Hybrid as long, straighter, than 3W & Driver?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Once you accept that fundamentally 220yd carry is well within the underlying capability of a 19° hybrid everything else comes down to the player and his relative capabilities.

I've seen many people who can hit a 5i reasonably consistently from the tee around 190 carry, 210/220 all in, but who have no real average with any of their longer, stronger, clubs because they can't handle them! More common is the 5w consistently being longer than 3w or driver.

Currently you seem to have found a club that works really well for you - enjoy it. You will be hitting the 3w 260 in no time 😀

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The heads/shafts are:

Driver - Cleveland Launcher DST 9.5*, Diamana 44vSL Flex-S
3W - Cleveland Launcher DST 13.5*, Diamana 64vSL Flex-S
Hybrid - Mizuno MP650 19*, Fujikura Orochi Stiff 70g

They're obviously not fitted for me as at the moment i'm just ironing out daft mistakes/lack of concentration and reigning in the swing between my good rounds and my bad rounds - currently the difference between good rounds and bad rounds is 30 shots...don't ask me how, I...I have no idea
as Bob says with that distance with a hybrid, even 400 yard hole would be a hybrid and 7 iron, you should be able to get around most courses no problem.

work on the short game and you will see the handicap racing down

njt1986

Visit site
Ignoring the distance the improvement in straightness is a simple factor of the loft.

more loft usually equates to less side spin.

Ooooohhh... so then, in theory, a higher lofted Driver would help negate *some* of the inconsistency? Or am I being way too simple

njt1986

Visit site
as Bob says with that distance with a hybrid, even 400 yard hole would be a hybrid and 7 iron, you should be able to get around most courses no problem.

work on the short game and you will see the handicap racing down

Cheers, I am trying to arrange a fitting nearby for some new wedges to help me be more consistent in the main scoring areas. What you say makes complete sense, I need to stop playing super aggressively and picking up the Driver all the time and play smarter to get the scores more consistent.

Thanks guys, my knowledge of the technical/equipment side of golf is very limited so I appreciate you guys educating me a little

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Ooooohhh... so then, in theory, a higher lofted Driver would help negate *some* of the inconsistency? Or am I being way too simple
Possibly.
More loft = more spin. It also makes good contact easier which reduces the tilt of the backspin (there is no sidespin really, just a tilt of the backspin)
But too much spin can stall the ball in the air so reducing distance.
There's a balance. Too little spin and the ball won't get in the hair, too much and it goes high and nowhere.
Different head and shaft combinations can change spin quite substantially - as can the ball.
If you slice, a higher lofted driver makes decent contact easier but puts more spin on the ball
A lower loft puts less spin on but makes contact harder...
So, generally, a higher lofted driver can compensate for some deficiencies but can lose you some distance in the process.
Alternatively, it could've the answer.....go get fitted!

njt1986

Visit site
Hmm, seems I might just have to bite the bullet and get fitted then...any recommendations seeing as you’re also in Aylesbury?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Without seeing your swing etc to me 9.5 degree loft is in the area for a good driver of the golf ball. I would have thought that it worth trying something in the 10.5 area or switching to a more modern driver which is adjustable for loft so you can work out what works best for you.