HOW MANY WEDGES DO YOU CARRY?

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I used to carry 4 wedges but needed a 2 rescue more. With 4 wedges there were too many choices, better 3 I think.

I carry four wedges. PW, AW, SW and a Cleveland 900 58 Low bounce. I am looking to drop one.

The lofts on my TM R7 are strong PW - 45, GW - 50 and SW - 55. I believe the spacing between lofts should be 4 to 6 degrees. I really should be looking at a GW - 51 and SW - 56 or 57 so i can drop the Cleveland 58. Anybody aware of a 51 degree gap wedge out there? Most do a 50 or 52.

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
GB72 - does the little cake next to your ID name mean it's your birthday. If so, "Many happy returns." If not, sorry to bother you.

T

thecraw

Ping I5 wedge
Ping Tour Gap wedge 52
Ping tour Lob wedge 58

Although I am so tempted to go for the Nike SV 52 AND 58. Any takers for my Pings? :D ;)

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got my Wilson Staff Di7 pw + sw and also use a Wilson 64 degree I love it, took a while to use effectively but wouldnt swap it.

Happy birthday GB72!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you not find the difference in loft between the PW and SW in the Di7s massive, it equated to about 20 yards for me.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
At times, the weakest part of my game is consistency in distance, each clubs distance ranges about 10 yards every time. Below are the degrees of the Wilson di7 wedges.

PW 43.0
GW 49.0
SW 55.0
LW 60.0 + 64.0°

The pw and sw do have a massive gap in degrees loft. Maybee you should invest in a GW?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's a complete con, htl.

Just checked the Mizuno website ( I have MP-30s) and the 8 iron is 40 degrees and the 9 iron is 44 degrees.

You have an "8 and a bit" iron masquerading as a wedge.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I carry three wedges PW SW from the Wilson deep red 11 and a TaylorMade Satin RAC 58%.

I use the taylormade for bunkers as i do not like the weight or chunkiness of the Wilson SW especially from sand.
I generally hit the PW 110 yds and the SW 100 yds. The Taylormade goes about 90yds from the fairway.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
What do you mean by con mate? that info is off the Wilson Staff website.

Do you mean that's how they claim to be the longest irons?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, htl. The info is obviously cosher.

What I mean is that manufacturers nowadays are gradually lowering the loft on the standard wedges they provide with full sets so that you HAVE to buy an extra gap wedge, sand wedge and probably lob wedge to provide a decent gap in distance for the shots we all play.

10/15 years ago I'm guessing most standard wedges provided with full sets were probably 52 degrees. So most people only bought an extra sand wedge. Now most folk have to buy another 3. The manufacturers are conning us out of our hand earned dosh.

And yes, it's partly why people can claim to hit their wedge 140 yards. It's a feckin' 8 iron.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see mate, Thanks for that info.

So myself and GB72 need to invest in a new Gap wedge. Are all companies doing this?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agreed, have noticed that most sets no have an extra gap wedge available to fill the gap that they have created. A nice little earner for the manufacturers

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Certainly most companies have been doing this for some time.

You don't need to buy extra wedges, of course, but do you really fancy trying delicate little chips and pitches around the green with 43 degrees of loft in your hands?

You'll end up opening up the face to get the required loft and if there is more then 4 degrees of bounce on the club then you risk skulling everything because the leading edge is hittting the ball on it's equator.