How good are A Grade Golf Balls?

Fabia999

Visit site
Hey all,

I am looking to try out some lake balls. The standard of the ones I’ve found are A grade, which I understand isn’t the highest. How much difference can you tell with an A grade ball in comparison to pearl or new?
Cheers

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I usually by Pearl,but have bought A grade in the past and they’ve been good enough.
Just the odd pen mark or scuff.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
To me, A Grade are the 'best value' - at least from the major sellers of lake balls.
No scuffs etc, but pen marks etc that don't affect play.
I'm still happy to pay the 'premium' of 'Pearls' where necessary though - as that's still a significant reduction on brand new costs!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just had a delivery of mixed Pearl and A. Pearl are noticeably better, they are quite close to new although definitely not new. A look as though they have been used for 4-5 holes, have a pen mark, maybe the odd scuff.

In my experience, I play mostly with lake balls, an A ball will last a full round but at the end you would not use it again, it's time is up. A Pearl will give you a round and a half, maybe 2 rounds. This is all irrelevant if you lose them mid round of course ?.

In essence, A are perfectly serviceable, particularly as a ball in winter.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It has been many years since I bought lake balls but I found it very important to read the sellers grading as they had different systems, Grade A with one but have been A- with a another.

I used to use one seller whose grade As were as good as new.