Hybrid clubs ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The longest iron I carry now is a 7 iron. I'm not alone in this move, although ditching the 6 iron is probably a little further than many. I have 2, 20 and 23 degree as they suit what I need. You may want to get lower lofts, your choice. If you have dropped your 4 and 5 irons then perhaps something around the 20 degree mark would be a good place to start. Get one, see how you like it.

Hybrids particularly help people with slower swing speeds but the fact that pro's carry them shows that they help all levels.

The good news for you is that you are a Ping man and they make cracking hybrids.

One word of warning, they can be problematic until you get used to them. Persevere though, they can really help to make the game easier if you can crack them.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me
20 degrees replaces a 3 iron and makes a good alternative for me to a 3 wood for tight lies. Much less loft and you will struggle to hit it.
Around 24 replaces the 4 iron good all round
Around 29 alternative to the 5 iron. Great club for getting out of deep rough with distance as well
I still carry a 5 iron

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Definitely give a hybrid a go, as mentioned above many have dropped their longer irons for them. For your first one to try I would suggest one in the 22* to 25* range.

Personally, I find that I strike irons better and just carry a 17* hybrid as I prefer it to a 3-wood.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As others have said, I also struggled with long irons and eventually sacked them off for hybrids. Was definitely a good decision, hybrids are much easier to launch. I have three, all Ping G25 in 20, 23 and 27 degrees - then my longest iron is a 7 (which is 30°). Lucky for you, Ping hybrids are usually good.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Something to be aware of if you're a slicer....ping i series woods and hybrids were aimed at the better player and the face was set a little open to combat the hook.
This may not help if you slice.

Neeko1988

Visit site
I have recently bought the sim max driver, 3 wood and hybrid. 3 hybrid is one of the nicest I have hit and the ball really flies. Would really recommend you trying one

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
is slice hitting left and hook right ? I almost never hit right it’s either middle or left i hit

For a right handed player

Hitting it left is one of 3 things
An overdrawn shot
A hook
or a
A pull
Without seeing the overall flight of the ball it would be hard to advise what it was.

Similarly hitting right can be
Too much fade
A slice
or a
Push

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Another hybrid fan - I have 3 (19, 23, 26 replacing 3,4 and 5 irons).
I've used hybrids for years (even several years before Todd Hamilton's Open winning use of Sonartec ones!), so can't understand those who want to make the game harder by persisting with long irons.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another hybrid fan - I have 3 (19, 23, 26 replacing 3,4 and 5 irons).
I've used hybrids for years (even several years before Todd Hamilton's Open winning use of Sonartec ones!), so can't understand those who want to make the game harder by persisting with long irons.

I also have 3 (22, 26 and 30) to replace 4, 5 and 6 irons. It's the way to go.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I’ve 2 hybrids, a 16 & 23/24 and am
Seriously swaying towards a 26 as they’re just a cheating stick.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My 19 degree is superb off the tee, a real fairway finder. Not very workable mind you but it’s pretty straight.

I will probably get more when I replace my iron set but due to gapping I need to save up to replace everything but the driver and putter... so I am pretty much stuck with what I have for now.

Last edited: