How high is too high

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Yes I get that. The fact that the 2 balls I mentioned are meant to fly low and high without having to make set up changes, just a character of the ball. Wonder if others that have used them can tell much of a difference?
Nope not really. I’m an AVX man and I hit the 1x just the same. There was a time when the AVX travelled further and straighter but lessons appear to have neutralised that. I still can’t get away with other brands though, other than an AD333 in the winter but even then I’m thinking grade A AVX lake balls might be the way to go.

Jason.H

Visit site
Nope not really. I’m an AVX man and I hit the 1x just the same. There was a time when the AVX travelled further and straighter but lessons appear to have neutralised that. I still can’t get away with other brands though, other than an AD333 in the winter but even then I’m thinking grade A AVX lake balls might be the way to go.
Yes the AVX I’ve used a couple of dozen. Shame they are priced so high. I’m using pro V1X and Bridgestone B RX at the moment. I really should just stick to one ball for consistency 😂🤣

HPIMG

Visit site
I went to the range this morning my 7 iron launches on average 27 degrees so that’s way too high isn’t it ? On my lesson the other week pro did say they were high and trying to get lower ball flight made me start to shank the ball so just went back to the high ones. Bit lost now as I’m scared of trying to lower ball flight and shanking it. Could anyone recommend any good YouTube videos on this , I tent to try and not watch and game tip videos.

Big85

Visit site
I went to the range this morning my 7 iron launches on average 27 degrees so that’s way too high isn’t it ? On my lesson the other week pro did say they were high and trying to get lower ball flight made me start to shank the ball so just went back to the high ones. Bit lost now as I’m scared of trying to lower ball flight and shanking it. Could anyone recommend any good YouTube videos on this , I tent to try and not watch and game tip videos.
Can you not book in for a lesson?

Jason.H

Visit site
Yesterday I tried a Taylormade TP5X for a change. The ball flight was consistently higher than normal with my 3 wood which I hit off a lot of tees and a few fairways. Fine on a non windy day.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Other than saying it was high, did he say it was a problem?

Springveldt

Visit site
I'd say yes, 27º is too high for a 7 iron, that's more than most pitching wedges that tour pro's hit. I'd guess you are shanking it since you are now trying to get your hands more forward at impact but still leaving the face open (that's what happened to me anyway) but it's probably something you need to talk to your pro that is giving you lessons.

What helped me bring the flight down was feeling like I was swinging like Tommy Fleetwood, down and to the left. It worked for me because I was coming in shallow and from the inside so that feeling just neutralised me a bit but obviously this won't work for everyone, it aligned nicely with my swing path at the time. In true golf fashion I've now overdone it and I'm now far too steep based on the divots I'm gouging out of the earth and will need to work on coming in more from the inside and shallower again.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Yes, 27 degrees sounds to high, but depending a bit on your swing speed.

Lowering your ball flight will mean finding a way to increase shaft lean. Its not normally something someone with a paragraph on a forum can/should answer.

I'd go back to your data and check what the land angle is, its more important than how high you hit it. Anything over 45degrees I'd do something about. Similarly anything less than about 37 degree....

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd say yes, 27º is too high for a 7 iron, that's more than most pitching wedges that tour pro's hit. I'd guess you are shanking it since you are now trying to get your hands more forward at impact but still leaving the face open (that's what happened to me anyway) but it's probably something you need to talk to your pro that is giving you lessons.

What helped me bring the flight down was feeling like I was swinging like Tommy Fleetwood, down and to the left. It worked for me because I was coming in shallow and from the inside so that feeling just neutralised me a bit but obviously this won't work for everyone, it aligned nicely with my swing path at the time. In true golf fashion I've now overdone it and I'm now far too steep based on the divots I'm gouging out of the earth and will need to work on coming in more from the inside and shallower again.

This is exactly the feel I have at the minute. Sawn off follow-through. Ball flight is lower, seems less effort, and the ball goes just as far, if not further....probably as the launch dynamics are much improved

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
It will more than likely be high, short and a very high spin rate as well. Totally useless into any sort of wind.

Well he didn't share any kind of distance stats so I assume he's not unhappy with what he's getting there?

One data factor alone isn't much use IMO.

Springveldt

Visit site
Well he didn't share any kind of distance stats so I assume he's not unhappy with what he's getting there?

One data factor alone isn't much use IMO.
Maybe not but launching a 7 iron at 27º means that it's a weak, scoopy shot with probably next to zero shaft lean. It's just far too much loft being presented at impact, the smash factor will be really, really low. Depending on the loft of the 7 iron the launch should be between 16º and 19º for a well struck shot, he's launching his 7 iron like it's a 50 degree wedge.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure where you are getting your figures form but this article states that the average amateur should have a launch angle of about 22* with a 7 iron, so the OP isn't a million miles off 'normal'

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Depends on loads of things, 27 might be perfect if its slow swing speed, itd be a nightmare if your swing at 90mph.

Which is why land angle is useful, if its about 40 to 45 then your in some kind of control. Pga are all about 50 as the greens are a nightmare and stopping power is more important than distance....similarly launching at 50% of loft is ideal of youve got a consistent strike at 90mph on the third groove up. Which means it applies to nearly nobody...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure where you are getting your figures form but this article states that the average amateur should have a launch angle of about 22* with a 7 iron, so the OP isn't a million miles off 'normal'
No it doesn't... it says 'most average golfers will fall somewhere around the 22-degree mark'. It doesn't say that's the goal.

HPIMG

Visit site
Other than saying it was high, did he say it was a problem?
Not really said my swing was pretty good and just he wanted more shaft lean and it all went downhill fast when I did the shaft lean and tried really hitting down. So second part of the lesson was to stop the shanks lol went with one problem and left with two.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Not really said my swing was pretty good and just he wanted more shaft lean and it all went downhill fast when I did the shaft lean and tried really hitting down. So second part of the lesson was to stop the shanks lol went with one problem and left with two.

Well kind of, fix the shank and you may have it cracked.