How's your course bearing up in this exceptionally wet weather?

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's getting worse at my course, its probably only been open 10 days this year and up to Saturday not open at all for 2-3 weeks.

Out of the blue on Friday they announced it would be open on Saturday as carry only (no surprise there) and that the ball must be teed up on all parts of the course except the green. This latter requirement is a first as far as I know for the club. So me and my partner rocked up on Saturday and started our round, getting used to the teeing up rule was tricky, remembering to pick up the tee after the shot even more so. Some parts of the course was frankly unplayable, with liquid mud oozing up and virtually covering the tops of our shoes. When looking back it was obvious that serious damage was being done by just walking on the fairways.

By the early afternoon anyone who had started a round seemed to have given up due to the conditions and the chatter in the clubhouse was along the lines why it had opened at all. The smart money was on the fact that membership renewal was due and because a good proportion of the membership had had virtually no golf for over 2 months, there would be a mess exodus from the club and opening it was again hope this would appease some members. If anything it might had had the opposite effect, I've vowed not to play it again until trollies are allowed and this isn't likely until sometime in April even if we had no further rain for a month. If things haven't improved significantly by the time the fees are due (end of March) I may consider moving clubs or even become a nomad.

It came as no surprise that the course was then closed on Sunday and remains so.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
It's getting worse at my course, its probably only been open 10 days this year and up to Saturday not open at all for 2-3 weeks.

Out of the blue on Friday they announced it would be open on Saturday as carry only (no surprise there) and that the ball must be teed up on all parts of the course except the green. This latter requirement is a first as far as I know for the club. So me and my partner rocked up on Saturday and started our round, getting used to the teeing up rule was tricky, remembering to pick up the tee after the shot even more so. Some parts of the course was frankly unplayable, with liquid mud oozing up and virtually covering the tops of our shoes. When looking back it was obvious that serious damage was being done by just walking on the fairways.

By the early afternoon anyone who had started a round seemed to have given up due to the conditions and the chatter in the clubhouse was along the lines why it had opened at all. The smart money was on the fact that membership renewal was due and because a good proportion of the membership had had virtually no golf for over 2 months, there would be a mess exodus from the club and opening it was again hope this would appease some members. If anything it might had had the opposite effect, I've vowed not to play it again until trollies are allowed and this isn't likely until sometime in April even if we had no further rain for a month. If things haven't improved significantly by the time the fees are due (end of March) I may consider moving clubs or even become a nomad.

It came as no surprise that the course was then closed on Sunday and remains so.

are not all parkland courses in your area the same though, like many up & down the country, I don’t think your clubs situation is unique.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The nearest course (Weybrook Park) is only about 5 miles away and hasn't closed this years AFAIK, the difference is my course is on clay and anything south of here is on chalk.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Having been 15 holes carry only all weekend it was the same 15 open today but trolley's allowed again. Typical as my back struggled again carrying. Supposedly a midweek comp on Thursday but with more rain tonight it'll be nip and tuck to see if they can get it fully open. It is only 15 and 16 that are struggling and 17 only closed as there is no logical route from the 14th to 17th tee. As these holes have been fully rested hopefully they will have begun to have drained by now and the green staff will have been working as best they can to get them playable. All getting a bit boring now and surely there can't be too much rain for too much longer.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Course has now been closed just 3 days short of 4 weeks, Every time there 's some progress on drying out, we get another downpour which sets us back to square one. Eg woke up Sunday morning after a couple of decent drying days - thinking could be open by tomorrow. Then Sunday lunchtime it absolutely hammered down again and we're at least two more days away from opening. Getting a bit tiresome.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Anyone else thinking this is never gonna end? I literally pray for clean shoes, shorts, polos only, and wondering what the towel is used for days!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played 18 holes yesterday, no temps. Probably play 18 tomorrow. The course has been closed though.

The course has improved in the last 2/3 years which has resulted in an influx of over 100 members. We are in The S.W. Of Cumbria.

Unfortunately our success will be to the detriment of 3 other Clubs in the area especially Grange over Sands which is continually under water with member numbers falling drastically

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I really feel for people on here, my course has never been closed at all and I don't think what we call frost greens have needed to be used.
Having said that, the wind and rain has been so bad on some days the course was unplayable.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Played today - back down to 14 holes open, with a few wet areas on the open fairways. Most holes reasonably dry though and all greens OK. Glad I have joined a links course (although the wind was brutal today! At least its drying the course out hopefully).

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Everything's open at mine, winter greens and fairway mats tho, new green keeper is doing a great job, guys giving updates by the hour for the past week, new puting area being installed right now and pro shop is all sat up too, so big changes this year, course looks in great shape for the amount of rain we have had

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
arranged to play this afternoon, was nice and sunny earlier, now its lashing down with Hail storms inbetween.... i'll give it a miss thanks

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Ellesborough just has 2 slightly sticky bits that are on the lowest parts of the course.
13th is a par 3 and the 14th co es back down the other side of the trees.
Theres a trolley park halfway up towards the 13th green
We leave trolleys there, take what clubs you need for the green and the next drive and pick up your trolley on the way back.
It's right at the bottom of the hill where the chalk starts to turn more to clay.
Rest of the course is almost bone dry