How many clubs do you carry but never use?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
3 wood, 5 iron and 6 iron for me.

Haven't tried the 3 wood for 2-3 years, just couldn't get away with it. Should really give it a try now that I'm a lot more consistent with my hybrids.

5 and 6 irons i reckon I have hit 3 or 4 times maximum on the course since I bought the set a year ago. 5 hybrid is just a better option for me.

Not sure why I bother carrying the above as there is zero chance I would ever reach for any of them.
You have the same 'enemy clubs' as I have.

However, the 3w stays in the boot these days. Not to tempt me at all.
The 5i is carried. (actually without trolley it joins the 3w in the car)
The 6i I can use as a 'shot for nothing'. If it works it works, if it doesn't work the ball ends up far enough that I can wedge it on after.

Carlwm

Visit site
Don't use the 3 & 4 iron because I'm useless with them. Recently bought a hybrid and I'm struggling with that as well. Maybe one shot in four goes well so I'm not sure how much use that's going to get, either.

Springveldt

Visit site
I play my home course 95% of the time and depending on the wind then there are some clubs that just don't get used in a round. I rarely hit my 3 wood as I'm driver off the tee and I don't trust it on second shots into our par 5's since there is trouble surrounding all 3 of the greens. By trouble I mean trees within 20 yards of the side of the greens, not bunkers. Only time I really use it is when it's a strong into wind on the 4th as I don't have any other club that can go 210 into the wind.

I've also went rounds without getting the 5 iron out due to the wind as it's not needed on any of the par 3's (they are usually too long into the wind or too short with the wind), the par 4's are either too short or too long for it and I'll use my hybrids to lay up the par 5's.

greenone

Visit site
3 hybrid is used once per round. 235 yd par 3. Normally miss the green left.

If I'm not using a club it's either replaced or removed, no point in humping extra weight around for no reason.

Last edited:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve only carried 12 clubs for years 2 weeks ago I got a 52d wedge only used that club twice in 6rounds.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have 14 clubs in my bag and they are the same ones that have been there for about five years. Some might not get used for a few rounds but whatever the shot dictates is the club that I use. Non of them are passengers because I cannot hit/don’t like them.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have 14 clubs in my bag and they are the same ones that have been there for about five years. Some might not get used for a few rounds but whatever the shot dictates is the club that I use. Non of them are passengers because I cannot hit/don’t like them.
Exactly. And for me distance and weather conditions are only two factors I consider. In a recent match - with 150yds to go but tricky to hit and hold raised green and all I needed was to get there or thereabouts in 2 and down in 5 would win me the hole - I just punched a low running hybrid. It ended up just to left of green. Chip and a putt for a 4. Straightforward hole win.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why do that when you can hit hybrids instead? Much more efficient.
Is a six hybrid a thing?
Also, I got the impression the OP was struggling with the long game.
At my club there are a few par 4s that if the longest club in the bag you use is a 5 iron you are going to struggle.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is a six hybrid a thing?
Also, I got the impression the OP was struggling with the long game.
At my club there are a few par 4s that if the longest club in the bag you use is a 5 iron you are going to struggle.
I use a 27° hybrid instead of a 6 iron so you can call it 6 hybrid if you like. :p

Who said the longest club they hit is a 5 iron??

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The OP said 5 hybrid was a better option than 5 iron or 3 wood, that's how I read it.

I use my 5 hybrid rather than my 5 iron. I can also take a bit off it in preference to my 6 iron.

I've also got a 3 hybrid which is pretty reliable and is used in preference to the 3 wood.

AliMc

Visit site
Today I shot 3 over 74 (off 5)
Carry 14 clubs, used them all except 3 hybrid, 4 hybrid and 50 degree wedge
Just for you Ken:
Clubs used
Driver: 14 - fairways hit 10
3w: 3
5i: 2
6i: 2
7i: 5
8i: 1
9i: 4
W: 1
54w: 3
58w: 3
GIR:12
Putts: 36 - 28 on the greens

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Man, if you have clubs you never use then you have something everyone else craves. Space. I would love more options. Change your perception and consider distances. Do you have a par 3 you struggle with? Who cares if it’s a 9 wood, a 3 hybrid or a 4 iron? It’s whatever that distance demands. If you’re not happy with a club - drop it - you have options. I played recently with a serious player who stepped off a tee after going long and says “I thought 7 iron was enough”. Im standing there thinking I was thinking 5 iron. And he’s gone long with 7. But 5 is actually my club. And my other buddy is taking a 4 wood. The two of us hit the green.

it’s all relative. You have 14 clubs. I carry a 4 iron and a 4 hybrid. They go different distances and do different things. Play on playa