How to hit a fade?

Visit site
At the moment my stock shot is a small draw. I'm looking to be able to hit a fade if required. I can do it, but what would make it easier for me.
I'll start with the two things i do just now.
1. Clubface to target.
2. Feet to intended line of flight.

I'm looking for ball position, hands etc..

Ta muchness

S

Snelly

Aim left with your shoulders. Ball position slightly forward. Hands? On club in a Vardon grip.. Remember to swing as fast as you can. Most people hit a "fade" when they try and give the ball a proper clout.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
For a draw, I'd aim my feet a little right and align the shoulders and club where I want the ball to go.

For a fade I would do (nearly) the opposite. Aim feet slightly left, and aim my shoulders in the direction I want the ball to go but open up the club face slightly and take a normal swing. This is new to me, as in the past I would always try and "out to in" it to swipe across the ball which never guaranteed the shot I wanted as it would sometimes (obviously) end up a slice.

A

Alex1975

For a fade I just rip the club as hard as I can, my right hand takes over, I come way over the top and the ball fades as I die a little more inside :D .... :D

Visit site
What about what your hands are doing through impact? Normal shot is draw. Keeping the wrists a bit quieter produces a straight-ish shot. I presume that if i were to play my normal shot, but with alignment etc of a fade, i would basically 'double-cross' myself. (as the commentators like to say)?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
What about what your hands are doing through impact? Normal shot is draw. Keeping the wrists a bit quieter produces a straight-ish shot. I presume that if i were to play my normal shot, but with alignment etc of a fade, i would basically 'double-cross' myself. (as the commentators like to say)?

Erm...I have no idea. I have enough trouble worrying about the rest of my swing. :D

It's not a sure thing by any means, but then that's why I'm a 19 h'cap golfer! If a shot requires a fade, I'll attempt it (if it's not too risky!) and if it doesn't fade but isn't in too much bother, I've not lost much. But it's safer than the way I used to try and shape the ball.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dont over complicate things man ,, line club up square to target & open you stance & swing .. practice will teach you how much to open stance etc .. different for everyone

A

Alex1975

Do the above advice then follow it with

FADE YOU ****** BALL!! NOT SLICE!

na its followed by "sorry X I turned my back in disgust again, did you happen to see where it finished please"

and that can be followed by "you see that guy on the other fairway...." :D

Hehe na, its not so bad. It was funny watching the guy in the bay next to me last night fighting the most perfect snap hook though, the two of us looked like the end of a red arrows display :D

Really though (as we are hijacking your post) this is about an alteration to a more out to in swing path and face angle.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
what BP said, open your stance a touch, I grip down the shaft a bit too and take an extra club, my stock shot is a draw too, but like hitting a fade into the par 3's.

EZprophet

Head Pro
Visit site
The way I hit a fade is that I grip down on the club an inch or two and open my stance slightly. In the takeaway I bring the club back slightly outside the line and set my wrists early, on the downswing the key for me (and my actual swing thought when I hit the shot) is just to not release the clubhead at all. I basically hold onto the grip for dear life because if I do release the club at all (usually when I get a bit quick on it) it can lead to the "double cross" or for me its the "pull hook"...

This is probably not the best way to do it at all but its what I do.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

Sounds like a nice ball shape you've got there! :) With a fade through and after impact, the forearms don't roll over so much, your hands push through and forward through the ball, thus your hands should leave the clubhead more pointing towards the sky.

Yup, if you did your normal forearm and wrist roll on a fade set-up, you'd get the double cross-over.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
if im trying to cut one, I purposely swing outside of the line on take away and very steeply. then try and come across the ball with the hands finishing in a low position. This is how I was shown by my pro which works although maybe my ability to explain it may not be as good.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I point the club slightly right of where I want the ball to start, line my body up further left than that and swing along the line of my body (as normal). The only other thing is ball slightly further forward.

After that it's trial and error.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Back when i first started playing at lot of Pro's would weakened their grip for a fade, and strengthened it for a draw. I personally aim feet and shoulders left, and have the club face pointing at the target. If I want a big fade/slice i also get quite steep on the ball.

Rory hit some great 3 wood fades off the tee in the US Open, to show he can hit it both ways with ease.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I stand a little closer with the stance opened, works a treat. If I stand the same distance as my normal draw I can turn it over into a dirty hook instead so need to remember to move a couple of inches closer.

mackayhmfc

Visit site
Everyone has different swings so its hard to say what will work for each individual person. There's no one particular way to hit it, it will depend n your current swing plane.

The opening up of your stance is the starting point but as some people have said this could result in the shot flying left. Best to try it for yourself on the practice ground. I personally try and swing a bit more upright and rotate the face open more on the way back and use less hands on the way through to keep it open!

I hit a draw by strengthening my grip!

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
The way I get a fade is to set up to hit a draw and smack it into the trees right. If I set up for a fade I come over the top and smash it into the trees left. I then over compenstae next time and it ends up slicing into the trees right. Sod this i'm going back to a draw and over compensate and hook into the tress left.

Roll on Blackmoor and the heather left and right , cant wait to break my wrists getting it out of that stuff.