How many penalty shots?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23270

Played last week, got to the par 5 9th tee. Topped my drive into the heather in front of the tee and one of the others found my ball. Played it, left it in the heather. Played again and hacked it out. It hit a tree and one of the others pointed out to me where it had finished up. Ball was unplayable so I marked it and lifted it to take a drop. At this point I discovered I had played the wrong ball.
I'm not sure how many penalty shots I racked up and how I should have proceeded so I NR'd the hole to save any messing about.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played last week, got to the par 5 9th tee. Topped my drive into the heather in front of the tee and one of the others found my ball. Played it, left it in the heather. Played again and hacked it out. It hit a tree and one of the others pointed out to me where it had finished up. Ball was unplayable so I marked it and lifted it to take a drop. At this point I discovered I had played the wrong ball.
I'm not sure how many penalty shots I racked up and how I should have proceeded so I NR'd the hole to save any messing about.
Strokeplay: 2 stroke penalty for playing the wrong ball. Any strokes with the wrong ball (including penalties) do not count. But it must be corrected before starting the next hole or DQ.
Matchplay: Loss of hole.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Strokes including penalties with the wrong ball are discounted. You needed to go back, find and play your own ball. With the 2 stroke penalty for playing the wrong ball you are playing your 4th If you couldn’t find it, you take stroke and distance, playing your 5th.

salfordlad

Visit site
Strokes including penalties with the wrong ball are discounted. You needed to go back, find and play your own ball. With the 2 stroke penalty for playing the wrong ball you are playing your 4th If you couldn’t find it, you take stroke and distance, playing your 5th.
These numbers work if the very first stroke you made in the heather was with the wrong ball, ie that the ball the "others" found was not your original. But on your information, it may also be possible that your second stroke was with your ball and your third swing was with the wrong ball. In that latter case, there is one extra stroke to include. Make your best judgement on which is the more reliable answer depending on all the facts to hand.