How important is balance?

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Managed to get to the range for the first time this year.

Once I'd warmed up (which took twice as long as it should have)

I belted a few balls whilst falling all over the place - many of which went fine.

Hit a few wedges to slow down my swing, lovely jubbly.

Went up to the 5I and hybrid with same controlled effort. okish but short with a fair few thins and fats in there

Gave up and started thrashing about again.

Much better results with distance, accuracy, and ball striking.

Just looked even more like a jerk than usual.

Any advice?

PS the pro saw me and said on the way out that I shouldn't be trying that S&T stuff - As far as I'm concerned I don't do S&T I just try and stay centred a bit.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess it's about consistency.

I read once about Padraig Harrington (I think) who tried hitting balls like a hockey shot with a step into the ball. When he connected he got more distance but the consistency of strike dropped.

I sometimes do it to release a bit of frustration at the range!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
In order to return the clubhead to the ball in the position you want consistently, balance is going to be a great help.
If you can consistently hit the ball where you want to standing on one leg with the other one flapping about like a Basset Hound's ear then play on.
Most of us, however, would collapse in a heap.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm coming to the conclusion that balance is all-important to my swing. Started when the Pro at my club 'challenged' me to swing while standing on a blow-up balance thingy - I was straight off the front. Seemed to explain a few of my swing issues, so determined to improve it. Bought a couple of the thingys to educate my body and it seemed to work as much more stable swing.

Broken left ankle has rather interrupted progress - physio work is actually to stand one-leggedly on the damaged one and that's been 'interesting'!

Balance is actually the major priority of the subconscious brain during the swing. The other main one is avoiding pain, which has caused my swing to become even more old-man-ish as my weight shift/follow through was seriously 'restricted'.

It's balance that causes the over-the-top fault and almost every fault to become apparent. The only 'fixed' point are the feet and it's the muscles that control everything else. S&T would probably simplify that activity, but it's not for me - and, I believe, would have put even more pressure on my ankle.

So improving your balance will definitely improve your golf swing imo!

PS. hat comment by your pro on your 'thrash' swing was probably because he saw a reverse pivot, which can be another consequence of trying to hit it harder. I've had my 'hit it harder' swing measured during a fitting and was lower than my controlled one! I just heave my upper body more! Ball goes much shorter! I'd encourage kids to hit the ball as hard as poss though. Much easier to acquire control than to acquire swing speed!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The other main one is avoiding pain, which has caused my swing to become even more old-man-ish

Surely just being OLD has caused it? :whistle: I think you've got it the wrong way round, it's the old bit that causes the pain ;)

Craphacker does have a tendency to '½ reverse pivot' as he shifts into his right side whilst trying to keep his head over the ball... but from there he generally gets through the ball, a full blown RP would be falling back off the shot too with weight all moving in the wrong direction.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Surely just being OLD has caused it? :whistle: I think you've got it the wrong way round, it's the old bit that causes the pain ;)
Maybe in you case.

I've kept my joints well lubricated. :mmm: It's the muscles/tendons that are my problem. Oh and Neck and L2-4! :rolleyes:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hitting the ball with your feet together is a great way of feeling good balance in the swing, it's surprising how far you can hit the ball like this as well. I have also tried hitting the ball standing on the left leg with the right hanging behind on the toes, again it is possible to make some great ball contact like this.

I would suggest that good balance in the swing is a great contributor to making consistent good contact with the ball and a reflection of good swing mechanics.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Hitting the ball with your feet together is a great way of feeling good balance in the swing, it's surprising how far you can hit the ball like this as well. I have also tried hitting the ball standing on the left leg with the right hanging behind on the toes, again it is possible to make some great ball contact like this.

I would suggest that good balance in the swing is a great contributor to making consistent good contact with the ball and a reflection of good swing mechanics.

What major did you win? :whistle: Let's see your qualifications fella!! :ears: LOLOLOLOLOL

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Craphacker does have a tendency to '½ reverse pivot' as he shifts into his right side whilst trying to keep his head over the ball... but from there he generally gets through the ball, a full blown RP would be falling back off the shot too with weight all moving in the wrong direction.

So you're saying I can't even RP properly.

I've got no hope then.

Btw I was talking about balance AFTER hitting the damn thing, not on the backswing or anything. I mean , once the ball's in the air, what does it matter?

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The only problem is that he was pretty consistent in his wanderings. I'll go forwards one shot, sideways the next, A over T the next...

Oh, and he had a tad more talent than me.

Just a tad, mind you.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What major did you win? :whistle: Let's see your qualifications fella!! :ears: LOLOLOLOLOL

I have already posted them on this site if you want to look it up. If you think I am not qualified to give an opinon then just tell me what was wrong with my comments rather than attempting to discredit them without qualification.

Would you prefer me to run my posts past you first so that you can varify the content is up to your own unquestionable standard, or should we all just sit back and leave it to you.

OH!! I had better put in a few Smileys to make it look as if I may be joking: :) ;) :confused: :whistle::mmm:

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I have already posted them on this site if you want to look it up. If you think I am not qualified to give an opinon then just tell me what was wrong with my comments rather than attempting to discredit them without qualification.

Would you prefer me to run my posts past you first so that you can varify the content is up to your own unquestionable standard, or should we all just sit back and leave it to you.

OH!! I had better put in a few Smileys to make it look as if I may be joking: :) ;) :confused: :whistle::mmm:

My comment was 100% purely tongue in cheek based on the never ending amounts of times I post and some pratt chips in with "You're not a pro" or words to that effect (it's as if they think a PGA qualification actually teaches anything about the swing!!!)

To make it clear........ for you Socky I have NO ISSUE whatsoever with your posts. Quite the contrary actually I enjoy reading your posts as they are well informed, well written and question the 'norm' where appropriate.

Sorry for the mis-understanding :thup:

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My comment was 100% purely tongue in cheek based on the never ending amounts of times I post and some pratt chips in with "You're not a pro" or words to that effect (it's as if they think a PGA qualification actually teaches anything about the swing!!!)

To make it clear........ for you Socky I have NO ISSUE whatsoever with your posts. Quite the contrary actually I enjoy reading your posts as they are well informed, well written and question the 'norm' where appropriate.

Whats the latest on the weather this week JO?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Thank's for the explanation James. Guess my sense of humour meter needs recalibrating. :mad:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Didn't Gary Player used to chase after the ball after he'd hit it? It won him plenty of majors.

Probably so he could get there first and make sure he had a good lie (allegedly). :eek:oo:

His 'walk through the swing' style was certainly effective - for someone of his stature.

@JO. I told you you were mis-understood! :D Try to be less negative! :mmm:

Last edited:

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Probably so he could get there first and make sure he had a good lie (allegedly). :eek:oo:

His 'walk through the swing' style was certainly effective - for someone of his stature.

@JO. I told you you were mis-understood! :D Try to be less negative! :mmm:

Still not sure we're talking about ME yet.