How to hit a punch shot

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Was at the range today and was hitting the irons beautifully, really nice high ball flight, straight with the occasional slight fade... unfortunately there was a strong wind going from left to right and although the shots were beautifully struck they were being blown off target by the wind, I remained positive as my connection was great but a punch shot would be helpful in these situations so any tips would be appreciated :)

stef92

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
What i do is move the ball back in your stance to just in front of your right toe (assuming your right handed). Then, keep your hands roughly where they would be if you were going to hit a normal shot, therefore the face is slightly closed.

Most importantly, swing a bit easier or sweep the ball. That way you will generate less spin, causing a more penetrating flight, resulting in a punch shot… hopefully!

Not the easiest of shots though, so worth a practice before putting it in play!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Ball back in the stance a little, take more club, hold the club halfway down the grip, keep your weight on your left side, swing half way back and half way through and don't hit it hard.

Jonny

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As said above keep the weight on your leading side with a reduced swing length and be down the shaft on it. Also remember to fully commit and release the club through the ball. You don't want the clubface open as you go through on a punch shot!

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Spot on advice. Its my favourite shot even when its not windy. Great for approuch shots from 150yrds. For me anyway. But then I did grow up on link courses.

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys, this is probably a stupid question but hindmarshsl you said sweep the ball how do yo do this when the ball is back in your stance?

stef92

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
err… i naturally sweep the ball anyway as I have a very flat swing at impact, so don't really hit down on the ball…

but, i can't really explain it that well… sorry! :eek:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The 4i punch is the most enjoyable shot in the bag, just spend a few sessions in the range mastering it. On YouTube there's loads of videos if you search for how to hit a low golf shot

If you change your display options too 2 weeks, I posted some links in a thread titled " high ball flight " or something along those lines

Last edited:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Why isn't the ball put forward in the stance to lower the flight path?

Putting it back = steeper angle of attack, surely?