how important is a view to you on a golf course?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Quite a few comments on the links tread about views and how many judge a course by its view or lack of it, esp Links courses.

personally i would always go for course condition, design. In fact i would say a view makes no difference to me what so ever, 3 of my fave courses have precisely no view at all, Western Gailes, Muirfield and Carnoustie.

so would no view spoil your enjoyment of a course?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not in the slightest. But I'm very much not a sight-seeing, 'appreciate the scenery' type of person. Even when on holiday, let alone when I'm playing golf.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
a view as in an unspoilt vista, not that important. It's always nice but I'd prefer the course be good.

But when I'm playing a parkland for instance, if it's well manicured, with blooming flowers and just generally pleasing on the eye, it does add a lot to the experience, if nothing else it makes me feel calm

D

Deleted Member 1156

Royal Lytham is one of my all time favourite courses. Nuff said............

D

Deleted member 21258

For me it definitely can make a difference.

I think a view of trees, terrain, hills or big sand dunes or an impressive castle etc can enhance a golf experience for sure. I certainly do not like playing a course that is a flat field, with no views and just holes cut out of the rough ?

I play golf for exercise, enjoyment, fun and to me it is to be experienced visually, mentally and physically.

PS Only just played RL and loved the course thought it was great and didn't think there was no views, some of the views were due to terrain and make up of the holes, some of the amazing clubhouse/dormy. Just goes to show one mans view is anothers no view.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
One of the reasons I chose to play at my home course was for the fantastic views and definitely haven't regretted it. So I would say aesthetics are pretty important to me as a golfer. Watching a good shot framed against an awesome back drop is definitely adds a lot to my enjoyment of a round.

Having played Muirfield and a few other links courses this year, I've come away thinking If I could only play one of these top links for the rest of my life, or my humble home track the latter wins hands down.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
One of the reasons I chose to play at my home course was for the fantastic views and definitely haven't regretted it. So I would say aesthetics are pretty important to me as a golfer. Watching a good shot framed against an awesome back drop is definitely adds a lot to my enjoyment of a round.

Having played Muirfield and a few other links courses this year, I've come away thinking If I could only play one of these top links for the rest of my life, or my humble home track the latter wins hands down.

Aesthetics was the word I was looking for, thank you.

Yes views not necessarily but an aesthetically pleasing course is important

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It wouldn't be more important to have good view over a good course but I do really enjoy a course that have a great vista

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Whilst a fantastic view is a nice to have you will, after a while rarely even notice it. I used to be a member of Cleveland Golf Club, near Middlesbrough. The view that dominates the eye for half the round is of a huge blast furnace, coke ovens and shunting yards. Although many visitors have been heard to say "what an ugly view, how do you put up with it," you just don't even see it after a while.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Love a location and a view. It's a huge part of the experience for me. Didn't enjoy Carnoustie as much as I liked Trump or Western Gailes for example. Not dismissing Carnoustie as a course but not as enjoyable for me as others.

Patrick, I think you may be that accustomed to the stunning location and views of Nairn that you take it for granted.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
All of my favourite courses have had glorious views, Sheringham, Bamburgh, Palmares, Il aux Cerf, and another in Mauritius.
Thought that's links courses were boring with a capital B, then I played Carne and Enniscrone in Ireland. I am hooked. I have played St Andrews and Hunstanton and though the conditions were excellent, they just did not tick my boxes. Don't think there has to be a trade off between views and course condition but cannot think of anything better than playing a beautiful course with beautiful views.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
For me it definitely can make a difference.

I think a view of trees, terrain, hills or big sand dunes or an impressive castle etc can enhance a golf experience for sure. I certainly do not like playing a course that is a flat field, with no views and just holes cut out of the rough ?

I play golf for exercise, enjoyment, fun and to me it is to be experienced visually, mentally and physically.

PS Only just played RL and loved the course thought it was great and didn't think there was no views, some of the views were due to terrain and make up of the holes, some of the amazing clubhouse/dormy. Just goes to show one mans view is anothers no view.
but you can go and stand in a car park and look at views for free and as for Castles, i doubt there is a single top 100 course you can see a castle from the course in the UK... none i can think of anyway

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Love a location and a view. It's a huge part of the experience for me. Didn't enjoy Carnoustie as much as I liked Trump or Western Gailes for example. Not dismissing Carnoustie as a course but not as enjoyable for me as others.

Patrick, I think you may be that accustomed to the stunning location and views of Nairn that you take it for granted.
according to some of the numptys on here there are no views at Nairn;)

D

Deleted member 21258

but you can go and stand in a car park and look at views for free and as for Castles, i doubt there is a single top 100 course you can see a castle from the course in the UK... none i can think of anyway

Royal St Daves there is a wonderful castle overlooking the course, along with mountains and hills and big dunes and being honest most of it is not in play and only views. You need to come play it, some people don't rank it overally like Nairn but I think RSD is brilliant!! :) (gosh I need more smilies!)

I don't have enough time in my life to play golf and stand in car parks(ha ha your funny partricks148), so would rather pick golf courses with views, which to be honest most have, a win win situation.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Further to my other post, it got me thinking about Augusta National

No views in the traditional sense, but the course is so beautifully presented it becomes a view in itself

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I spend about 4 hours ish on the golf course, and of this, less than 30 minutes is playing golf. There is some talking rubbish, and some walking, but it is nice to have something to look at too. Golf course architecture and condition can only keep me entertained for so long.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
maybe its where i live, i only have to walk a couple of hundred yards up the road to be able to see Loch Ness and the hills surrounding it and Ben Wyvis the other direction. but for me a view means nothing.
people rave about Pitlochry and Stathpeffer golf courses for the views.... great views, but IMO sheer hite courses;)