How's your course bearing up in this exceptionally wet weather?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
same where I play

The previous course manager used to do a review at 10.30 as well as the early morning one.
Fair enough, but sometimes it's just stupid.
At ours there can be a heavy downpour early doors temporarily flooding /closing the course, but a hour or so later the course has dried out and the sun is shining bright, but course still closed :mad:

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
1-14 plus 18 yesterday with greens and bunkers good and so New Captains foursomes comp went ahead. And a lovely sunny day. Nice to be out and me and my partner did pretty well with our 31pts stableford just outside the prizes in 3rd place. Enjoyable.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played yesterday, 16 holes open (12 & 16 been remodelled so out of play till end of this month, 18 cut back to a par 3 playing to practise green as that’s been done as well). Seriously impressed with how the course has taken the weather. Greens were in good condition, didn’t spot any standing water either.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Fair enough, but sometimes it's just stupid.
At ours there can be a heavy downpour early doors temporarily flooding /closing the course, but a hour or so later the course has dried out and the sun is shining bright, but course still closed :mad:
Our last greenkeeper would do that the new guy is doing inspections throughout the day might be closed in the morning and open around 12 think I'll pop up today if it's open

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
had an email saying the course builders were coming back to sort out some drainage issues at the Kings, not says the lew layout has been closed more this winter than the prev course had in the last 10 years and that was on flatter terrain than the new course:rolleyes:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I played an Open at Weston Super Mare yesterday. Some places were amazingly dry and some were as wet as they have ever been. Greens were really good. Was at Burnham and Berrow on Thurs/Friday and that had some lying water in places, but mainly didn't even need preferred lies!

Newport has been closed since Saturday. Might open tomorrow. Sunny and dry here this morning!

But, one glance at the rainfall figures tells you all you need to know. We need a dry warm Spring!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Shut today. Rightly so if conditions yesterday are anything to go by. The overnight rain was the final nail and will definitely be a quagmire. We could do with giving the greens a rest so would like to see it closed for a couple of days but doubt it'll happen

Fish

Banned
Visit site
13 holes open at my home course today, but I was playing away at Hollinwell today in an comp. AAE85C08-96E1-4D28-8EFF-82F671B4274B.jpeg

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
We opened today after being shut for 8 days but had already decided to have a Jolly down to Ludlow on the County card and had a lovely day in glorious sunshine although a chilly wind .

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Was Hollinwell in a good state? And how did you score?

Course was in excellent condition, we had a 2hr delay due to the frost, which doesn’t me, I don’t like hanging about, I also didn’t get on with the fairway mats that were out on some holes which you had to use between a couple markers, mainly about 150yds out in 100yd lengths. Some bunkers were full of water, some quite solid and compact, but overall the greens & fairways were superb. No silly scores, which speaks volumes, I played (Parred) all the par 3’s, and had a nice birdie on the 18th, other than that I scrambled far too much at times.

But a great day all the same in some good company with plenty of banter.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Course was in excellent condition, we had a 2hr delay due to the frost, which doesn’t me, I don’t like hanging about, I also didn’t get on with the fairway mats that were out on some holes which you had to use between a couple markers, mainly about 150yds out in 100yd lengths. Some bunkers were full of water, some quite solid and compact, but overall the greens & fairways were superb. No silly scores, which speaks volumes, I played (Parred) all the par 3’s, and had a nice birdie on the 18th, other than that I scrambled far too much at times.

Sounds better than a lot of days people have had lately.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The Zoo has the back 9 only open today...which has always puzzled me when they do that..
Theres a footpath that runs almost straight across the course.
From the end nearest the clubhouse you cross..
10th
8th
6th
5th
14th
15th
So a 50:50 split of front 9 and back 9
If the back9 is ok, why isnt the front 9 and if the front 9 is unplayable surely the back 9 cant be very good either...
I'm sure they're desperate for business by now but destroying your prime asset doesn't make sense.
Ellesborough, however, is fully open

D

Deleted member 17920

To birdie 18 is (y)

Really like Notts, I quite like the idea of mats on shorter par 4's through the winter.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's open today (Lord knows how, but I'm going nowhere near as I drove though on Friday and their was standing water EVERYWHERE and it's chucked it down last night.