Hybrids are the devil's own clubs; how about driving irons?

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have two hybrids - Ping G25 - 17 deg and 20 deg plus a Ping 2 iron. I hit the 17 deg and 2 iron well off the ground or a tee but cannot get consistency with the 20 deg but from rough, it is usually OK.
I hired some clubs whilst on holiday last year and found the Taylormade M2, 21 deg to be superb and hit it really well from the fairway. Please explain.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
I have two hybrids - Ping G25 - 17 deg and 20 deg plus a Ping 2 iron. I hit the 17 deg and 2 iron well off the ground or a tee but cannot get consistency with the 20 deg but from rough, it is usually OK.
I hired some clubs whilst on holiday last year and found the Taylormade M2, 21 deg to be superb and hit it really well from the fairway. Please explain.

shaft, swingweight, shape of leading edge, type of grass... etc

and maybe a sprinkling of you being awesome on holiday...?

it's an awesome club though, design hails from Adams...

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I use both because they give me different options.

My hybrid gives me a higher flight and is easier to use our of the rough. Gives me a shot of 200-215 yds depending on conditions. Also tends to land soft. My Mizuno H5 4 iron is as easy to hit but is a more penetrating flight (including the option of a punch). Gives me a 185-200 yard option depending.

Have tried 2 hybrids and 3 and 4 irons but combination is best for me.

Love my Mizuno H5

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I seem to collect hybrids like some forumites collect putters

I have 6 at the moment from 19-27 degree, graphite & S/steel and I love them all except the RBZ stage 2, which ironically was the one I spent the most to buy!

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I bought a Titleist 2 iron a few months ago. Loved it initially, but am now preferring my old Callaway hybrid. Just on the grounds of forgiveness and consistency.

chip barm

Club Champion
Visit site
i had an SLDR S hybrid with a graphite shaft. couldn't get on with it. sold it to a pal who hits it beautifully. i replaced it with a mizuno fli-hi. steel shaft. identical to my JPX850 irons. i get on really well with it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Swapped from a G25 to a G hybrid as the G25 was consistently inconsistent. The G is even worse, especially off the tee and I've lost all confidence in hybrids. I've got the 4 in the Ping crossover firmly in my sights

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Maybe try a Cobra Baffler dws. Had mine since new, about 2009. It's 20 degrees loft regular aldila high launch 65g. Never had a problem hitting it and not had a lesson with it.
I use it all over the place, fairway, tee and semi.
Just so easy to hit

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Swapped from a G25 to a G hybrid as the G25 was consistently inconsistent. The G is even worse, especially off the tee and I've lost all confidence in hybrids. I've got the 4 in the Ping crossover firmly in my sights
I found the offset in crossover hard to control and hit a lot of low hooks.
and it's not so good out of the rough.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having used the Mizzy MP-H4 2i & 3i I will say that my Aeroburner Hybrid is a lot easier and far more consistent.

But I agree with Bob in that most people do not understand how to hit them. I tried hybrids when they were pretty new to the market and could never get on with them, so I just carried a 2i instead.

But after being taught how to hit one I will never be without it again. I got taught to set up like a 5i and swing like a 5i, do not try and sweep it off the turf. I always take a small divot, well more like a scuff on the fairway when using my hybrid.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have an 18* long iron thing and a 17* hybrid. The Hybrid goes way further than the long iron thing because it have so much of a longer shaft.

I love the Srixon long iron and its highly rated.