How high is too high

HPIMG

Visit site
I have been thinking for a while now I might be hitting my irons too high. I am planning to go to the range tomorrow just to see the numbers. Is there some sort of chart I can look at for what all my irons should be launching at and also what would be considered a high launch number and a low launch number ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Isn't it just a matter of preference? For example, let's say you can bring the flight lower, the ball might travel further, but with less height potentially be more difficult to stop on a green. So it's whatever works for you?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have been thinking for a while now I might be hitting my irons too high. I am planning to go to the range tomorrow just to see the numbers. Is there some sort of chart I can look at for what all my irons should be launching at and also what would be considered a high launch number and a low launch number ?
I don't think hight itself is a problem. Plenty of the young guys at my club hit the ball into orbit, but it's going miles. Spin will make more difference I'd imagine. Go see a pro with a trackman and see what's going on

Springveldt

Visit site
If you get on a trackman it will give you an "optimum" window for each shot and you can compare against that as their is more to it than just height.

I think most tour pro's launch their irons at half the loft. e.g. if their PW is 48° then they will typically launch it around 24° while a hack like me is launching a 31° 7 iron at 20° on a good day and 25° on a bad day.

Here is an old Trackman post (from 2014 I think) of the PGA Tour averages at the time.

pgatourstats.png

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you get on a trackman it will give you an "optimum" window for each shot and you can compare against that as their is more to it than just height.

I think most tour pro's launch their irons at half the loft. e.g. if their PW is 48° then they will typically launch it around 24° while a hack like me is launching a 31° 7 iron at 20° on a good day and 25° on a bad day.

Here is an old Trackman post (from 2014 I think) of the PGA Tour averages at the time.

pgatourstats.png
Is there a similar chart with LPGA averages? I suspect that would be more comparable to what the average forum members hits (despite what they may think ;) )

sjw

Visit site

pgatourstats.png

I know this is old data, but the height on the drives doesn't sound that high compared to the tracer lines you see on TV! I always watch the likes of Rory (who I know likes a high ball flight) in awe as they're smashing them off the planet. I've often wondered if it looks heightened on the TV as the camera tends to be from a lower angle.

Jason.H

Visit site
I’ve played lots of scratch team matches. Some hit it low and some hit it really high. It’s fine if you hit a high ball but it maybe beneficial to practice hitting low shots for windy days.

sunshine

Visit site
I know this is old data, but the height on the drives doesn't sound that high compared to the tracer lines you see on TV! I always watch the likes of Rory (who I know likes a high ball flight) in awe as they're smashing them off the planet. I've often wondered if it looks heightened on the TV as the camera tends to be from a lower angle.

The tracer lines on TV typically show peak height of around 100 feet, so aligned with the trackman data shared by Springveldt

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Try an AVX ball

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Bosh, in that case custom fit for the most expensive irons in the shop and ask for the extra thick shine protection (like diamond bright fit cars)

👌
Love it! I was actually right with AVX balls though. I struggle with anything that is not a Pro V or AVX. AVX kept my spin rates at comfortable levels and brought a high flight down for me. Since having lessons under a new coach I’m contemplating going back to pro v as my flight is potentially getting too low now.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Or a lesson to improve your technique

I have the exact same issue as the OP, something noticed by my coach in my lesson last week. Simply moved the ball back in my stance a little and added about 8 yards to my 7 iron with the exact same swing. With some other tweaks, that went up to a total of about 15 yards.

CountLippe

Visit site
When I got fitted, I was told that it was the descent angle rather than launch which is important. The trackman charts above seems to back this up, they're very similar once you get past driver and 3 wood.

HPIMG

Visit site
I never ended up going to the range to see how high I was launching the ball but am going for a lesson tomorrow. It’s a pro I’ve had some lessons from before a while ago and he does everything by eye no tacking device but wanted to ask a pro will know right away even by eye if I am hitting my irons too high ?

Jason.H

Visit site
Try an AVX ball
I’ve tried AVX and also Pro V1X. Both lowest and highest flights in the Titleist range. To be honest i consider myself a decent, consistent ball striker but hardly notice much of a difference between the 2 balls other than the AVX has a very soft feel.
No doubt pro golfers would notice but ball fitting for average golfers ...

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve tried AVX and also Pro V1X. Both lowest and highest flights in the Titleist range. To be honest i consider myself a decent, consistent ball striker but hardly notice much of a difference between the 2 balls other than the AVX has a very soft feel.
No doubt pro golfers would notice but ball fitting for average golfers ...
Given that you strike the ball well, maybe mess around with tee height.

Jason.H

Visit site
Given that you strike the ball well, maybe mess around with tee height.
Yes I get that. The fact that the 2 balls I mentioned are meant to fly low and high without having to make set up changes, just a character of the ball. Wonder if others that have used them can tell much of a difference?