How to: Hybrid

Fabia999

Visit site
Hello,

I am struggling to get the ball up in the air with my hybrid.
Is there any advise anyone would recommend for hitting a 22 degree hybrid?
Do I stand as I’m hitting a driver or more like an iron?

I will be getting lessons in the new year
Thanks

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hit it the same way as using an iron. Ball first and a slight divot. Position the ball halfway between the leading foot and the middle of the stance for a shot with height.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I've not been playing very long at all so maybe not the best person to offer any advice, however I do hit my 19° 3 hybrid pretty well and consistently. I play it just a touch further forward in stance than irons and swing between iron and wood depth. Seems to work for me. Favourite club in my bag.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Middle or near middle of stance. Just like an iron as stated. I tend to play the ball a little forward of middle (like to see the hybrid grounded in the middle behind the ball on takeaway). When I hit a bad shot with hybrid it tends to be exclusively because I let the ball creep to far forward int he stance.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As above but remember to hit down on the ball. The loft of the club will do the rest.

Perhaps to help more, take the previous advice to the extreme, imagine it's a pitching wedge. Swing at that tempo. Don't worry about distance until you get your ball striking right.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Middle or near middle of stance. Just like an iron as stated. I tend to play the ball a little forward of middle (like to see the hybrid grounded in the middle behind the ball on takeaway). When I hit a bad shot with hybrid it tends to be exclusively because I let the ball creep to far forward int he stance.
Without wishing to open up the discussion on ball position (real and percieved) I think it's reasonable to point out that some people play irons from the middle of their stance, adjusting their width of stance to the length of iron shaft, and some people play from a fixed reference distance inside their left foot - which also moves relative to the middle of their stance as feet width changes.
Neither is right or wrong - as you imply, consistency of approach breeds consistency of strike.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hello,

Thanks

I need a bit more information to reply.
When you say you can't get the ball up in the air, do you mean
a) you strike it well but it just goes low
or
b)the contact isn't very good and you catch it thin/top/duff it?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Go and see a professional and get yourself a lesson, better than listening to a bunch of nobodies on the internet.

(With the exception of Bob above. Sorry Bob.)

D

Deleted member 25172

Hello,

Thanks

I've got the same, even though I don't class it as an issue really, as it's more of a stinger shot that probably don't go higher than 10-12 feet up in the air. When it gets down on the ground it goes on forever so it's one of my favorite shots.

Only reason for this though is because I place the ball forward in my stance. If I place it more in the middle, I hit it fat 9 times out of 10.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
right or wrong but I prefer to hit my hybrid clubs like a fairway wood , have tried the iron way of hitting but im far more consistant hitting fairway wood style I tend to get a decent bit of roll out doing this.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't take much of a divot with irons anyway but I was always told the 3 hybrid is replacing a 3 iron so play it as an iron. I tend to have it a fraction inside my left heel (but now play all my shots from opposite my left breast as I did in my junior days). I have always struggled to get my G hybrid airborne compared to my G25 so in the winter in the wind it's actually a better club but if I need a higher flight I'll put the G25 in

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
right or wrong but I prefer to hit my hybrid clubs like a fairway wood , have tried the iron way of hitting but im far more consistant hitting fairway wood style I tend to get a decent bit of roll out doing this.
Then again I also hit it them the same as my fairway woods, but hit those the same as (all) my irons.

Fabia999

Visit site
I need a bit more information to reply.
When you say you can't get the ball up in the air, do you mean
a) you strike it well but it just goes low
or
b)the contact isn't very good and you catch it thin/top/duff it?

I strike the ball quite well, However I’m focusing on my striking and the power will follow soon. I just can’t seem to get the height.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
You can play hybrids further forward like a fairway wood or with the same setup you would hit a 5 or 6 iron. It's really personal preference but either way is ok, i play them more like a mid iron out of rough to ensure a cleaner strike and more like a wood off the tee or fairway. When you play it like a mid iron it will launch lower and spin more, so you get a different flight for both methods. Most good players I know tend to use both methods depending on the lie and weather conditions, so it's probably not your setup or swing with a hybrid but more likely as the loft is reduced and length of club increases you find it harder to make good contact with whatever swing flaws you have