How do you measure progress?

D

Deleted member 16999

Can't think why you made it onto the ignore list.
They're great it's like being back in infant school. I'll put you on mine for a few hours so I feel all powerful and self righteous. :rofl:

puttmore89

Hacker
Visit site
Looked like an interesting thread, I thought I would read the comments above on this page to see how others "measure progress". Seems as though the focus has shifted a little! May have been said previous but I am sure a lot measure their progress on all sorts of things, fairways found, number of putts, GIR's and obviously the lowering of a handicap. From someone who actively plays but doesn't have a current handicap my measurement is based upon winning, I play mostly stableford and play to the handicap our fourball gives itself. It seems over the last couple of years a very complex algorithm has been formed between us to determine who should play off what for that day :) but steadily the average number of shots stolen from a scratch has decreased and my win % is still healthy... In my mind I am winning! This coming season when I take things a bit more seriously and obtain an official handicap I am sure my measurement of progress will be a lot more structured.. Good or bad only time will tell :) Great post OP

D

Deleted Member 1156

The problem I find with stats is one day you drive like God and putt like a plonker, the next day you miss every fairway and green but single putt from all over the place hence my comment that the only stat that matters is the score you sign for which ultimately determines your handicap. I know that my driving, iron play and putting are all decent and my short game is very poor, I don't need to record stats to know that. I also know that my handicap is 4.5 and if I improve my short game that figure will come down.

Visit site
Here are a few tips that will put you on the right track.
Find a coach who you feel comfortable with and take a few lessons over a season, once a fortnight is perfect. Combine the lesson with long and short game.
Practice what he's told you and every couple of weeks you go see him, he will tell you if your on the right track.
Spend 70 percent of your time around thee green from 50 yards and in, hitting all kind of short shots. It will help you get a feeling for the game and also improve your score and just remind yourself you are paying golf to enjoy it.
Things what you shouldn't do, which are so important in the first few years.
! don't stand on the range with driver in the hand hitting loads of balls,it will ruin your rhythm and its a club your only going to use 14 times a round at most.
don't take in every bit of info your playing partners tell you about how the golf swing works,leave that to your Pro
don't believe advertising where they tell you the latest 400 pounds driver is going to give you an extra 30 yards.
don't get angry or frustrated on the golf course if you hit some bad shots, there are 25 million other golfers who cant play perfect golf.
Enjoy it

puttmore89

Hacker
Visit site
The problem I find with stats is one day you drive like God and putt like a plonker, the next day you miss every fairway and green but single putt from all over the place hence my comment that the only stat that matters is the score you sign for which ultimately determines your handicap. I know that my driving, iron play and putting are all decent and my short game is very poor, I don't need to record stats to know that. I also know that my handicap is 4.5 and if I improve my short game that figure will come down.

Can't argue with that. I think a great way to measure is to look at strokes played on the same course over a range of time. If you play 15 rounds and average 85 shots then another 15 rounds and you average 84 shots. Regardless of ups / downs with the putter or good / bad days with the driver your mean score is getting lower i.e. you are progressing as a player.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I got rid of Game Golf and then improved my game. I found tagging became a nuisance and that what I'd hit, where I'd hit it, wasn't as important as how I really played- did I escape from trouble and put myself truly back in play, did I play ok in poor conditions, did I concentrate more on a good stroke or was I just looking for the longest hits to satisfy the computer? I found a better game when I wasn't looking solely at stats.

I think, like other posters, that handicap is the measure of whether you're improving but you do get a feeling, leading up to a cut, that maybe you've reached another level

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi Dasit, just checking to see if you were thinking of selling on your game golf or not. Only re-asking in case you didn't see my previous comment

Hi Lewis, think I shall give it another chance. You can buy it new for roughly 150 which I think is a great price compared to what so paid last year

D

Deleted member 16999

Difference being Gordon you're a Cat 1 Golfer who has a decent all round game and know your weakness's, obviously the score you sign for is undoubtebly all that matters at the end of the day, but the journey to get there can be smartened up, ie for me off 13, I need to improve my approach to the green and chipping, if I don't focus on that more than other areas I'll stand still, so for me my practise is 80% focussed on weak areas and 20% on stronger, as I hopefully come down and become more consistent the focus should change.
How many beginners do you see concentrating on hitting Drive after Drive on the range, I'm sure their handicap will come down, but maybe not as quick as it could do with structured practise, whether that's via a Pro or Gadgets or both.

D

Deleted member 15344

Exactly that - for me my long iron game is what I struggle with at times but I don't need stats to show that and for me the only thing that shows me how I am progressing or how well I'm playing is the Gross score - that then determines my Handicap - that's the marker for my ability and ultimately is the one figure that will give you the picture on how you are improving

The score is all that matters - or gir, fir , putts per round , driving accuracy - it's all meaningless for me if the Gross score doesn't improve

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Admit I am a strong advocate of Game Golf, not just for helping my game but also for record keeping which I wouldn't do otherwise.

Accept its not for everyone but once you get in the groove of tagging before a shot its easy. To be honest I sometimes forget, but the auto detect feature means when I edit the round (which I find an interesting exercise anyway, assessing what I can do better etc.) all I need do is remember what club I hit.

Yes, putting measurement isn't that great on GG (but you don't need GPS to assess your putting standard or help with distances) - the strokes gained is not infallible (but can give useful pointers comparing with similar or lower handicappers), but overall I have found GG a huge help in improving my iron play in particular. It has also identified gaps and overlaps in my bag.

I disagree with those that say you need to factor in slope, wind etc when assessing average club distance.....as if you have enough GG data then you have effectively done that already. I want to see stats based on actually playing the course as I am not convinced hitting off a nice flat range mat with a launch monitor gives you a more accurate view.......grass and lie make a difference. I know that I hit slightly shorter, on average than I thought, which prompted me to try some new irons, and I know the gaps between clubs. I also discount best (and worst) but it also constantly evolves. I switched irons late last year and have had lessons....GG captures the effects without going back and having to repeat launch monitor sessions which use a limited number of shots and might be on a day when you are swinging well (or poorly) making data less useful.

However, I accept that a launch monitor gives carry distance which is useful. For me though I have been able to assess carry distance using GG lately as recent rounds in soft conditions mean that for most iron shots (for me anyway) carry is very similar, if not equal, to total distance (based on my pitch marks!).

Each to their own and appreciate it isn't for everyone and some cannot cope with tagging, but if you are thinking about buying it I would recommend going ahead and trying it. The free ap using a phone gives you a fair idea of the potential without any outlay (albeit with the additional hassle of logging each shot on your phone).

I have the original version (not Live) and find that more than enough (I also use a GPS watch for distance estimation).

D

Deleted Member 1156

Difference being Gordon you're a Cat 1 Golfer who has a decent all round game and know your weakness's, obviously the score you sign for is undoubtebly all that matters at the end of the day, but the journey to get there can be smartened up, ie for me off 13, I need to improve my approach to the green and chipping, if I don't focus on that more than other areas I'll stand still, so for me my practise is 80% focussed on weak areas and 20% on stronger, as I hopefully come down and become more consistent the focus should change.
How many beginners do you see concentrating on hitting Drive after Drive on the range, I'm sure their handicap will come down, but maybe not as quick as it could do with structured practise, whether that's via a Pro or Gadgets or both.

I agree fully Paul but I'm sure you know which areas you need to work on without logging everything down?

D

Deleted member 16999

I agree fully Paul but I'm sure you know which areas you need to work on without logging everything down?
In all honesty, yes as my handicap comes down, initially I wasn't and like I'd posted previously the tagging thing takes less than a second and has no impact on me playing, but useful afterwards to track areas I'm focussing on over weeks, months or even on different courses, plus it's really nice to be able to look back at places like TOC and Trump and physically see every shot I played on screen,

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm quite the fan of stats as it gives me an honest appraisal of where I'm doing well or not: GIR, fairways hit, putts etc. which often differs from what I think I'm doing. This in turn gives me ideas of stuff to work on but it's only a fraction of the story - how well I apply all this gubbins and use it on the course to generate a score is the real story. Hcp is a decent of this, naturally, but not worth getting too hung up on for me at least as it's a bit distracting.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Beacause I simply wasn't well last year and got 0.1 back every time (more or less) thanks to a number of bad holes per round. In most cases I'd post 14-15 acceptable holes and undo the work with some huge scores. Getting back to rude health and being able to walk/concentrate properly for the full 18 this season should make a difference.

Serious question Homer....
Is it always the last 3 or 4 holes where it goes tits up?
If it is, I can understand the logic of the health being an issue.
But if the bad holes come early on, or in the middle of the round it doesn't make much sense.
I know if I start feeling a bit "monkey" during a round it's impossible to turn it around.
Just asking.