how to stop making stupid mistakes

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Bad shots I have no issues with although recent rounds seem to be nothing but. Poor decision making is something I can control more than my swing and its trying to cut these bad thoughts and rushed decisions I don't do that well. Something I am working to improve as I thought I'd moved forward but 2016 seems littered with bad shot selection, bad course management etc.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Re: How to stop making stupid mistakes!

Play the shot you've got the greatest chance of playing well,

and

Play the shot that makes the next shot easy
But these two goals are often mutually exclusive.

Example: if I'm 230 yards from the green, I know I cannot reach it. (I don't hit "forum distances" :)
So I can either try to hit a 5 wood to leave me a relatively short chip on (chance of duffing the 5 wood, but hoping for an easy chip), or play a 7 iron and a wedge (good chance of hitting a nice 7 iron, but leaving a more difficult approach shot).

[FYI, I have recently switched from the 5W+chip to 7i+wedge strategy, and it seems to be working!]

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Re: How to stop making stupid mistakes!

Remember the bad shots that have good outcomes too....the thin that ends up close, the favourable bounce off a bank or tree etc. Know they don't happen as often, but you will have the odd piece of good fortune in a round.

I hit a poor 7 iron off the tee on our par 3 2nd last night, flew low and landed 30 yards short, but it then bounced and rolled and ended up 3 feet from the flag.