I got wood !...

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yesterday I managed to pick up a real tidy set of 'King Cobra 3100I/h' irons and a matching 7-wood to go alongside them for what can only be described as 'loose change' from the bottom of my pocket...

Now, as some may know I've recently been struggling with certain club/swing related issues the biggest of which being 'distance' well as of this morning I can now confirm that that issue has been well and truly put to bed as I now see a consistent 140 with the 8i and I've got a sneaky suspicion that I may even have spotted a hint of a draw on several occasions this morning...

Anyway back to the wood thing, does anybody here use a 7-wood or is it the done thing to use a hybrid instead these days, only reason I ask is cos, well, all I can say is 'Wow' what have I been missing for the last few years ?...

As covered earlier it's a '3100I/h' 7-wood in 'stiff flex/steel' that matches the rest of the irons, now having only used a 3-wood previously and hybrids for everything else (which I'm struggling a touch with I mite add) my first tentative swing with it this morning saw a sweet, medium height, penetrating drive with a touch of draw thrown in for good measure and about 160yds, now bare in mind this was first thing this morning and when I say first thing I mean 5:30am, the next several shots produced the same outcome with only slight variations in distance...

I'm now seriously considering this thing for use on our longer par-3's like our 196yd/5th, 185yd/10th and 205yd/7th...

Are any of you gunslingers out there regularly packing a 7-wood, do you prefer it, if not then why not or do you just see better results with an equivalent hybrid, your experiences and any pros/cons 'wood' be most appreciated please... :thup:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
simply, if it works for you, then put it in your bag, do not be swayed by fashion or other peoples opinions,

You cannot argue with success :)

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am fashionably unfashionable and I have carried a 7 wood for at least the last ten years. It works for me and is great for 160+ yard par 3s in windy conditions for example. Also for most of my second shots on par 5s. I carry an adjustable Nike rescue too and find it is a lot easier and consistent for me to hit than my 5 iron.

As Phil says, if it works for you then go with it. It's scores what counts, guv. Not what the latest trends are. :thup:

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Without a doubt it's already carved out its place in my bag, not sure what's gonna get relegated as of yet, I carry a 22* hybrid which can be a bit 'hit n miss' at times and I hit it to roughly the same sort of distances but could I reasonably expect the 7w to be a bit longer or is 160/170 about right for it, so far I've hit about 25-30 shots with it and not a single hook/slice/top/fat/thin/sky/shank or duff in sight...:thup:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
7 woods are really great if you get on with the extra shaft length compared to hybrids.

I keep one for use on our 9 hole course because I love the drop and stop I get from it. Sadly these days those I have lost about 20 yards with it so it no longer suits the 190 yard par 3. Fantastic club for getting good distance out of the long grass.

I used to carry both a 5 wood and a 7 wood but found myself virtually always reaching for the 7 so I ditched the 5

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
be prepared to be called a tart by most of the nw possy, as my personal experience can attest to :mad:

an seen as I don't have one anymore... ye big tart :rofl:

seriously tho, cracking clubs. I found the older versions worked better for me.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had one in the bag for donkeys years and I would not be without it. Why anyone worries about what other people think about what they have in the bag is silly. As people have said it if works for you go for it.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Currently got a BB 7 wood adjusted to 20° and with a 5 wood shaft in it....
Goes like a rocket
Had one in the bag in and off for years...

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hit it, stick it on greens and let others call you whatever they want. If it gets the ball going forward in the right direction what's the issue?

No issue at all, took it out for its first knock about tonight and it did exactly as I asked of it 'reduced our 196yd-5th to a quivering wreck' a nice easy swing off the tee and the ball just headed straight at it, ended up with a '3' net '2' also got my lowest score so far with the new irons 'gross 86-net 65' off 21...

Whilst I'm here can I pick some brains concerning a 6i issue, the issue is 'I can't hit the bloody thing' any suggestions as to why that might be would be most appreciated...

A little more info on that subject, I can hit my 7/8/9/pw/sw/50* and 60* irons absolutely spot on, my 3-wood, 22* hybrid and now the 7w are all good to go but the bloody 6i has got the beating of me for some reason and it's really beginning to niggle at me...

I carry a 5i but god knows why as I don't use it (dead weight) I carry the 6i but once again 'I don't use it' could this be the issue, a lack of practice with it...

What would you chaps do in my situation, I don't use the 6i, I've no real need for it, I've got other clubs that do the same job, would I be best off just shoving it in the locker and forgetting about it ?...

ps, that's 6 irons in general, not just the new one...

Last edited:

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hit your 7 iron and then try and hit your 6 using the exact same set up - stand the same distance from the ball, grip down on the shaft if you have to, ball position the same. You should hit it just as well.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
No issue at all, took it out for its first knock about tonight and it did exactly as I asked of it 'reduced our 196yd-5th to a quivering wreck' a nice easy swing off the tee and the ball just headed straight at it, ended up with a '3' net '2' also got my lowest score so far with the new irons 'gross 86-net 65' off 21...

Whilst I'm here can I pick some brains concerning a 6i issue, the issue is 'I can't hit the bloody thing' any suggestions as to why that might be would be most appreciated...

A little more info on that subject, I can hit my 7/8/9/pw/sw/50* and 60* irons absolutely spot on, my 3-wood, 22* hybrid and now the 7w are all good to go but the bloody 6i has got the beating of me for some reason and it's really beginning to niggle at me...

I carry a 5i but god knows why as I don't use it (dead weight) I carry the 6i but once again 'I don't use it' could this be the issue, a lack of practice with it...

What would you chaps do in my situation, I don't use the 6i, I've no real need for it, I've got other clubs that do the same job, would I be best off just shoving it in the locker and forgetting about it ?...

ps, that's 6 irons in general, not just the new one...

Buy a 9 wood.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most players have what I call a 'transition point' in there clubs for me it used to be the 4 iron and has now become the 5 iron. My reason is simply because I just do not hit the thing often enough.

I used to go to the range regularly and most practice was done with a 5 iron these days range practice is only about twice a year and I only need the 5 iron about once or twice in a round.

So my advice would be to practice with the 6 as a club of choice.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well I shoved it in the locker this morning with a view to coming back to it at a later date, I just don't need it at the moment !...

This morning I hit a 3w 200yds or so off the 1st tee to within 250yds of the green (short drive for me but being the first swing of the day and all) I then hit the 22* a further 150/160yds which left me with a sub 100yd flop/lob onto the green (pitching wedge) which ended up about 4ft from the pin for a one putt giving me a 4 net 3, one under par...

This 'generally speaking' is how my rounds pan out for the most, long/longish 3w off the tee followed by either the 22* or another 3w which 'generally' leaves me with a sub 150yd shot into the green and as long as I pull that off I'm larfin 'putting aside that is' which can range anywhere from a single long putt to several short'ns depending on the type of day I'm having...

Depending on how I get on I may look into a hybrid fitting and just stick with the short irons, dunno yet, we'll just have to see how it goes fer now !... :thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Carry this smart hitting into comp rounds and you'll soon have enough winnings to get a lesson and learn to hit the 6 iron properly. FOr me, it's no different as a 7 iron and I treat it exactly the same

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Carry this smart hitting into comp rounds and you'll soon have enough winnings to get a lesson and learn to hit the 6 iron properly. FOr me, it's no different as a 7 iron and I treat it exactly the same

That's the part that I just don't get as after all it's only a half inch longer and maybe a degree flatter than the 7i but the way I've been hitting it of late you'd have thought it'd come from another cosmos altogether, just don't get it, anyway it's in solitary confinement for the foreseeable future but I may get round to it at a later date, lucky for me I don't rely on it and I hardly ever used it anyway... :thup:

ps, been spying hybrid equivalents on eBay this avo...:rolleyes:

Last edited: