How's your course bearing up in this exceptionally wet weather?

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
We're based at Selsdon. I played a friendly round on Wednesday with our club secretary, and can say that it was very hard work. I'm still aching from the physical effort of pushing the trolley and walking through mud.

Still, the greens aren't TOO bad, but the white tee areas are off limits, and there are many places on various fairways where it was squelchy so I was skidding while moving about, or nervous about my footing while taking a shot. I also discovered one of my shoes leaks. *sigh*

I'm not playing again until it's not rained significantly for a month...or I've 'splashed' out (geddit!) on an electric trolley and new golf shoes.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our has been closed for 2 days now but the new greens Manager is super cautious. In the past it would have been open, just on all temp greens just so the mad dogs who go out in any weather could go.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Still open but on a composite course made up of 18 holes out of the 27, some holes shortened, some temp greens etc. To be honest I have only played once in the last 6 weeks, no fun playing on a sodden course in bad weather.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Closed again today. Torrential again last night and so no surprise and totally correct decision. Review due tomorrow but can see 9 - carry only at best and wouldn't be surprised if they shut it again tomorrow too

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Quite frankly ave never seen it look so bad. It's a lottery, some of the course is just a muddy, swampy mess. First time it drops below freezing its a ball ache. Yet the course still carries on as normal. Still have comps, Why? Buggies still used on the front nine, people still using trollies. We carry and my feet are on fire after a round yet there's trollies tearing up the course. Does my flippin head in.
Some playing partners played at Rosecotts course last Friday ( Oakmere) and said it looked glorious considering the weather we have had.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Cancelled the comp for Sunday and at best we'll have the front nine open but even that's not looking promising. Promised HID a pub lunch Sunday now and doubt I'll bother tomorrow even if they get nine open. Personally I'd prefer them to take the flak and keep it closed all weekend and give it a chance to drain, dry and recover as much as possible

D

Deleted member 17920

After the rain all day today I would be surprised if we was open tomorrow.

It rained non stop for 20hrs.

The putting green was like a lake when I left.

We have the best draining course in the area and it can only take so much.

God only knows what the other courses are like.

My drive home tonight was aquaplane fest.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not at home at present but getting daily "updates" from the club. Was closed a few days, then open, then closed again. But now been closed for 8 days on the trot with no prospect of reopening in the next few days. Course manager has recorded 90mm of rain in last 7 days - nearly double the normal December monthly average. In simple terms, we can't open until the tide goes out ...

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mine has been shut now for more than a week and was only open (carry only) on a few occasions during the previous two weeks as well. Can’t see it being open now until the New Year.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
Course reopened just now, best get my stuff together for the monthly stableford, expected it to be shut until Xmas to be honest.