How is Ready Golf going at your club?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Never seen it publicised anywhere but it's something we do. It's nothing to do with having to rush, just play while someone is getting ready or doing something else. Common sense to me and while it's not wholly embraced in comps yet, we still get round even in medals in four hours or under which I would consider reasonable and that's without ever feeling pressurised. Funny thing is, in roll ups where we do play ready golf regularly, we don't see huge changes in playing times

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What depresses me is the fact that a thing called Ready Golf is actually required at all.....
If people are playing properly it's not a necessity..

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
What depresses me is the fact that a thing called Ready Golf is actually required at all.....
If people are playing properly it's not a necessity..

Define "properly". Even if you have only swift players in your group, golf balls will be looked for in the rough, bunkers must be raked and occasionally something will keep the player with the honor from teeing up right away, making it practical to divert from the traditional order of play. You could also just call it "common sense" instead of "ready golf".

G

guest100718

Define "properly". Even if you have only swift players in your group, golf balls will be looked for in the rough, bunkers must be raked and occasionally something will keep the player with the honor from teeing up right away, making it practical to divert from the traditional order of play. You could also just call it "common sense" instead of "ready golf".

yes all good .. but I don't want other golfers doing stuff while I am taking my shot.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
yes all good .. but I don't want other golfers doing stuff while I am taking my shot.

But even if you follow the traditional order of play, they surely will (and are even required to by the rules). If they are concerned with pace of play at all, they will rake bunkers, take their measurements for the next shot, make their club selection, maybe change out or into their rain gear, eat a banana etc. all while you are taking your shot. They should do it as quietly and undisturbingly as possible, of course, but they should do it, because that is the only way that they are ready to play when it is their turn. That has nothing to do with Ready Golf. That's how the game is played (and failing to play it that way leads to the whole slow play problem in the first place), so you better get used to other players not turning to statues while you take you shot.

G

guest100718

But even if you follow the traditional order of play, they surely will (and are even required to by the rules). If they are concerned with pace of play at all, they will rake bunkers, take their measurements for the next shot, make their club selection, maybe change out or into their rain gear, eat a banana etc. all while you are taking your shot. They should do it as quietly and undisturbingly as possible, of course, but they should do it, because that is the only way that they are ready to play when it is their turn. That has nothing to do with Ready Golf. That's how the game is played (and failing to play it that way leads to the whole slow play problem in the first place), so you better get used to other players not turning to statues while you take you shot.

I'm sorry, I really dont get it.
Be ready to play your shot when it your turn to play, its pretty easy and thats the way my regular 4 ball play.
However I dont want some one raking a bunker or doing other stuff while I am about to putt/chip or whatever .

I'll stop and wait thanks

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
However I dont want some one raking a bunker or doing other stuff while I am about to putt/chip or whatever .

I'll stop and wait thanks

Would you like the birds to stop singing too?
You should work on your concentration.
Nobody behind you wants to wait on you waiting!

G

guest100718

Would you like the birds to stop singing too?
You should work on your concentration.
Nobody behind you wants to wait on you waiting!

ha ha very good. our 4 ball plays early before the course fills up with you wanna be pros marking 1 foot putts and making sure that line points in right direction

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
ha ha very good. our 4 ball plays early before the course fills up with you wanna be pros marking 1 foot putts and making sure that line points in right direction

Well, if you play with the same people every time and at a time when no one else is on the course, it doesn't really matter if you play Ready Golf or have a two minute ceremony of silence and a ritual washing before every shot.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not that I don't support it - more that I haven't heard of it being recommended at my place and the OP implies that it's something that's been recommended by some body. It's just never come up in any chat I've had with others either before, after or during a round. As it happens we do play 'ready golf' on an ad hoc basis in friendly knocks.

It is an R&A recommendation and will be incorporated in to the Rules of Golf from 1st January 2019

http://www.randa.org/Pace-of-Play-Manual/Rules/2-Management-Practices/SubRules/5-Ready-Golf