How often do you replace your wedges?

Albo

Visit site
I play a lot more than once per week and don’t change them that regularly.
In all honesty, I don’t keep them clean enough to really notice a difference between new or old groves.
Edit to add;
I guess it depends how good a player you are and how much spin control you really need.

TigerBear

Visit site
I play a lot more than once per week and don’t change them that regularly.
In all honesty, I don’t keep them clean enough to really notice a difference between new or old groves.
Edit to add;
I guess it depends how good a player you are and how much spin control you really need.

Main reason I've upgraded was because my previous set were second hand so probably around a good 8 or 9 years old!

HPIMG

Visit site
Mine are just over a year old and the 48 and 52 and still fine but I’m starting to think my 58 needs replacing just because I use it so much more than the others.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Titleist say that after 75 rounds your wedges will produce noticeably less spin so should be replaced...
I suppose they would say that but I reckon they're not too far off.
Mind you, as you use your wedges and they wear down, you get used to the reduced spin/extra roll so you don't really see it.
It might only make 2 or 3 yards difference in stopping power but that could be the difference between a 3 foot putt or a 12 foot putt...

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Titleist say that after 75 rounds your wedges will produce noticeably less spin so should be replaced...
I suppose they would say that but I reckon they're not too far off.
Mind you, as you use your wedges and they wear down, you get used to the reduced spin/extra roll so you don't really see it.
It might only make 2 or 3 yards difference in stopping power but that could be the difference between a 3 foot putt or a 12 foot putt...

Most golfers are short of the hole, perhaps less spin is a bonus.

Jason.H

Visit site
I’m not one for changing wedges often. I’m the past I had Cleveland wedges that were 6 years old and the sand wedge barely had grooves yet they were still fantastic. A premium ball would still spin well.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I changed my Cleveland wedges after 10 years. At the fitting, my SW was giving me around 4,400rpm, about the same as my 4 iron! Definitely needed changed.
Highest spinning wedge I tried on the day was a Cobra at 11,500rpm!
Settled for the Ping Glide Forged at around 9,500rpm, I think.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
And the fact most people come up short they would be better off with a bit less spin.
Most people don’t spin it as much as they think anyway, that is why they think their pitchmark should be close to the ball and they miss the one that is 10 yards back 😡

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Posts #7 and #8 are both true in my experience.

For most people, most of the time, putting a lot of spin on the ball with full shots means it will spin away from the hole, not towards it.

Awareness, experience, judgement and skill of picking your landing spot and predicting how your ball will react with the green for that shot is the important thing.

Jason.H

Visit site
I changed my Cleveland wedges after 10 years. At the fitting, my SW was giving me around 4,400rpm, about the same as my 4 iron! Definitely needed changed.
Highest spinning wedge I tried on the day was a Cobra at 11,500rpm!
Settled for the Ping Glide Forged at around 9,500rpm, I think.

Why did you say that? now you’re going to have me looking at new wedges. I keep getting a Titleist ad for those black sm9,s 😂🤣

Jason.H

Visit site
With my wedges last summer it’s pretty much drop and stop or it comes back a couple of feet. This winter there’s too much spin so I hit a club extra with a three quarter swing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whenever I get the itch to change 😄. They are the least exciting clubs for me to replace so they are usually the oldest clubs in my bag. Current wedges are about 6yrs old. I might change my 52 wedge this year, I blame @Beezerk and his spending spree, but the sand wedge and 60 will still be there in another 6yrs I suspect.