How many cards do you put in?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I was just on HowdidIdo looking at my years record in comps, and have found that I have put 12 cards in this year. I play in all the comps I can, and miss only the ones when I am on holiday (which isn't many). 12 doesn't seem many, and 2 of those were on the same day. No wonder it can be a bit nervy on the first tee, I never get used to playing in them.

I used to put a card in every weekend at my previous club, but at this one, there doesn't seem to be the opportunity, unless you can play in the mid week stuff which requires taking time off work. Weekend comps are few and far between, with nothing between November and February, and some quite big gaps (5 weeks in July/August) during the summer too.

So, how many cards do you put in?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I only managed my obligatory 3 last year. Was a 5 day member so only allowed to play Wednesday medals and quite a few were cancelled due to bad weather. Perhaps tells me why I fall apart with a card in my hand.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
A quick look on HDID and it's 22 qualifying cards for me from January this year. Hopefully I'll get a few more in before the end of the year.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Only played in one qualifying comp this year. Got a medal coming up on Sunday which I have put my name down for and will try to fit another couple in before seasons end.
Trouble is, the mid-week Stablefords are always held on a Wednesday which is impossible for me to get off. I also work every Saturday which only leaves Sundays. I play a lot of social golf "away from home" which obviously cocks up my chances of playing in too many week-end comps.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Only managed 2 this year - one at my old club and one at my new one. Got to try to get the last medal of the year in wednesday week.
Used to play every weekend, all weekend and put 30+ cards in per year - days long since gone.

B

birdieman

Managed 28 this year, didn't think that was very many but from reading earlier posts that seems ok. We only go April to early October up here.

Doubt I'll manage 28 next year.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
From april til now 33 , with 11 of them away from home. Season has now finished for handicap adjustments and I went from 9.1 to 4.8. A good year methinks :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I play in as many as I can. Usually totals around 25 or so for the year, sometimes more. Competitive golf is what my membership is all about. I love my friendly games with the boys on a Saturday morning for a few quid but nothing beats grinding out a medal score.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've played most weekend comps since May, missed a couple here and there due to hols, but only managed 12 so far. Couple more to go.

We only have 1 medal, 1 trophy a month, then maybe one other 'special' comp at weekends. There is a weekly comp on Wednesdays, but I don't have the time to play in it due to work and home commitments.

I'd really like to play more comps as I love competitive play and it's the only way to get my handicap down.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
We have comps on every sat & sun and with a midweek stableford between mon-fri which isnt Qual. I play about 6 times a month and since been unemployed I play during the week once now, so about 10 rounds a month. Now its all turkey medals or xmas stableford or bottle greensomes.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I guess my club must be unusual then, as I haven't missed that many, we just don't have many to start with. I would love to get back to comps every weekend, as I feel you get more comfortable with a card in your hand.

That said, I have played off 11/12 for 20 years, and have varied from putting in 40 cards a year to 12 cards, and play off the same. My golf is better now than it ever has been, especially my short game, but it isn't paying off as I get tight with a medal card in the pocket.