Visit site
There are lots of reasons why people miss putts
Not reading the break correctly
Not the right pace
Poor stroke
Not starting the ball on the chosen line
etc
etc

But the most common fault I've seen through the years is too much body movement.
Hips turning, shoulders turning, wrists flicking, elbows all over the place, it's amazing how some people hole anything.

However, there are some days when all the faults balance out each other and you hole everything.
Sadly, those days can be few and far between and the bad days are put down to bumpy greens, spike marks, too fast/slow or even just bad luck.

I am convinced that if golfers reduced the amount of unnecessary body movement they would at least start the ball on the chosen line more consistently therefor giving the putt a chance more often.

So how can you reduce the unnecessary movement ?

Here's a drill you can use to help .........

Take a club/stick/rod..anything really that you can get under your armpits and is about 3 feet long.
Tuck both ends under your armpits so it sits across your chest.
Then back into a doorway until the club/stick/rod comes in contact with the door frame on both sides. Now take your putter and make a few strokes with the club/stick/rod sliding up and down the frame.

If you normally have a problem with your hips/shoulders turning, this will help you feel how the rotation can be reduced greatly which in turn will keep the putter face/stroke on line longer.

Hope this helps

G

guest100718

One thing thats made a difference to my putting is making sure my head is very still. I exaggerate it by looking at the spot where the ball was for a few seconds after the putt has been hit. A simple tip but one I found that really works.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site

Take a club/stick/rod..anything really that you can get under your armpits and is about 3 feet long.
Then back into a doorway until the club/stick/rod comes in contact with the door frame on both sides. Now take your putter and make a few strokes with the club/stick/rod sliding up and down the frame.

If you normally have a problem with your hips/shoulders turning, this will help you feel how the rotation can be reduced greatly which in turn will keep the putter face/stroke on line longer.

Hope this helps

Thanks Bob, this sounds simple and effective. I'll give it a try for sure. Bit worried the cat will ridicule me though...

D

Deleted Member 1156

The most simple putting tip I've ever been given is to just make sure the putter head moves straight down your chosen line after impact.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Not easy when your hips and shoulders are turning left (right hander)

Concentrating on that one simple movement helps to eliminate other moving parts as it focuses the mind.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
After watching Merv79 at Royal Cinque Ports give a scratch golfer masterclass, I noticed that he just paid more care and attention to putting and chipping than I feel that I do. I have adopted this in my putting and chipping too and the results are paying off!

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
After watching Merv79 at Royal Cinque Ports give a scratch golfer masterclass, I noticed that he just paid more care and attention to putting and chipping than I feel that I do. I have adopted this in my putting and chipping too and the results are paying off!

Good to hear Chris :)
Chipping and putting is such a high percentage of the game that is is important to take extra care and attention to these shots.

Its so annoying to hit 2 shots over 400 yards only to take 3 (or more) from just off the edge of the green!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
The most simple putting tip I've ever been given is to just make sure the putter head moves straight down your chosen line after impact.
Interesting that. I had a putting lesson and the Pro said that he likes to see the putter go back and through on an arc. Fortunately that was how I was taught. It appears the putter is opening on the way back and closing on the way through. Much the same as a mini swing. He doesn't understand trying to take the putter back square and keeping it square, as it is not a natural swing of the putter.

My only tip when I have have a pressure three footer is to keep my head as still as possible, and not to take a sneaky look at the hole as I hit the ball.

More than one way to putt, and perhaps consistency of stroke is important ?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
The fewer moving parts, the more consistent you will be
Very true Bob. Very noticeable amongst my playing partners how much body and head movement they have. I always think that anyone can have a decent putting stroke. A lot of people's putting stroke though is a mini version of their golf swing, with plenty of moving parts.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My first glimpse of a star was at Wentworth in about 1990. Faldo was on the practice green with Leadbetter and I was instantly aware of how absolutely still Faldo's body (and head) was. The only movement was the rocking of his 'pendulum'! I've been trying to do the same ever since! And I have a 'distracting' Putting Thought too, so that even if I miss the putt I can still smile! :rolleyes:

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bob. I once met some old geezer who sold me two 3ft long sticks, hinged at one end. He reckoned that it was twice as good as one stick. Thought at the time it was all snake oil but I felt sorry for the old frat.

Have to say, it worked though. :D

Happy new year Bob and to all my readers. :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob. I once met some old geezer who sold me two 3ft long sticks, hinged at one end. He reckoned that it was twice as good as one stick. Thought at the time it was all snake oil but I felt sorry for the old frat.

You were lucky I happened to have a left handed one with me
Happy Hogmany :cheers:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
best 'tip' I picked up was from Luke Donald who starts with the arms and not the shoulder rock, that was music to my ears as the shoulder pendulum thing feels so unnatural. Key as well though - as has already been said - is keeping everything else still.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

I met someone like that once too, chirpy old grey haired chap. Made me stick these hinged sticks under my armpits and rest my putter on them. It did the trick though and gave me a fantastic putting stroke.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are lots of reasons why people miss putts
Not reading the break correctly
Not the right pace
Poor stroke
Not starting the ball on the chosen line
etc
etc

But the most common fault I've seen through the years is too much body movement.
Hips turning, shoulders turning, wrists flicking, elbows all over the place, it's amazing how some people hole anything.

However, there are some days when all the faults balance out each other and you hole everything.
Sadly, those days can be few and far between and the bad days are put down to bumpy greens, spike marks, too fast/slow or even just bad luck.

I am convinced that if golfers reduced the amount of unnecessary body movement they would at least start the ball on the chosen line more consistently therefor giving the putt a chance more often.

So how can you reduce the unnecessary movement ?

Hope this helps

Thanks Bob , working on the putting at present , trying to keep the putter flat to the ground , keep everything still and make sure ive got a good roll on the ball . will add this in and give it a go