How is your course management ??

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
As it says on the tin, how does your course management stand up.

Since I've been back playing my course management is night and day to how it was years ago and the difference it makes to scoring is huge.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Better than most I play with. I know my capabilities and my percentage plays, it keeps my handicap lower than my regular playing partners despite them being 20-30yds further off the tee.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Horrific, ego always takes over at some point particularly to break a hit streak.

Improved a bit in recent years but given I only play once, maybe twice if lucky a month then consistency isn’t there but fun to take on the 1 in a 100 shots.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not good. Tried to be pragmatic today as I wasn't swinging well but couldn't even execute the simple stuff. I am trying hard to think better and more strategically but a long way to go yet. Probably a 4/10

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Poor, if there's a chance I might pull it off I'll go for it, and more often than not it ends in tears.

It's one thing I'm hoping to improve on this year.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When I am playing well the game is easy and I make good decisions

When I am playing poorly I often find myself getting more aggressive and making further mistakes

Really lets me down and lose scores from it

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Best part of my game. It’s a constant battle for my swing/ability to try to keep up with what my brain wants to do, thankfully I’m pretty good at giving myself a break and working around my limitations. Management has become even more important with a dodgy back to deal with now.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
2nd strongest part of my game after my putting.

Happy to take the ego out of things and never have an issue laying up if it’s the right choice.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I made two poor club selections today, other than that I wouldn't have changed a thing, hero shots and sucker pins are the two things I've cut from my game.

Bwgan

Hacker
Visit site
Played my first ever medal yesterday and off the whites for the first time too.... this summed it up, when your in the trees get it out first time anywhere but still in the trees 🤣07779D31-AEF4-4511-BF7D-77FEAAE3EAB2.jpg

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Around the Zoo you need to plan well to score well.
And it's all very well planning what you want to do, it's doing it!
I think my CM is fairly good up to the point of needing to play the shot....after that it's in then lap of the Gods..

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A lot better than a few years back. Then it was zero - I would try anything, regardless of the low percentage success. At times now I think I've gone too far the other way. I take little risks and yes scores and game in general has improved. I need to reconsider the times when percentages are better than 50/50 and take on a few of those every now and again. If its not 90% I don't attempt it.

Yesterday was a prime example of when I take zero risk. Played 9 holes and on the last a very large tree (middle of the fairway) was blocking out any reasonable shot to the green. Most of my playing partners will try and run a low one as close to the green as they can - getting maybe 20 yards from it. I feel this shot can go wrong and I simply advance the ball 30/40 yards (guaranteed) and wedge my third on (90% guaranteed) and accept a bogey (I get a shot). A simple bogey guaranteed. MY PP say I shud be trying to advance that 2nd shot much closer for a chance of and up and down.

I say - I had 23 points yesterday - they had 17 and 19.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Improving. Take the driver a lot less, and use irons more, but still come undone at times.

In a match yesterday, had a shot on the first (416yds) so took a 5 iron with the aim of just keeping it in play. Straight up the middle into a strong breeze, bit of draw, looked great until it hit the ground. Took a big bounce sieways and got blocked out by a large oak. Had to play a low draw round the oak, quite happy to do that, but I somehow managed to shank it right across the fairway, blocking myself out again. Third shot was a low punch under the tree canopy, perfect, but didn't stop and ran through the tree line onto the 10th, completely blocking me out again. No way forward without hitting trees, opponents already on the green for three, had to go for it, unsuccessful.

So much for trying to play smart, should have just hit a driver in the first place :whoo:

But in all seriousness, I am happier using the the irons more now, and feel that it will help improve my scoring through the summer.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
pretty good i would say, though ive been told i'm too conservative at times.

I do have the fact i don't hit it far in my favor, so can't go for hero shots on the hole

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Probably the strongest part of my game along with match temperament.

I know my limitations, and hate giving shots back to the course

Bad shots I can deal with, but stupid shots unforgivable

D

Deleted member 21258

Everyone plays golf for different reasons, I play for the buzz of a good shot and not to shoot low scores.

As a result most would call my course management bad.

pinberry

Club Champion
Visit site
An interesting "system" on strategy is Decade, by Scott Fawcett. Several PGA Tour players follow his system, which is just common sense strategy backed up by real world experience.

Watch a few YouTube clips on this system as it will dispel some myths around strategy, especially at the higher levels.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
My course management is fine as long as my game is good. I have a plan for every hole. The trouble usually starts when I hit a catastrophic miss. I know you should plan for your misses, but you can't really plan for a shank or for a duffed tee shot. They just happen. And I know the best way to handle this would be to get back on track with the next shot and then stick to the plan again, so chip it back out onto the fairway or just try to hit it to the position where the original shot was supposed to end up, meaning you pick up one extra shot, but hopefully not more than that. But even though I know all this, this is usually where overconfidence raises its ugly head and I think: if I now hit a full hybrid with that little bit of draw and I catch that slope, I won't have lost a shot at all. That is basically the moment when course management goes completely out of the window and I end up blobbing that hole.