How to reduce spin on driver

Suilegew

Visit site
I have always struggled to reduce spin on driver. I generally hit with spin on irons too, but it's within reason.
Latest trackman data I have 7 drives where spin rate range between 3130 and 3960, avg 3569.
I have a swing speed around 100 mph and my driver has 9.5dgs loft.
Other related data:
attack angle: 3.8 (good)
face to path: -1.6 (ok)
club path: 0.5 (good)
face angle -1.1 (ok)
launch angle: 17.6 (bit high)

What could cause this excessively high spin rate? I don't think it's completely equipment related since I have always struggled to keep it under 3k.
I have done club fittings where I was given an 8 dgs head with a low spin design and low spin shaft and managed to get down towards 2.5k, but didn't have the money to spend right then - thinking I'm doing something wrong.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's likely an impact location low on the face. I struggle with this and tend to stick to lower lofted drivers to combat it.

Suilegew

Visit site
OK thanks, I will keep an eye on it at next session.
According to trackman the impact height on average is 1U but ranging from 14D to 16U, but most swings are less than 10U.
7U still has spin 3290...
What I tend to do, is hit it towards the heel. Average 14H. Could that be the reason?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
OK thanks, I will keep an eye on it at next session.
According to trackman the impact height on average is 1U but ranging from 14D to 16U, but most swings are less than 10U.
7U still has spin 3290...
What I tend to do, is hit it towards the heel. Average 14H. Could that be the reason?

Yeah low heel strikes are going to have lots of spin.

Suilegew

Visit site
Yeah low heel strikes are going to have lots of spin.
I have high spin even on center strikes - just that heel / low has even more.
I had one strike dead center 0, 16mm up and it had 3280 RPM... that is still crazy high, about 1k RPM too high in my opinion.
My most spinny drive of 3960 RPM had 6D, 9H; a bit low and a bit heely. It isn't the total answer to my spin, just that heel strikes makes it worse.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Change your ball to one that spins less. Not joking, I changed from Titleist ProV1x to Tour Soft and I now drive the ball straighter than before.

Last edited: