How to buy a car!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi guys and girls, another car thread! But hey ho. I have not bought a car for 10 years, I know its changed a bit!!

OK, so we want a new car (it doesn't have to be brand new), but I have no idea where to start in terms of getting the best VFM. I am not looking for what car to buy, we have a shortlist of cars but importantly is how and what to do with current cars.

So we have 2 cars which we have owned for almost 10 years now, both finance free etc. A 2010 Volvo XC90 with 100k on the clock and well used 4 kids interior! Probably worth about 5k, and a 2009 Astra is probably worth a grand at a push.

Do we sell them both and use the cash as a deposit? do you leave only the smallest possible deposit? I suppose the key for me is I want lower monthly payments. PCP, lease, finance, what's the best way?? take them both to a dealer to chop them in?

If it has relevance, we are looking at replacing both with only 1 car, a seven-seat, something like a Q7, XC90, Skoda Kodiaq (I want a Tesla X, cant afford!)

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not the most knowledgeable on the best approach, but PCP with a larger deposit will reap you smaller monthly payments. Also with PCP on new cars you tend to get better deals with deposit contributions from dealers as well. Smiffy will be along shortly to offer some sage, advice, I'm sure.

I will say, however, that I cannot recommend the Kodiaq enough. We've had ours just over two years and it's by far the best car I've ever owned (and that includes two Lexus' (Lex-i? - insert Alan Partridge joke here))

We have a modest spec (SE L with a few extras like leather instead of Alcantara seats, heated screen, digital cockpit) but the standard stuff it comes with is great. The cabin isn't too plastic-y for a "cheap" brand car - the boot is massive and it handles pretty well for a big car.

If you're looking at something as expensive as a Q7 or XC90, I would get a Sportline or vRS Kodiaq with all the bells and whistles and you'll still come away with change, and lower servicing costs. Hopefully you don't want a brand new Audi or Skoda any time soon though, the lead times due to the chip shortage they have are currently around 27 weeks (quoted, but likely will be more based on people I know who have them on order).

As such, used car prices are stupid at the minute (I was offered PX for my car only a few grand less than I paid for it 2 years ago), so you 'might as well' buy new.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bad time to be buying IMO as you are hitting into two “buyer issues”. The first is getting value for money in the used market as prices have rocketed due to demand coupled with a shortage of chips to produce new cars en masse so a car that was probably only worth £20k is now suddenly £23 or 24k and the buyer has to suck that up.
The second is going new whether that be PCP, lease or other as there is a shortage of new cars the wait times are quite long which means you either have to hold on to what you have longer or sell now and have no car.

I ordered a new car last month and won’t get it until January at least (normally would have been roughly end Oct for that).

As I say, just a bad time to be a car buyer just now so maybe wait this one out if you can in my opinion.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi guys and girls, another car thread! But hey ho. I have not bought a car for 10 years, I know its changed a bit!!

OK, so we want a new car (it doesn't have to be brand new), but I have no idea where to start in terms of getting the best VFM. I am not looking for what car to buy, we have a shortlist of cars but importantly is how and what to do with current cars.

So we have 2 cars which we have owned for almost 10 years now, both finance free etc. A 2010 Volvo XC90 with 100k on the clock and well used 4 kids interior! Probably worth about 5k, and a 2009 Astra is probably worth a grand at a push.

Do we sell them both and use the cash as a deposit? do you leave only the smallest possible deposit? I suppose the key for me is I want lower monthly payments. PCP, lease, finance, what's the best way?? take them both to a dealer to chop them in?

If it has relevance, we are looking at replacing both with only 1 car, a seven-seat, something like a Q7, XC90, Skoda Kodiaq (I want a Tesla X, cant afford!)

If you need 7 seats, don’t rule out a Discovery, great machines.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lease market isn’t great either.
For example, a Golf R could be had for £300 a month easy 2 years ago, now it’s more like £450-£500 a month.
Lead times for lease or new cars are mental.
Had a GTi on order since April, initially with an August delivery, that then went out to September before VW finally lost the plot and now it’s March next year. Cancelled the order on the spot.
New cars are better value for money atm, it’s just the ridiculous lead times. If you can wait I’d find what you want and order for a delivery next year at some point.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you need 7 seats, don’t rule out a Discovery, great machines.

Thanks Brian, the list is in fact a little longer, have the Merc GLB, Range Rover Sport, Landy disco and defender, Lexus RXL, Pug 5008...

The Skoda has always been top of my list, the wife wants the Audi... Huge gulf in price difference and in my opinion, for not enough! I stopped being a brand snob years ago!! But we will slowly start narrowing down the list!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If you have two cars to part exchange, sell one of them to WBAC. Dealers don't really like taking two cars in against one as they can only over allow on one of them, the second one has to stand on it's own two feet, or four wheels to be more exact.
But with the prices WBAC are paying at the moment, I'd be inclined to sell them both of 'em.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
For now I'd keep the XC90. If a few bits need a refresh and you don't need the Astra. Sell the Astra and use the money on the XC90.

When I had my XC90 at around 100k it started feeling old and tired. I replaced all the suspension bushes, shocks and replaced a few interior parts. It felt like a new car again.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sell one to We Buy and use the other as part Ex for a new one

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
If you have two cars to part exchange, sell one of them to WBAC. Dealers don't really like taking two cars in against one as they can only over allow on one of them, the second one has to stand on it's own two feet, or four wheels to be more exact.
But with the prices WBAC are paying at the moment, I'd be inclined to sell them both of 'em.

Selling my Dad's car through Motorway, easily an extra 1k on WBAC price.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Are any of your target manufacturers offering any scrappage deals at the moment?....you may find that the 2009 Astra might get you more money as an effective deposit if you used it as part of a scrappage deal against a new vehicle, than if you simply sold it to WBAC or similar.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks Brian, the list is in fact a little longer, have the Merc GLB, Range Rover Sport, Landy disco and defender, Lexus RXL, Pug 5008...

The Skoda has always been top of my list, the wife wants the Audi... Huge gulf in price difference and in my opinion, for not enough! I stopped being a brand snob years ago!! But we will slowly start narrowing down the list!

We looked at the RR Sport but boot space was terrible.
Can’t go wrong with the merc in my opinion.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
We looked at the RR Sport but boot space was terrible.
Can’t go wrong with the merc in my opinion.

Ah ok, boot space is needed, we have 4 growing kids so need the 7 seater, plus the dog, we have got into camping so have mountains of kit (roof box), want a tow bar for bikes, we are like the Beverly hill billies when we go on a road trip!!:ROFLMAO:

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Ah ok, boot space is needed, we have 4 growing kids so need the 7 seater, plus the dog, we have got into camping so have mountains of kit (roof box), want a tow bar for bikes, we are like the Beverly hill billies when we go on a road trip!!:ROFLMAO:

We are the same, cars loaded up all the time ??
You get the TV’s in the headrest for the kids in the Disco, superb for the longer journeys.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Are any of your target manufacturers offering any scrappage deals at the moment?....you may find that the 2009 Astra might get you more money as an effective deposit if you used it as part of a scrappage deal against a new vehicle, than if you simply sold it to WBAC or similar.
Scrappage scheme doesn't exist anymore. All they are giving you is the usual discount available but dressing it up as scrappage.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

My wife was the same. Didn't want a Skoda. Wanted a Q7. As soon as she saw the Skoda and sat in it, she was converted.

The Lexus RXL is a very nice car - we had one for a few days whilst the Skoda got some paint work repaired. All the space you'd need, Lexus luxury and fuel economy was surprisingly good too (for such a massive car).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When it comes to buying cards for the past few I have bought ex hire cars, they normally go on the market either when they reach a a certain mileage or one year old and are sold buy the original manufacturer through dealerships. Last 2 were about 60% off new price. (Last one £13k against list new of of £22K)

However you may not find what you want in your car choice.

Roundabout now is when they might appear, last years Sept plate.