How's your course bearing up in this exceptionally wet weather?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Played at the Oxfordshire on Friday, worse than a bog, it shouldn't have been open for play. Even standing on high ground your feet were under water or mud, it was shocking (see pics)

By contrast, played back at Leighton today for the first time in a week, and was pleasantly surprised at how good it looked. The fairways that were scorched off in the summer were green and lush, the scars from the new drainage were healing neatly. A few soft patches on a couple of greens but all in all looking very good for this time of year.

Attachments

• 57772204-C5B6-4257-890B-19CC3B4CA60C.jpeg
    57772204-C5B6-4257-890B-19CC3B4CA60C.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 58
  • A8EEC248-58BC-48A7-98E8-ADC11B6A2895.jpeg
    A8EEC248-58BC-48A7-98E8-ADC11B6A2895.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 9DA8536E-206C-4596-BE58-26748E7A8D50.jpeg
    9DA8536E-206C-4596-BE58-26748E7A8D50.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 60
  • DEF95727-FAE1-40BF-A6E1-6AFBFFD1B965.jpeg
    DEF95727-FAE1-40BF-A6E1-6AFBFFD1B965.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 59
  • EAEB0603-0180-417B-AD2D-42D7A149495B.jpeg
    EAEB0603-0180-417B-AD2D-42D7A149495B.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 59

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played at the Oxfordshire on Friday, worse than a bog, it shouldn't have been open for play. Even standing on high ground your feet were under water or mud, it was shocking (see pics)

By contrast, played back at Leighton today for the first time in a week, and was pleasantly surprised at how good it looked. The fairways that were scorched off in the summer were green and lush, the scars from the new drainage were healing neatly. A few soft patches on a couple of greens but all in all looking very good for this time of year.

That's brutal !

D

Deleted member 17920

Wow. Just wow.

I really liked the Oxfordshire when I went but I wouldn’t ever go back in winter looking at those pics ?

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
We’re back to 18 holes as from today and the course is in better nick after a few dry days, hopefully forecast is accurate as it’s showing no rain for a week, and I have a few matches to catch up on!!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Still at 3 temps today and looking at NMW's pics of the Oxfordshire I'm not hugely optimistic that the zoo is going to be much better tomorrow.
Still, dragging Fragger out for a walk...or paddle:oops:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Full 18 holes all weekend. The bunkers are badly compacted and the green staff have a big task to get them sorted tomorrow (and the greens need a trim) but given how much rain we've had it is still in good condition considering. Good news as I'm off all week so hoping to get some serious amount of golf in

D

Deleted member 15344

Wow. Just wow.

I really liked the Oxfordshire when I went but I wouldn’t ever go back in winter looking at those pics ?
In fairness that was the worst areas and they were in “walkways” - the greens were all very good , the fairways were ok , first cut decent - the most problems seems to be on the areas where people took trolleys - course was playable but should have been carry only.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
In fairness that was the worst areas and they were in “walkways” - the greens were all very good , the fairways were ok , first cut decent - the most problems seems to be on the areas where people took trolleys - course was playable but should have been carry only.

I think you're being too kind Phil. I agree the greens were good, but that wasn't just the walkways , a couple of the feet pics were taken on the fairways. There were a lot of areas on and around the fairways that were muddy like that or under water. One of those pics was a par three, there was not a single bit of land between tee and green that was dry to walk on. I've played it a few times in wet and muddy conditions but this year was by far the worst.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Agree. Looks unpleasant, can’t see the enjoyment in wading through that!

Why would you let a course get into that state?

At the first signs of cutting up badly the fairways should be roped off to keep traffic up the sides and only venture across to reach the ball with club in hand.

I've played the odd course like that down the years. I remember the first hole at mersey valley being a brown bog.

Imurg

Visit site
The zoo isn't far off the state of the Oxfordshire.
Still very soft, occasional standing water, greens soft and bobbly with ok pace in them (and they've picked up a disease of some sort)
Greens were hand cut today
Impossible to tell where fairway meets rough.
Lots of areas roped off - more needed!
Really, it's in exactly the same condition it was in last time I played there - 4th December!
Some of the bunkers are a foot deep in water.
All in all it's not good and is going to need a long time to dry out.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Fully open but concerned that given the amount of green fees out there the two really wet holes (15 and 16) will have got badly churned up as most members have been sticking to the rough with their trolleys and can't see them doing the same despite instructions to do so on the 1st tee box. Bunkers still GUR which was disappointing and hope the green staff will be getting these back in play asap and none I've played in the last few days still have standing water.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Still on a composite course with some shortened holes and some temp greens. Problem now is a lot of local courses are closed and we seem happy to take green fees from their members. Hour queue on the first today, 3 groups waiting on the next 2 tees so turned round and came in.

Imurg

Visit site
Here we go again....another week of rain.
Zoo has been fully open twice this year so far. Most days there's 1-4 temps but I know from experience that if there are are 3-4 temps the rest of the course will be bad.
I've played there 5 times since the beginning of December and twice at the new club - got 1 more "pre-member" round left this month.
The rain Tuesday and Wednesday will put paid to the normal Wednesday at the zoo and more on thursday will scupper Friday...
Some better weather next week and want to go round Ellesborough in decent weather.
Only 80 days to go.....:oops:

D

Deleted member 1147

Closed today after overnight downpour.
‘Twas like a bog in places yesterday

Last edited by a moderator:

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
After all the rain yesterday I didn't think we would get a game today but the course was fine but playing a bit longer than normal due to the course being a tad soft

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had a thoroughly enjoyable game today. We had a fair bit of rain recently but the course was fine today. Obviously wintry soft but perfectly playable.

Match went down to the final putts on 18. Holed an 8 footer for the win :)

D

Deleted member 25172

Awful. Just awful. Open from day to day if no rain is coming in over night. When it is open some of the holes are terrible. The ground just can’t take any more water so it all just sits on top. Would need a good week or more without rain to dry it out. And we all know that’s not gonna happen. ???