Bad course management, when you stop making those mistakes?

D

Deleted Member 1156

The moment you realise that ambition and ability are only close together in a dictionary. Unfortunately, you just can't put a number on it.

I started to be able to judge what was a good outcome from each situation when I got to about 6. Which was also the same time as when I could reliably introduce ball to club on a repeatable basis.

This is the key phrase.

If you don't really know where the ball is going to go, you may as well have a go at the glory shots as playing for the safe side of the green or laying up or over trouble could go horribly wrong. However, when you can repeatedly hit the ball to a reasonably sized target, then you should seriously consider which shots you want to take on.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
This is the key phrase.

If you don't really know where the ball is going to go, you may as well have a go at the glory shots as playing for the safe side of the green or laying up or over trouble could go horribly wrong. However, when you can repeatedly hit the ball to a reasonably sized target, then you should seriously consider which shots you want to take on.

The reapeatable thing is true, but..

Trying to hit a 3 wood out the rough when you can hardley see the ball or trying to hit a 4 iron over water with 200 yard carry when you have only hit the ball once that distance in the whole time you have been playing and it wasn't over water either. has to be a factor?

D

Deleted member 15344

Will always judge the situation and risk before any shot - sometimes a chip out and a bogey is a good score.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The reapeatable thing is true, but..

Trying to hit a 3 wood out the rough when you can hardley see the ball or trying to hit a 4 iron over water with 200 yard carry when you have only hit the ball once that distance in the whole time you have been playing and it wasn't over water either. has to be a factor?

Yes it has, I was referring more to shots that you actually have a chance of pulling off. 200 out of deep claggy rough, over water to a green sloping away from you.......erm, probably not :D

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the format always has a big effect on decision making.

Obviously the OP's example was matchplay. Matchplay still comes down to how/what the opponents are doing also. I know lots have a mindset of forget about the opponent, concentrate on your own game. However, if your opponent has hit it into the drink on a par 5 on his approach, maybe lay up then use the extra shots gained, if you are not giving a shot away. If you've got two putts from 6 foot, use them.

Medal/stableford is a different matter though.

I play some of my best golf in matchplay, as it tends to bring out the best in me. Once I had 4 birdies on the run (when off 9, and in a pairs match), probably helped by my partner also being on in regulation, so I could go pin-hunting.

That said, I also think, don’t give holes away easy, by taking on impossible shots, unless you really have no other option to get a half.

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
plenty of bounce / practice games to take on the Hollywood 3 wood! otherwise if you have a card in hand, do the smart thing.

I experiment with every kind of shot going and have at least one new thing to try out every time I step onto the course. unless its comp time. then I play smart golf and do the things I know I can do. it usually sees me around in a half decent score.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
plenty of bounce / practice games to take on the Hollywood 3 wood! otherwise if you have a card in hand, do the smart thing.

I experiment with every kind of shot going and have at least one new thing to try out every time I step onto the course. unless its comp time. then I play smart golf and do the things I know I can do. it usually sees me around in a half decent score.

Unless in the bounce game you have a partner........

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have to admit that I was guilty on more than one occasion last season of ruining good starts by taking on shots that I shouldn't have.

My problem is that if I am scoring well I feel I can take anything on.

RobertB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One thing I think people forget, and many who just play don't know, is a main factor in teaching and coaching is not to get you a swing like a god, but to minimise the effects of your worst and most frequent miss or swing - that's where scores start to run away either in match or stroke.

People can misconstrue steady with boring .... we'd all have different thresholds of steady depending on our playing ability. A good cat 1 player is going to be able to play that 200yd approach to a green with minimal miss consequences and a 22 handicapper is still going to more often than not struggle to hit green with a 100 yd wedge carry over a psych-out hazard. Both need to apply different course management strategies.

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I find playing in par competitions really helps my course management. On shot holes par and birdie give me exactly the same result so aim for the middle of the green and 2 putts to win the hole or lay up and you've still got 3 shots for a half with a chance of getting up and down. A couple of weeks ago I played one of these and 3 birdies in the space of 4 holes by not going at flags. Doesn't sound like it makes sense but it seems to work.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I think this depends on personality as some people are natural risk takers on and of the course.The likes of Mickelson and JD take a very un conservative approuch to their respective games but its made them what they are in the game.I think the same applies to amateurs, if somebody who's a risk taker tries to play more conservatively this may overall be detrimental to their game.I guess the bottom line is play in your comfort zone but be aware not to make very stupid decisions.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Why was Phil Mick trying to play out of a bush, rather than take a drop? Course management?
Its the way he plays fella, ive seen him in tourney play hit a full righthanded swing with a lefthanded club when up against a tree using the back of the club to strike the ball when he could have taken a drop.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Its the way he plays fella, ive seen him in tourney play hit a full righthanded swing with a lefthanded club when up against a tree using the back of the club to strike the ball when he could have taken a drop.

But in this instance, he would not have made any real progress towards the green, even if he had been successful. If he could get near or on the green, I could see the point in taking the risk, but in this instance it was daft. Sure, it's the way he plays, but he could have won.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
But in this instance, he would not have made any real progress towards the green, even if he had been successful. If he could get near or on the green, I could see the point in taking the risk, but in this instance it was daft. Sure, it's the way he plays, but he could have won.
I agree that one decision threw the event for him, how many times has Mickelson come second its incredible.