How's your course bearing up in this exceptionally wet weather?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I went on to our practice green today, to do a bit of a chipping practice. I hit 3 shots and gave up, as the ball simply isn't rolling.

I've had drier baths.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We had 10 holes open on Sunday, back down to 8 today. It's just so wet and soft.
It it stays dry to the weekend, I reckon we'll get up to 12. It it stays dry for a week, maybe 18...

Wolf

Visit site
Popped by to make my final goodbyes as im not renewing so needed to cancel membership. It just looks so wet and boggy, the grass practice tee was just a quagmire where people have continued to use it. The putting green outside club house was mainly standing water and a quick glance at course glad I've not been bothering, would come off the course as filthy as in my days of laying in ditches waiting for targets to pop up.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just heard they've made the midweek comp as a 15 hole non-qualifier tomorrow. Hoping the trolley's allowed today will be extended tomorrow (given the showers forecast). Board comp on Saturday so going to be nip and tuck to get the 16th open for that. Already had to move several events back so the diary already looking very crowded

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had an email from the club. We are fully open 1-14 and 18 but in order to get the board even done, they've decided to make the 15th a long par 3 of around 180 yards (assuming we'll play off the normal tees) and they are cutting a temporary green short of the heavily damp area. They are also making 16 a par and again assume we'll play to the green and the there is a temporary tee going in beyond the wet areas that runs across 15 and 16. That would allow easy access as normal from the 16th green back to the 17th tee as normal (which is a 220+ yard par 3) and then onto 18.

They have said the SI will remain the same as normal for these reduced holes and we'll have 18 holes of sorts to get the competition played. Seems like a reasonable compromise and fair play to the management and green staff for finding a compromise to give the members a 18 hole course of sorts. With some warmer weather on the forecast for next week hopefully it'll be a short term solution although more rain coming in Saturday/Sunday

sunshine

Visit site
Had an email from the club. We are fully open 1-14 and 18 but in order to get the board even done, they've decided to make the 15th a long par 3 of around 180 yards (assuming we'll play off the normal tees) and they are cutting a temporary green short of the heavily damp area. They are also making 16 a par and again assume we'll play to the green and the there is a temporary tee going in beyond the wet areas that runs across 15 and 16. That would allow easy access as normal from the 16th green back to the 17th tee as normal (which is a 220+ yard par 3) and then onto 18.

They have said the SI will remain the same as normal for these reduced holes and we'll have 18 holes of sorts to get the competition played. Seems like a reasonable compromise and fair play to the management and green staff for finding a compromise to give the members a 18 hole course of sorts. With some warmer weather on the forecast for next week hopefully it'll be a short term solution although more rain coming in Saturday/Sunday

My club posts a course status update on the website. I get an email every time the status changes, and it's also on the app (I can choose to get a push notification from the app). I think most clubs do something similar, with some now using twitter etc as well.

Why don't you suggest this to your course manager? I don't think it's fair on you that your golf club is relying on you to post a daily status update to members on here. It can't be very efficient either as I'm sure lots of the members don't visit this forum, and equally most of the posters on here won't be playing your course so it's not relevant to them.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Considering what's been going on for the last few months, our course was in surprisingly good condition.
Very promising.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well, sadly the joy of it is somewhat diminished by current events, but today our course is finally open on all 18 holes with all fairways and greens mown.
Can't remember when it first reduced, but I reckon it's been nearly 4 months since this was the case.
Are we the last to make it through??

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Our course has had the full 18 open pretty much throughout (greedy/stupid owners) but it's still a mess now. We'll need 2 weeks of good weather before it will be anywhere near worth playing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For the first time this year there was not a puddle to be seen anywhere. Bit annoying as I had forgotten to soak the towel before going out with all the ball washers out of commission.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Technically still a member although I doubt I'm going back there..The Zoo was open on full course early in the week with buggies allowed.
But I bet that puddle by the 3rd tee is still there...
Cant imagine the damage done to the course though....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played today. Our 15th and 16th are reduced. I think 15 is now playable full length (par 5) but that would leave a long walk back and the 16th for the first 200 yards is still really wet and has a large area of standing water which annoying

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I played foday. Course was a bit soggy in 'traditional' places (it's was worse a month or so ago) and there are a few patches where water has puddled but now disappeared - so grass is looking 'sad'. Surprisingly dry elsewhere and several of the (over half a dozen) lakes are actually quite 'low', though a couple are still quite high. Greens are fantastic - and seem as fast as mid summer! - still!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've just looked at the long range forecast. No rain for the next 2 weeks. Over the last 2 months we've had 1 day of rain. This follows 4 months of non stop rain. Which follows (a year ago) the hottest driest summer ever (maybe 76 was worse?).
In all the excitement I can't help thinking that the elephant in the room is just warming up.
T'aint natural.

sunshine

Visit site
I've just looked at the long range forecast. No rain for the next 2 weeks. Over the last 2 months we've had 1 day of rain. This follows 4 months of non stop rain. Which follows (a year ago) the hottest driest summer ever (maybe 76 was worse?).
In all the excitement I can't help thinking that the elephant in the room is just warming up.
T'aint natural.

I thought summer 2019 was roughly average or above average rainfall? It was 2018 that was super dry. Sorry to be pedantic, I know what you're getting at.

My feeling is this is something that has been pretty common in the last 20 years (my golfing life), so maybe t'is the "new natural."

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
T'aint natural.

I have the sprinklers on the front and back grass at present!