How to lower launch angle

albie999

Visit site
Ok, heres a drill you can try.
You may want to use plastic balls to prevent injury.
The idea is to hit the front ball without hitting the back ball.
If you get it right and miss the back ball, you should hear a thump as the club hits the mat.

]

Tried and ouch and no, could not leave the back ball in place lol

Although, these 2 shots, not to bad, maybe I just have to accept that I don't play enough, and these shots with 7 iron (ignore the 9 iron showing in pic), will do on the course
shot1.jpgshot2.jpg

D

Deleted Member 1156

Many shafts are so similar in performance that it's only robot testing that throws up the differences claimed by the manufacturers.

There's no secret, it's just slightly different technique.
That's interesting because I just looked back at my trackman report from my fitting last year and there was an average difference of over 600rpm between the lowest and highest spinning shafts that I tested and they were all what would be deemed 'lower spin' shafts. That would suggest to me that the shaft does make a difference.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
That's interesting because I just looked back at my trackman report from my fitting last year and there was an average difference of over 600rpm between the lowest and highest spinning shafts that I tested and they were all what would be deemed 'lower spin' shafts. That would suggest to me that the shaft does make a difference.

Was that the difference between a fat and a thinned chip?
????

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
With that ball speed you won’t hit it much further anyway. Spin numbers are pretty reasonable, ok you could maybe hit launch a little lower, but peak height is pretty solid too.

Ignore swing speed on Skytrak it’s a guess

albie999

Visit site
With that ball speed you won’t hit it much further anyway. Spin numbers are pretty reasonable, ok you could maybe hit launch a little lower, but peak height is pretty solid too.

Ignore swing speed on Skytrak it’s a guess
Would you say that is low, medium or high (not) ball speed then ... am I just average :cry::cry: lol

D

Deleted Member 1156

Congratulations ?

The OP is asking about how to change launch angle, I'm giving him real-world advice, not forum/advertising BS.
No you're not, you are just trying to belittle other posters. I've given real world advice that different shafts affect spin rates and launch angles. I agree that a degree of skill and consistency is required as well for a noticeable difference but that is down to the OP to work on.

albie999

Visit site
OK .. so I am such a data nerd lol ... anyway .. 4 different balls .. Shot 1 Slazenger V300, Shot 2 Callaway SuperSoft, Shot 3 TM Project (S), Shot 4 ProV1 ... also not exactly sure what happens with my 20 yds reduction in distance .. maybe tired :) ... Tried to make them as similar as possible (took a few shots lol)

1587563257091.png
V300-min.jpg Callaway-SS-min.jpg TM-project-S-min.jpg Prov1-min.jpg
V300 Callaway SS TM Project (S) ProV1

D

Deleted Member 1156

In an ideal world, the launch angle should be the number of the club -1 x1000 (ie 7 iron should spin approx 6000rpm) or thereabouts so in your picture above you are generating a lot of spin with all 4 different balls.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many shafts are so similar in performance that it's only robot testing that throws up the differences claimed by the manufacturers.

Having tried lots of different shafts on the same head not a comment I would totally agree with. Dispersion and distance can vary quite a lot but I agree height is very difficult with the naked eye.

i

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a fitting at Ping just before lockdown.
I was hitting the ball very low.
Had AWT WHITE SHAFT IN TITLEIST AP2 . Off the shelf prize I won.
Went to XP 95 in ping i210 and the difference was amazing.
Much higher ball flight and 7 yds longer.
So equipment can alter your flight you just need to have the right type.
But you must be able to control the ball and flight is one of the variables.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So you don't agree that many shafts are very similar?

They are many shafts that are similar there also many shafts that are not.

For anything lower than about 110 gramme shaft I start to notice the difference and if go to 85 the difference is very noticeable.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Not gone through every comment on the thread but I'm finding that if I can focus on where I want the cub to hit the ground, ie, slightly after the ball, this helps. In theory this means my club head should still be on a slightly downward trajectory in the arc hence lowering dynamic loft. *shrugs*

Edit: If I look at my swing I've normally 'flipped' my wrists on a bad swing. Weight transfer rotation whatever it is I also try and keep my hands quiet as well. Try being the operative word :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

albie999

Visit site
Watched a Dan Hendrickson video last night (below) where he analyses his wifes swing. Although she is still way ahead of me, I could see similar issues in her swing to mind (slight to the right, high loft/launch), he has advised her to feel like the club is exiting left, so I had a go last night ..... the result

left1-min.jpg left2-min.jpg