How important are bar staff to your Club?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A few years’ ago we had a lady member of the bar staff, mid 40’s bubbly, took time to get to know everyone, husband played off 4, son aged 17 now plays off +1, real asset to our Club.

Fast forward 3 years, different House Manager, young staff, probably minimum wage earners, see same golfers weekly, not even ”how are you”? Not really interested.
They are an important part of the Club Being front lin ebullient some do not have the necessary social skills.

Any thoughts and how to improve because for visitors they are an early point of contac.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
To my mind, it needs to be run very much like a local pub in that you have the same people in every week and they should be known amongst the staff. The difference for me has always been having someone running front of house. Someone who has the personality and the time to ensure that everyone is being looked after and feels like they are getting the service in the same way that the best pubs I know are ones where the landlord or landlady can focus on the service element and ensuring that everyone is being looked after rather than having to do it all themselves or leave the staff to it and not be present.

I would also look at the barstaff. How much does a young person on minimum wage behind a bar have in common with golf club members or even know about golf and golf clubs. Recruit older bar staff or look at personality above the simple ability to pull a pint and being cheap.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club's bar has been shut for 18 months. Back when it was open it was an outsourced catering company I believe, but the staff got on well with the members and regular visitors.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Ours are excellent. Mainly kids of members doing part time work before going on to better things, like University. (No, it's not, and never will be 'Uni'). There are a few full time, and they are excellent too.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Age of the bar staff is not relevant imo. It's about the culture set out by the management, the tone they set and expect. I played today, away, and the 4 of us all expressed how disappointing ours are in terms of a welcome etc., a coincidental chat. Very much in the tone of the op.

Good, friendly staff make all the difference.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Or often over-qualified youngsters who are really just trying to earn a crust in a temporary job that they have no real investment in. Can't really blame them to be honest.
I don't know - if youngsters have a brain, they are smart enough to know that having a quick chat with punters is an easy way to make their working environment better. At our place, we have some good guys who know how to chat, but we also have some that act like you're an inconvenience by asking for a beer. Both young and old, both good and bad.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Got an excellent steward. Knows members drinks, knows the names and genuinely interacts. Great front of house. His assistant is very good too and then we have a couple of casual bar staff that serve, take the cash and barely say a word

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree they are very important we are lucky to have a very good long standing steward who is good to work for hence the staff have been consistent.

Siolag

Visit site
I find the ones at mine very good, always ask how I am and genuinely seem interested (they know when my fiancée and I have been away). I chat to them too though, which is half of it. Some of the members don’t care for some of the longer serving staff, but I’ve seen them being very rude to them.