How often do you replace your wedges?

evemccc

Visit site
Most golfers are short of the hole, perhaps less spin is a bonus.

Just use more loft and less spin for short-game shorts I guess

@KenL You mentioned forged wedges need replacing sooner…what’s the benefit in having forged wedges (or irons for that matter)?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I should give mine another year as I really like them though Bratty has got me thinking about spin numbers 😂
It sounds like you're getting enough spin from yours still. Drop and stop in summer with my old ones never happened! Chip and runs in winter were frisky!
You may be good a while longer.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last year I replaced two SM6s with SM9s. The SM6s are now in my carry bag along with my old set of 2012 CBs which are my winter clubs.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Got my last ones as part of a new set of Mizuno JPX900s 6 years ago. They still produce enough spin and bite on greens and I play 3 times a week during BST hours

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to change the 52 as soon as I felt as if was not giving enough greenside spin. It is the most used wedge in my bag. Probably change every 2 years.

The 56 is donkeys years old as it is only used for shots out of bunkers.

The various other wedges I have are all quite old simply because they do not get used enough as they get switched quite often.

54 low bounce may get changed at the end of this year because our bunkers have been hard pan most of the winter so it has been used in the bunkers more than it would be normally.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I replaced mine after 3 years, they were only a cheap set of Wilson Deep Reds and have been replaced by a cheap set of Kirklands :ROFLMAO:

If I was buying vokeys at £160 a pop they'd last at least 5 years :ROFLMAO:

Jason.H

Visit site
I replaced mine after 3 years, they were only a cheap set of Wilson Deep Reds and have been replaced by a cheap set of Kirklands :ROFLMAO:

If I was buying vokeys at £160 a pop they'd last at least 5 years :ROFLMAO:

A playing partner has a Kirkland wedge set and he uses Kirkland balls. The spin he gets is ridiculous to a point he rarely gets to the hole. He gave me a Kirkland signature ball to try and I used it with a pro v1 and the kirky was zipping back 6 feet pro v1 about 2 feet.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
A playing partner has a Kirkland wedge set and he uses Kirkland balls. The spin he gets is ridiculous to a point he rarely gets to the hole. He gave me a Kirkland signature ball to try and I used it with a pro v1 and the kirky was zipping back 6 feet pro v1 about 2 feet.

They're a brilliant set of clubs for the money - make it far more viable to change clubs sooner.

I'm no pro, my spin rates aren't stunning, but I 100% chip and pitch better with these wedges than I did with the Wilsons

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm sure I saw somewhere that tour pros change their wedges every 3 months. Every 3 years or so for me.
Padraig Harrington confessed to changing them every 2-4 weeks. His mates all have very nice wedges in their bags, I believe was his comment. He changes them that often partly because he gets them for free and so he can, and partly because he is an obsessive practicer.

How often the others change them probably depends on how far up the food chain they all are. How the pro's live..........

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s great if you can make yourself hit it behind the hole.
But in my golfing life I have Not seen many who do this regularly.

most ams would be better off using a ball that spins less.

ps I found a Kirkland the other day and was very impressed with it.
unfortunately I am in the mostly short of the pin category.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Padraig Harrington confessed to changing them every 2-4 weeks. His mates all have very nice wedges in their bags, I believe was his comment. He changes them that often partly because he gets them for free and so he can, and partly because he is an obsessive practicer.

How often the others change them probably depends on how far up the food chain they all are. How the pro's live..........

Its interesting isnt it, I find it weird that they dont change irons that often considering they still get a lot of spin with longer approach clubs too! (9-8 irons)

You see the odd picture of a tour pro's irons and they're beaten to death!

Jason.H

Visit site
For me as a low handicapper I only ever want more spin when I’m within 50 yard or if I’ve short sided myself on fast greens. High lofty pitches are what I’m working on.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its interesting isnt it, I find it weird that they dont change irons that often considering they still get a lot of spin with longer approach clubs too! (9-8 irons)

You see the odd picture of a tour pro's irons and they're beaten to death!
Maybe they practice more with the wedges and just wear the grooves down quicker? I can visualise them hitting 100+ wedge shots a day, not so much 100 7 irons. I don't know, just thinking out loud, or on a keyboard........

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Maybe they practice more with the wedges and just wear the grooves down quicker? I can visualise them hitting 100+ wedge shots a day, not so much 100 7 irons. I don't know, just thinking out loud, or on a keyboard........

Yeah but these irons are battered!

Tommy Fleetwoods 6 iron for example -

iron.jpg

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I watched a Taylormade tour bus video recently and the guy said Rory has new wedges every event.
We play a bit in Florida and with most courses built on sand this takes a toll on your clubs.
one season there and your clubs are shot.
it’s like playing with sandblasted faces as the sand between club and ball really grates.
so with the practice they do I’m not surprised.