How much would this golf ball be worth?

OGChubbsPeterson

Visit site
Evening all, Phil Mickelson gave me his golf ball on the third hole of the final day at the 2013 Open @ Muirfield. I was just wondering how much this ball could be worth given he used it on Sunday to win the Open? I understand its quite a vague question but i'd imagine there would be plenty of people who would value a piece of golfing history.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Is it signed or anything? If not, your biggest problem will be that it looks just like any other golf ball, and whilst I’m happy to believe you, I can’t imagine anyone paying more than a couple of quid without some proof.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Evening all, Phil Mickelson gave me his golf ball on the third hole of the final day at the 2013 Open @ Muirfield. I was just wondering how much this ball could be worth given he used it on Sunday to win the Open? I understand its quite a vague question but i'd imagine there would be plenty of people who would value a piece of golfing history.

In 1956, Ted Williams, unapproached as a baseball batsman by anybody other than Babe Ruth, gave me an autographed baseball.
Whatever I could have gotten for it would not have been worth giving it up. I'd merely spend the money and not have anything. The ball remains in a glass orb on the bookshelves of my library.

The diifference is, however, that Mr. Williams meant something to me. As soon as Williams returned from Korea in 1953, my dad, who really didn't care for any sport except boxing, realized that he had to take me to see the legendary Red Sox star play.

If Mr. Mickelson is nothing special to you, you may decide to keep it or you may decide to sell it, even if you just get enough for a nice dinner someplace.

OGChubbsPeterson

Visit site
Is it signed or anything? If not, your biggest problem will be that it looks just like any other golf ball, and whilst I’m happy to believe you, I can’t imagine anyone paying more than a couple of quid without some proof.

Yep thats my concern. I made a facebook post about it the day it happened in excitement, was only about 15 or so when it happened. I'd say that gives its some authenticity as it would be a weird thing for someone to post publicly the day he won. I'd venture as far as to say that's more evidence than a "signed" ball. To me anybody could forge a signature on a golf ball/any surface. Heck i could buy 100 bridgestone balls and get tiger printed on them and forge tigers signature on it. The ball Phil gave me has his trademark 4 tiny black dots over the callaway logo, as well as a couple of wear marks from wedges presumably. I'd say i've as much proof as you could get without having video evidence of phil handing it to me, but i agree that without proof people will naturally be skeptical. :)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yep thats my concern. I made a facebook post about it the day it happened in excitement, was only about 15 or so when it happened. I'd say that gives its some authenticity as it would be a weird thing for someone to post publicly the day he won. I'd venture as far as to say that's more evidence than a "signed" ball. To me anybody could forge a signature on a golf ball/any surface. Heck i could buy 100 bridgestone balls and get tiger printed on them and forge tigers signature on it. The ball Phil gave me has his trademark 4 tiny black dots over the callaway logo, as well as a couple of wear marks from wedges presumably. I'd say i've as much proof as you could get without having video evidence of phil handing it to me, but i agree that without proof people will naturally be skeptical. :)

based on that about £1 sadly for you, cant see anyone paying any real amount of money with no real provenance

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I guess the crux is simply that it could be 'any' ball of the same model/year etc that has been copied/doctored to look like the original you have. I think you'd need proof of provenance that is verifiable to the specific ball not circumstantial to any similarly marked ball - keep it as a great memory.

OGChubbsPeterson

Visit site
based on that about £1 sadly for you, cant see anyone paying any real amount of money with no real provenan
I guess the crux is simply that it could be 'any' ball of the same model/year etc that has been copied/doctored to look like the original you have. I think you'd need proof of provenance that is verifiable to the specific ball not circumstantial to any similarly marked ball - keep it as a great memory.

cheers, i'm pretty much in agreement with all you guys. PoP is literally the only thing that could verify the balls authenticity other than perhaps some crazily accurate DNA test lol. Ill keep hold of it for now. Perhaps in good time i could be in luck.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Phil doesn't sign any golf balls.

I believe he has a signed ball for each of his kids that they can auction off sell in the future for money should they ever require it.

That's why he refuses to sign golf balls as it increases the value and rarity of these balls.

OGChubbsPeterson

Visit site
here's a few pics for those curious ones out there :) You can see its the tour issue ++ ball, so not the kind you can buy in shops i don't think.

Attachments

• 81866877_736443710181357_560119282210439168_n.jpg
    81866877_736443710181357_560119282210439168_n.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 27
  • 81976746_614236159338673_5082249052058288128_n.jpg
    81976746_614236159338673_5082249052058288128_n.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 82038279_315643972661614_6289692885860220928_n.jpg
    82038279_315643972661614_6289692885860220928_n.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I believe he has a signed ball for each of his kids that they can auction off sell in the future for money should they ever require it.

That's why he refuses to sign golf balls as it increases the value and rarity of these balls.

Jack Nicklaus also refused to sign golf balls.

D

Deleted member 23344

The question to ask yourself is “how much would I be prepared to pay for it if someone I didn’t know personally offered it to me without provenance?” I suspect the answer would be “nothing”. Where an otherwise valueless item has been owned by someone famous, provenance is everything.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

He must be worried that he’s going to spunk all his money in the Bookies again & leave his kids nothing.