How many good shots do you hit?

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For example, if you're down the range and you hit 50 balls....how many of these do you hit well?

I'm an 18 handicapper and would say that I hit 50% of my shots well. I really give myself a hard time over it because I want every shot to go where I want it to! But after thinking about it, I quickly realised that not even the pros get it right all of the time.

Percentage wise, how many do you get right? Feel free to add your handicap to your comment as it would really interest me how high and low handicappers get on.

Cheers

Leaney

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
At the range I'm usually honing technique and so I'm not overly fussed on the end result all of the time certainly in the initial stages when I am trying to get the change to work. As a 13 handicapper out of 50 I would say there will be 7-10 that are absolutely pure. Another 10-15 will be very good and 8 or 9 out of 10. Another 10 will be acceptable. Probably a little heavy, out of the toe or heel or maybe moving too far left or right and would be short or missing the target on the course. I'll probably have 7 or 8 real stinkers.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Given that Nicklaus stated that in any round (say 40 shots) he hit 2 or maybe 3 perfectly, then we should have pretty low expectations of our perfect shots!

Out of 300 odd shots I saw today, with handicaps ranging from 4 to 17, I saw half a dozen really good drives, and 3 or 4 great iron shots!

So a pretty masochistic game we play eh!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
At the range, I'd be surprised if I hit more than 5-10 out of 100 "BAD" shots. Not all pure, but acceptable and would put me in a scoring position. On the course it's a different matter...

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
With your handicap, if you'r only hitting 50% well at the range you will do well to hit 20% on the course when the pressure is on. It could be even less.

So by that thinking, an 18 handicapper only hits 20% of his shots really well? You could well be right I guess.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To be honest I don't give a hoot in a competition how I hit it. I care how many times I have to do it.

In a roll up game or a solo round then I care a lot more and I treat them as nothing more than glorified practice and so it matters then if I'm not hitting it well. Less pressure and I should be trusting what I've worked on and seeing the results and the ball going as it does on the range

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be honest I don't give a hoot in a competition how I hit it. I care how many times I have to do it.

In a roll up game or a solo round then I care a lot more and I treat them as nothing more than glorified practice and so it matters then if I'm not hitting it well. Less pressure and I should be trusting what I've worked on and seeing the results and the ball going as it does on the range

Is this not a bit backward Homer?

Surely if you are hitting the ball well then you need to worry less about hitting it too many times as the score should be taking care of itself?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Is this not a bit backward Homer?

Surely if you are hitting the ball well then you need to worry less about hitting it too many times as the score should be taking care of itself?

Not really (I think). In a comp I don't want to be wrapped up in anything technical and so if the ball striking isn't great then its about find any which whay you can to get a good score. Striking can be addressed at the range another time. The solo or roll up game is a time to really see if the changes and work are working. It is a real time environment, one chance saloon. I don't often care about the scores and am never too fussed about winning the roll up pot. It's about using it to see how the ball striking is going and if I'm not having a good day then trying to work on it on the course without the card and pencil getting in the way.

It seems logical on Planet Homer anyway

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
How many good shots in a round?

Depends how high you set your standards.

I've got to accept that i'm not as good at this game, as i'd like to be, and lower my expectations a little bit. For example, not getting cheesed off when I can't hit the green from 170 yards away into the wind, because i've slightly pulled my 5 iron.

With that in mind. I feel that any shot in which I am trying to get the ball on the green, from >50 yards, is a 'good' shot. If it ends up the right side of the hole, for me it is a 'great' shot.

If I catch a 6 iron sweet and it soars through the air, but turns left/right and falls into a bunker, then I won't be disappointed.

How many shots do I hit in a round, that most people would be happy with? One, if i'm lucky.

I can honestly say that at the range the other night I hit about 120 balls, and I caught one of them nice. Just one. My confidence and form were smashed to bits after that.