How to lower launch angle

albie999

Visit site
With the lock-down, and lucky enough to have a Skytrak, am trying to figure how to reduce my launch angles. At the moment, with my 7 Iron, I am getting upto 155 yds total (carry 135-140 yds), however my launch angle is always quite high. My Ben Ross 7 Iron is lofted at 30.5, with a regular flex shaft, it seems to launch anywhere between 27-32 (depending on the strike)

I have tried ball position (slightly further back in stance) and also delofting the club (pushing handle forward) etc ... but cannot seem to resolve the high launch. Could it just be my clubs tending to produce a high launch, the reg flex shaft?
Here is a few shots

1587543657341.png

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the swing is a dynamic movement - whatever you do at address does not mean you will do this at impact. If you are flipping the club, then the clubhead overtakes the hands and will cause a high initial launch. I know this, as I suffer with it....and my clubs are completely different to yours.

Its the Archer, not the arrow.

D

Deleted Member 1156

See which shaft you have in your irons then google the specs, it may be a low kickpoint shaft which causes a higher launch.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Most Benross irons are, loosely, classed as Game improvement or Super Game improvement irons and will have a low CoG that is designed to launch high.
A 30.5" loft on a 7 iron does suggest it's designed that way and you may find theres not much you can do to significantly change the launch.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Most Benross irons are, loosely, classed as Game improvement or Super Game improvement irons and will have a low CoG that is designed to launch high.
A 30.5" loft on a 7 iron does suggest it's designed that way and you may find theres not much you can do to significantly change the launch.
I'll offer some alternative views.
I have the evolution r irons.
In lessons pre lockdown the teaching pro would pick up my iron and demonstrate a launch of circa 10 degrees less than I was achieving.
Technique over technology in this instance.

D

Deleted member 3432

Try a DST Compressor if you want to get some shaft lean at impact into your golf swing.

I present too much dynamic loft at impact and I have loaned one from my Pro.

Takes a bit of getting used too and will go sideways if you get it wrong at impact so feedback is great.

Quite a few on here have got/used them.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The club and the shaft are irrelevant.
Any slight element of skill and you should easily be able to adjust the launch.
As someone said above, it's you not the club.
Yeah I guess you might be right. Thinking about it I'm not sure why manufacturers make clubs that are easy to launch as everyone has enough skill to do it anyway.

albie999

Visit site
why do you want to hit it lower?

you might end up with less carry

Want a more penetrating ball flight, which from what I read/been told, should give me more distance. When I slightly thin, or get a low launch angle (by mistake), I get at least another 10 yds, as per below .. which I admit, was way offline though lol

1587547753635.png

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
why do you want to hit it lower?

you might end up with less carry

That's a good question?
However, if you really do want it lower,
I am wondering if you are hitting a fade or a draw?
I think it is ,generally speaking ,the case that a shot that draws, as opposed to fades will fly lower. ( all things being equal)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Want a more penetrating ball flight, which from what I read/been told, should give me more distance. When I slightly thin, or get a low launch angle (by mistake), I get at least another 10 yds, as per below .. which I admit, was way offline though lol

View attachment 30134
looking at those numbers looks like thats down to less spin on the ball which account for more roll as well.

your shorter ones have a 1000 revs more spin on them, i'm no expert but i don't think its ball flights thats the problem

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have tried for about 30 years to work out how to hit a lower trajectory shot as my stock shot and have tried virtually every shaft in the book. Let me know if you find the secret.

Mind you looking at those figures I would not want that much roll with a 7 iron. Is it the same when actually playing to a reasonably receptive green?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't know if you have me on your ignore list or you just missed my question, so here it is again.........
Did you normally take a divot after the ball?

albie999

Visit site
I don't know if you have me on your ignore list or you just missed my question, so here it is again.........
Did you normally take a divot after the ball?

Sorry Bobmac .. missed that comment ..... I tend to "pick" the ball off the top of the grass .... working in the sim, cannot really tell at the moment

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Sorry Bobmac .. missed that comment ..... I tend to "pick" the ball off the top of the grass .... working in the sim, cannot really tell at the moment

Ok, heres a drill you can try.
You may want to use plastic balls to prevent injury.
The idea is to hit the front ball without hitting the back ball.
If you get it right and miss the back ball, you should hear a thump as the club hits the mat.