How far do you hit your PW?

Visit site
No wonder them lofts are strong, if they were the 'normal' type of lofts (ie 38° 8i) you'd be hitting the ball to the moon with the design of the club head. Not only that, but no 3/4/5i, not surprised.

Who cares how far you hit it, it's how many you can go round in. I much prefer and get greater satisfaction in hitting little half shots in low with spin, control and see it stop quickly then launching a full shot and tearing my biceps getting it there, leave that to the pumping gym brigade.

glynntaylor

Head Pro
Visit site
Being following this closely... my 2pence worth is..I’ve lost a club in my T100s from my Ping G400s.... reasoning the lofts are weaker.... traditional lofts. I’m trying not to let it effect me but when I see people pull a 7i for 150y and I’m needing a 6i it does hurt but then I remind them that my 6i is the equivalent to there 7i.... now if it did have the loft on the bottom we would be pulling out the same club wouldn’t we?? ??.
I’m with Nick.... lofts on clubs not a 2-9 number. I’ve stressed this to my pro today when chatting about these new T400. Also explains why they’ve released T100s line with stronger lofts. Consumers look at the number not the loft! It needs to change.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Sometimes I look at the yardage on a hole, and it reads a certain club, then I stand on the tee and look at the the shot, and my intuition says something else.

My intuition is usually correct.

I prefer to hit it with an easier swing and try and control/shape the shot, rather than just trying to wring the maximum yardage out of a club.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My PW was always around 105, it was my stock indicator that my swing was normal (for me).

Following a recent lesson prior to my comeback and just working on a better impact it went up to 120 ?.

No gr eat change just making me more efficient.
Saves a lot of money on new clubs ?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'm in full agreement that the lofts should be on the bottom of the club and not the number. It's done on pretty much every other club so why not the irons as well. That way the true loft of the club isn't being hidden behind smoke and mirrors. In reality, the PW nowadays isn't the PW it was years ago which means you have to get more wedges for the shorter distances after the PW length.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'd be very surprised if the majority of amateur players hit their Pw the same height as a 4iron. I dont even think it's close.

Quite possibly true Gary, but I did say assuming a good strike!

In any event, if the player can't get a traditionally lofted 4 iron the same height as their PW then they'll have exactly the same problem trying to hit their T400 7 iron the same height as their T400 "W2". (The T400 doesn't even have a 4 iron but starts at the 6 iron with 23 degrees of loft, more akin to a traditional 3 iron)

D

Deleted member 15344

What does the rules , etiquette etc say about lofts and numbers of the clubs ?

How many courses are actually now “redundant” because the ball goes further ? Ours is a short course and it’s certainly not being made redundant because of technology advancing

Course being made “obsolete” because the ball apparently goes further is nothing but scaremongering at the end of the day because no course has suffered because people hit the ball further

GI clubs help people play the game - without them then imo people would give up the game getting frustrated playing with blades - and people don’t have time or the inclination to practise. The biggest selling clubs are GI clubs - even pros use them

The world moves on , technology moves on and it gets used more in sport

Golf is still bloody hard regardless of what clubs people use

Thankfully there are many choices out there for how peolle play the game and I can’t understand how or why someone would want to restrict that choice

D

Deleted member 1147

Quite possibly true Gary, but I did say assuming a good strike!

In any event, if the player can't get a traditionally lofted 4 iron the same height as their PW then they'll have exactly the same problem trying to hit their T400 7 iron the same height as their T400 "W2". (The T400 doesn't even have a 4 iron but starts at the 6 iron with 23 degrees of loft, more akin to a traditional 3 iron)

A 6 iron length shaft with a low loft and an easy to get in the air head makes perfect sense.

The T400's are for people who struggle with long irons, the aim is for them to use hybrids instead.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
My PW is 44*, carry it between 130 and 135 depending on conditions. A 38* PW seems ludicrous, a degree less lofted than my 9 and my Nike's are fairly strongly lofted, just feels like it'd be a pain to sort out the gapping and an excuse to sell more Vokey wedges.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My shot and club selection are determined by much more than distance...so I'll sometimes find myself hitting such as a gentle fading 3i Hybrid when others are lashing a 6i to the green from the same place...just how I see things - the others can get on with their games - none of my business :)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I hit my mates super game improver callaway big Bertha irons.

Without doubt these things are easy to hit and scream into the air.

It isn't just strong lofts that make these clubs work.

D

Deleted member 1147

How far do you hit them; did they just balloon up in the air if you give them too much swing speed?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How far do you hit them; did they just balloon up in the air if you give them too much swing speed?

It was just a couple random 6irons I hit down a par 5. They took off like rockets and tbh they probably weren't even the best of strikes. Wouldn't say they ballooned.

Theres no danger of me giving it too much swing speed. Lol

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
120 yards in the summer, closer to 100 yards this time of year!

Are the manufacturers just trying to flatter golfers into thinking that they are gaining distance - when all they are really doing is changing the number on the bottom of the club??

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
120 yards in the summer, closer to 100 yards this time of year!

Are the manufacturers just trying to flatter golfers into thinking that they are gaining distance - when all they are really doing is changing the number on the bottom of the club??

Or boosting a player's 'boast quotient' ;)

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Indeed. But they work too well in my experience.

As another poster noted above his average was 134 - which consisted of a 113, 140 and 150. If you can't judge dispersion front to back it is every bit as destructive as side to side, possibly even more so. These GI hot faces launch the ball effectively, but you can get a jumper that's gone over the back too easily imo.

I carried a half set this weekend and found myself hitting a full gap wedge cos I didn't have a PW or 9i (stupid I know). It felt wrong. I could probably get 115 out of my PW but never hit it further than 100. If I have 115 to go I'll take 9i, also with a 3/4 controlled swing, which I know won't go more than 5 yards more or less than that number. Tiger says you're never going to be in too much trouble as long as you stay pin high. He knows a thing or two...