How's your course bearing up in this exceptionally wet weather?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Course re-opened yesterday morning about 10. Played 18 with the course in surprisingly good nic. A few squishy parts in places, but considering the rain we've had, and the way it used to be 5 or 6 years ago, very much in good order for the time of year.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Guildford sat on chalk so always drains well..... I am in Elstead, near Godalming this morning, collecting mum-in-law.. Perfect sunny morning for golf! :-(

Drive back down M4 this afternoon, golf at Newport tomorrow.... it was closed Saturday, but open yesterday and today. I bet it pours down there tomorrow! Sneaking out for 9 holes on Xmas Day might get me into trouble!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Open today for 14 holes carry only. Apparently 15 and 16 are under water (lowest part of the course) and so they could be out of play for a while yet depending on rain falling again and how much the sun and win can contribute to drying it out

D

Deleted member 21258

Rain is driving me nuts, family up at the weekend so didn't get to play when it was dry at away courses, all open.

Can play tomorrow or Boxing day, as free and flipping bands of rain due to blow in and across on both days currently east and west, Grrrr, breath :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Wasn’t bad at all considering how much rain we have had. It even rained today whilst playing.

Very playable but 11 and 13 were both on temps and that’s understandable considering we are lucky to be playing

I heard you were out in front of me, so you’d know the same temps were in place, my god they’re big holes ?

Fairways and greens were excellent considering.

We got held up by a family outing in front but got through them on the 11th tee when they stopped for breakfast being handed over the fence ? obviously when they then teed off behind us, they’d backed up the course behind ?

I didn’t know it was the staff party and all the clubhouse was being closed until we went to play ?

I think all bunkers that have 75% of water in need to be GUR, I found a few and had to drop in a small area of gloopy sand that wasn’t underwater.

Back on Friday, hope it stays dry until then ?️ ⛳

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played Reading GC for the second time in a week, much dryer but this just made the mud stick to the trolley wheels! Also there were 6 temporary holes this time around.

D

Deleted member 17920

I heard you were out in front of me, so you’d know the same temps were in place, my god they’re big holes ?

Fairways and greens were excellent considering.

We got held up by a family outing in front but got through them on the 11th tee when they stopped for breakfast being handed over the fence ? obviously when they then teed off behind us, they’d backed up the course behind ?

I didn’t know it was the staff party and all the clubhouse was being closed until we went to play ?

I think all bunkers that have 75% of water in need to be GUR, I found a few and had to drop in a small area of gloopy sand that wasn’t underwater.

Back on Friday, hope it stays dry until then ?️ ⛳
I did see the family outing whilst we was on 16.
I know who they are and I shall be having a quiet word as it was a busy day today.

Those buckets are good ain’t they. They even make me feel like I can hole a putt ? I had my best round all year today with those helping my score ?

The bunkers are just wet through and solid but it’s something we are looking at.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I did see the family outing whilst we was on 16.
I know who they are and I shall be having a quiet word as it was a busy day today.

we could see that some of the group was very new to golf, because instead of teeing off immediately when they could, the lady in the group who could obviously play was coaching them and showing how to stand, swing etc, like giving a lesson, meaning once we putted out and got to the tee, we were then stood waiting for them whilst they were either still walking to their balls, looking for balls or knobbing it up the fairway with multiple blows because they were delaying themselves on the tee.

When we were approaching the 10th green they were all huddled at the fence eating where a car with flasks & food had obviously been arranged to meet them, they did let us through but then swamped all around us as we were teeing off and immediately teed off behind us but with it not being a natural stop that anyone else can do, the other group who was behind us and very close at times due to us waiting for them on most tees before the 11th, then got snagged as the unatural stop congested everything behind.

We soon caught up with the fourball further ahead on the 13th fairway who were also very slow getting off the 14th tee and found ourselves waiting on every tee and every approach into the greens from then.

The family outing group was very noisy then behind us as they were now on the greens when we were teeing off, dropping their bags on the ground and talking loudly, they had no thought towards others around them, they would be more suited to a pay & play for such a family outing!

But we we’re still on the 16th tee in 3hrs 10mins as we pushed on, and only due to waiting on the other fourball on the last 3 greens and 18th fairway for a few minutes did we finish in 3hrs 45, I reckon without the ‘family outing’ for 10 holes and the last bit of congestion we’d have been round in under 3hrs 30.

7 skins against 8 & 3 softened the frustration at the end, especially with a par on the 18th for a 3 skin rollover ?⛳

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
13 holes open today as we have been inundated far side of course by runoff from neighbouring fields - only happens when weather is unremittingly dire - as it has been. Frustratingly there is nothing we can do about it. The runoff forms a stream that runs across four holes making them unplayable as even though underfoot is otherwise fine - we can’t cross the ‘stream’.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
9 holes open today so I went up this afternoon as I've not played for a couple of weeks. I've never seen the course so saturated, the ground is just full of water with nowhere for it to go, the course was so soft and shouldn't have been open in my view.

There are some great depressions in fairways and rough areas where the greenkeepers have driven their equipment over the soft ground, who knows how long they'll take to recover.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was up at Leckford today. The New Course was soft but fine, all greends and tees still in use. Tis on chalk soil though so drains well.

Playing the old course tomorrow.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
We opened yesterday and 15 of us played - nearly everyone carried.

Wasn't too bad underfoot and certainly have played it in wetter conditions in the past - had become very yucky prior to closure. The rest has done us (players) no harm and the course a lot of good.(y)

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played at Leven Links yesterday and the course is in fantastic condition and the greens were fast and very true, so the weather hasn't had much of an impact on the course but that's just one of the great things about Links golf

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Fully open today with bunkers GUR. Trolley's allowed. I thought it was actually in good condition considering and apart from one bunker on the 1st still holding water all the others had drained and I thought were eminently playable. Our 15th and 16th were the wettest but again aside from small patches of sodden ground they played fine. No roll on any hole so played very long

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We've been open with 4 temps since Xmas eve
Not getting up there until Monday so I'm hoping it'll be a full course by then as there's no rain due.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played at The PGA today and I must admit I was amazed at how dry it was for this time of year. Bit windy but had a great day