How's your course bearing up in this exceptionally wet weather?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our course has not been closed yet.
It's boggy in patches, very boggy, but the greens are holding up very well.
No buggies, but trollies have been mostly allowed.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Links golf for the next few months that's for sure.

It's our 200 year anniversary in 2020 and the celebrations start in a few weeks so it's a great time to be a member and enjoy everything about Links golf.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
They try and keep ours open unless there's standing water, but its been carry only for the past month or so. Was pleasantly surprised by the state of our greens last weekend, there were in really good condition.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think in years gone by we may have still been open on some of the days we've been closed but in conditions next to unplayable, so I'd argue what would be the point.

My own view is that even if we were to open at the moment there'd be no fun or enjoyment in splodging around in the mud and ultimately doing the course no good whatsoever. Our green staff are still working as hard as can be and it's better that they get a free run rather than have people coming round doing damage to the superb surfaces they have worked so hard to create this past year.

This awful weather can't go on for ever and we will have golf again, t'ain't the end of the world... it only seems like it is ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Closed again today. We’ve had 17” rain in last 89 days - and that is more than double the average over the last 6 years for the same period. We drain quickly but ground is now saturated.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Closed yesterday and closed today.
Currently raining.
Likely to be closed tomorrow too.
I've booked to play 9 holes on my birthday on Sunday - but not sure I even want to venture out in what will just be a soggy muddy mess!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The Zoo is submerging rapidly and it may be Monday or Tuesday before it opens...
On a happier note, my new club from April has made the exceedingly difficult decision to ban buggies today - must be wet!

On a more serious note, clubs like Whipsnade -which are fairly isolated to the point that you've got to want to go there to get there - could be facing a bit of a financial crisis if this keeps going.
Not so bad for clubs on the edge of towns that are easy to get to and still go on for a bite or a beer.
No visitor fees to help back up subs, potentially little work for green keepers if they cant get kn the course...

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Normally play on a Friday morning and I guessed my home club would be shut (it is) so I booked West Berkshire as this seems to drain welll. Got a call first thing to say they are closed as well. Now booked to play Dummer which is open. Dummer is one of the best draining courses I've played on, I've never seen any mud there ever.

Wolf

Visit site
The Zoo is submerging rapidly and it may be Monday or Tuesday before it opens...
On a happier note, my new club from April has made the exceedingly difficult decision to ban buggies today - must be wet!

On a more serious note, clubs like Whipsnade -which are fairly isolated to the point that you've got to want to go there to get there - could be facing a bit of a financial crisis if this keeps going.
Not so bad for clubs on the edge of towns that are easy to get to and still go on for a bite or a beer.
No visitor fees to help back up subs, potentially little work for green keepers if they cant get kn the course...
Thats very good point regarding the financial implications to clubs and its staff. Got various friends that work at clubs in varying roles, the pros i know are struggling except for those with studio set ups as nobody want to hope on Noahs ark to get ti lessons. Couple of green keeper friends have been losing money as theg either get told don't come in or go home early but that's unpaid. Not to mention like you say out ofntown clubs that won't get people coming for lunches etc

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
Open, but only just "very wet conditions".

Hope is on the horizon. Forecast for next few days is dry (er). Gonna book in for Monday.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well it finally hit us today - looks like most in the area are also closed , heavy rain all night and still now