How many good shots do you hit?

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think at the range playing of mats and playing shot after shot is very false and has little in common with a game for real. Ok it helps to try clubs, drills and work on technique but apart from that range work in my opinion puts you back.

I think we also expect perfect shots every time but in reality this is impossible based on the degree of error to striking the face / ball at the precise spot every time hence the need for extended sweet spots on clubs with more forgiving features.

Its a marvel most of us manage to hit the ball at all !!

I think my bad shots are probably 10% of a typical game, but still they may move in the right direction, real stinkers i.e topped, wrong distance and into water i would say 1%

As long as the ball is getting nearer the hole its not a bad shot ;)

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thank you Dr Bob!

Do you count good bad ones? I duffed my tee shot at a par three last weekend but it was a worker and trundled up two inches from the hole.
Imagine if in golf you werent allowed to have a skanky shot like that and you had to replay it til it soared beautifully. how annoying would it be if your two inches from the hole skank and birdie (?) was disallowed and you had to take the lovely shot no matter where it ended up! Nothing wrong with a bit of skank i say! ;)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think at the range playing of mats and playing shot after shot is very false and has little in common with a game for real. Ok it helps to try clubs, drills and work on technique but apart from that range work in my opinion puts you back.

I don't think it puts you back.. it puts you forward but the improvement every time is not measurable, it's too small.

I can groove my putting on the practice green until I feel I can hole everything.... then putt me on the green off the 1st hole and that grooved feel has gone... or has it? I reckon I'd be putting better but only holing them makes me really see that... a miss and you wouldn't think you've improved.... small margins.

can we do ½hr putting and expect to hole everything? No.
Can we hit 50 balls on the range then expect to pure 5 irons from 185yds... No.

But we're getting better.

Dreamer2

Head Pro
Visit site
i like to hit the 6/7 iron on the range & it's all about learning different shots ,,if i was to hit 80 balls i would be happy with at least 70 balls only with the contact thought ,,probably not the end result ,if I'm trying right to left etc

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i hit 80-100 balls on the range, id say about 35-40% are good, 15-20% are not great but would not put me in any real trouble, and the rest are all rubbish...

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Imagine if in golf you werent allowed to have a skanky shot like that and you had to replay it til it soared beautifully. how annoying would it be if your two inches from the hole skank and birdie (?) was disallowed and you had to take the lovely shot no matter where it ended up! Nothing wrong with a bit of skank i say! ;)

It's quite a difficult hole that one. One of my playing partners kept telling people what a good shot I hit.... I just looked embarrassed and told them it was a duff....