How to identify GUR

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Do the rules define how GUR needs to be marked? Played yesterday and someone had scraped "GUR" in the sand in the bottom of a bunker. Very little sand in there so the bottom was compacted - the writing would survive some rain but only up to a point. Given the state of the bunker it could well be official GUR, or it could have been written by another player - no way to tell in my opinion. So, I'm in no doubt that it's a crap way to mark a bunker as GUR, but is it illegal?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have thought when it comes to bunkers there would be rules published on notice boards.

The best advice is to read the definitions as there are different ways of marking GUR.

Swango1980

Visit site
Do the rules define how GUR needs to be marked? Played yesterday and someone had scraped "GUR" in the sand in the bottom of a bunker. Very little sand in there so the bottom was compacted - the writing would survive some rain but only up to a point. Given the state of the bunker it could well be official GUR, or it could have been written by another player - no way to tell in my opinion. So, I'm in no doubt that it's a crap way to mark a bunker as GUR, but is it illegal?
I'm almost pretty sure you'd have to ignore GUR scraped into a bunker, especially at our course. If not, I need to know what action to take when a picture of a giant phallus has been scraped into the bunker.