Hybrid clubs ?

Mandofred

Visit site
I have Mizuno clk 16, 19 + 22 hybrids. They are all adjustable 2 degrees up or down. The 16 is in the garage (and will be sold at some point) since I got a 5 wood.....the 5 wood went a little further and was more consistent for me. I currently have the 19 set at 20, and the 22 set at 24. I really like that 24 setting so I'm thinking about getting a 25 degree, drop the 19 out of the bag and lower the 22 back to 20/21 and let the 25 degree go from 24 to 27.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Picked they two hybrids up today. One is 20 and other 23 so the 23 should go higher right ? What one should go further and what kind of yards should i be getting from both ? Might go to the range later to test them.
I have the same lofts in two of my G25s. I normally expect about 190-195 with the 20° and around 175-180 with the 23°. Obviously give or take a bit depending on strike, conditions etc.

Mandofred

Visit site
You guys are animals!! I hit my 24 about 160 in the air, 20 about 170 (180 with some roll). I've given up on hitting it very far and have really started swinging shorter and easier....getting more consistent because of it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You guys are animals!! I hit my 24 about 160 in the air, 20 about 170 (180 with some roll). I've given up on hitting it very far and have really started swinging shorter and easier....getting more consistent because of it.
I was talking full distances on mine, so not really that big.

Mandofred

Visit site
It doesn't really matter how far you hit them..what's important is that you know how far you hit them...
That's.....what I've gone for. There is one hole on our course I can't get to in regulation unless it's summer and things are rolling really well. A couple more I really have to hit a couple of good shots to get there. When I go out to the practice ground I put cones out at various distances (usually 40,60,80,100yds). Further out than that and I can't tell very well where the ball lands between the cones. I'm pretty decent at knowing how far my 9 iron- 60 degree wedge go. Coming up to sloppy condition season now....rain later this week and a medal this Saturday so I am expecting the ball to land and go almost nowhere.

Distances I expect with a decent swing.....which I am getting close to having.....
Driver- no idea, I know where a good shot on our course is.....after that I deal with how far I want the next shot to go.
5 wood- 180-200 depending on conditions and how hard I swing. With sloppy times coming that will turn into 170- 180 with no roll.
20 hybrid- 170-180
24 hybrid- 155-170
5 iron- 150
6 iron- 135-140
7 iron- 125-130
8 iron- 105-125 this club is a bit of a multi-tool for me, can take it down to 90yds with no problem.
9 iron- 90-105
W- 75-90
52- 65-70
56- 40-60 turning this one into a multi-tool as well....in the process
60- 30-45

Someone I play with regularly with hits it a fair bit further than me, but all over the place. I'm a 9hc, he's 15. I really wish he would let me shorten and widen his swing......I think he would drop to 10 with a swing that is short and more consistent, but sacrifice the long drive.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have 2 a 19 degree and 22 degree .. they are my 3 and 4 replacements. I think you Should select them purely on distance and ease. I have had the same ones for around 6-8 yrs, I think. Saturday I had a lie in the first cut off the fairway and 180 yards into the wind. I just took my 4hybrid and just took the shot with the ambition to move it forward, it ended up 3 ft from the pin.. it seems to be a case of just relax, hit it and the results will be okay.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As others have said, I also struggled with long irons and eventually sacked them off for hybrids. Was definitely a good decision, hybrids are much easier to launch. I have three, all Ping G25 in 20, 23 and 27 degrees - then my longest iron is a 7 (which is 30°). Lucky for you, Ping hybrids are usually good.

I have the Ping G25 23 and find it hard to set up at address it seems to offset/ open to me and I kept hitting it left, tried hard yesterday to square the club face but the balance didn’t feel right.

Have you had any issues with this ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have the Ping G25 23 and find it hard to set up at address it seems to offset/ open to me and I kept hitting it left, tried hard yesterday to square the club face but the balance didn’t feel right.

Have you had any issues with this ?
I do probably set up with it a fraction closed at address because I have problems fading them anyway. I thought that was my fault but maybe it was the clubs all along! I think you're right, the higher lofted ones do fall slightly open if you just rest them on the ground as I've noticed it more on the 27°. As I say, I just address it maybe a millimetre closed.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Picked they two hybrids up today. One is 20 and other 23 so the 23 should go higher right ? What one should go further and what kind of yards should i be getting from both ? Might go to the range later to test them.

I did the same fairly early on in my golfing life, to bridge the gap between 5 iron and 3 wood. However, don't really use the 23 degree very much. I don't really find I need two clubs in that gap, though might do if I continue to improve.

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
I picked up a 4 hybrid a couple of months ago.

Annoyingly, i can hit it great at the range, feels great and goes nice and straight.

Haven't ever been able to replicate it on the course - no idea why

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m not a long hitter but would say the carry on my 19* is about 170 and rolls out a bit, it usually keeps under 200 but I am working on hitting it longer without losing my straight shot with it.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If I liked living life in the left bundai then I'd fill my bag full of hybrids. Since I don't like that one bit, I'll stick with my 4 iron (and sometimes even a 3) :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I liked living life in the left bundai then I'd fill my bag full of hybrids. Since I don't like that one bit, I'll stick with my 4 iron (and sometimes even a 3) :LOL:
I wish I could find some of these magical hybrids that supposedly go left. Mine always go right.

D

Deleted member 1147

I wish I could find some of these magical hybrids that supposedly go left. Mine always go right.
Speed your swing up, then They’ll go left. That’s why mines in the garage until winter .