How do I make a training schedule please?

A

Alex1975

Hi all,

I would like to put together a training schedule to make sure that I am practicing the right things the right amount of time each week. I thought there would be a wealth of knowledge on the google but there is little to nothing.

I really don't know where to start to be honest. I can go through my week and identify where my free or leisure time is but once I have done that and committed to those time slots I don't know how to fill them?

I would greatly appreciate and help or advice and would also be interested if anyone else is using a plan?

Thanks a lot.

Alex.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My best advice after a summer a few years back of religiously practicing to the detriment of my game is speak to a pro. Get hime to check the basics in all aspects of your game which doesn't have to be a long session on each but just a 5 minute MOT to make sure you are doing everything reasonably proficiently. From there I guess its how much time you are prepared to spend given it'll dark by 5 soon, finding a balance between playing and practicing over the winter and working on the correct techniques and performing drills properly

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
what I did was break everything down into 1 hour or half hour sessions and then fit them into the time I had. Then I made sure everything I wanted/needed to practice made it into the schedule at least once and the most important things like distance wedges, putting, chipping I put in another one or even two sessions per week.

so my monday looks like this;

distance wedges: 1 hour
recovery shots: 1/2 hour
bunkers: 1/2 hour
putting: 1/2 hour
scrambling: 1hour

and tuesday:

Tee shots/long irons: 1 hour
Short irons: 1 hour
distance wedges: 1/2 hour
putting: 1/2 hour
scrambling: 1 hour

I also include things like par 3 round and 9 holes practice along with a few others others. If you don't have enough time to fit everything in that you want to practice then make it a 2 week cycle as I do when I am back at uni during the day.

Most important thing is to make it a plan that you can stick to and also include a couple of days when you don't practice at all.

A

Alex1975

Nice one guys,

Are we taking something like:

35% 120 yards in
25% putting and chipping
25% driving and long irons
15% bunkers and other

Or what do we think the balance is?

Homer I totally agree with what you are saying and I feel that I can cope with the over practice issue. This is really about making a commitment rather than telling myself I am making a commitment to practice with purpus.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not the easiest question and it's been along time since I studied sports science. I still have all the books and papers not sure I fancy digging them out.

You can almost think of it like a business plan, where am I know (Identifying strengths and weaknesses)? Where do I want to be (long term objectives? How do I get there (planning and choosing what to work on? Are we getting there (evaluation)?

Are you just looking at your game or fitness/flexbility issues etc:

Basically evaluate where you are or have someone do that for you (do a load of stats / tests). Identify where you need to improve and work on there, it's easy to practice what your good at as opposed to what your not so good at and may well need.

Be realistic about the time you have and devise a training program according to your goals / desires (try and concentrate on performance goals as opposed to result goals). Set your long term goals and figure your short term ones from here. Do some monitoring tests along the way. Put all that into a schedule, a proper one will have you peaking at certain times throughout the season (maybe 4) and you may maintain that peak for 5 weeks if you're lucky.

The tests might involve putting, chipping and pitching tasks such as those listed by Pelz or viewable on Gary Aliss's site. For mid long irons you might do simple G.I.R tests on your practice area. For Driving could do fairways hot over a certain distance % etc (can do this at the range if you select a 30? yard wide gap on the range to represent the fairway):

The quickest way to improve is usually to work on the short game, most people practice the long game.

T

thecraw

Try doing any of these plans while working shifts, having a wife like mine, two young kids and a dog!

On the positive side I'd soon be single, the negative is I'd lose most of my pension and I'd miss the kids!

Go play and enjoy.

BluenoseGolfer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Its good you're thinking about doing something like this, it will get the best out of practice and I could do with doing something similar.

But as I've never done one, I do however do regular revision time tables for Uni and I guess this would be the same.

DON"T be too optimistic in your planning, it never works out as easy as you think and it will be a lot harder to stick to, ending up frustrating you and various parts getting neglected or rushed. So be reasonable and spread it out and leave plenty of time for each!

DCB

Visit site
Lets assume that you get the ball off the tee okay and you can hit a mid iron reasonably well. If time is tight with work and family then the most obvious area that can and will give a quick return on your time is your short game and putting. Practice your 100yd in shots, your greenside bunker shots and your putting and I'll guarantee your handicap will drop quickly.

My most productive time practising was when my daughter was around 3-4yrs old. Too many family commitments so my practise had to be worthwhile. Working hard on my short game and putting got me good results and boosted confidence for the rest of my game.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
Nice one guys,

35% 120 yards in
25% putting and chipping
15% bunkers and other

yeah looks pretty good to me

I would also fit in a practice round once per fortnight where you play alone and don't keep score just work on different situations. Play two balls if the club allows and always play the worst drive to the hole. Drop a few in bunkers, long rough, under trees if no one is behind.

I would recommend reading Bob Rotella Golf of your Dreams and Dave Peltz short game bible has an excellent section on testing your short game handicap.

A

Alex1975

Nice one guys,

35% 120 yards in
25% putting and chipping
15% bunkers and other

yeah looks pretty good to me

I would also fit in a practice round once per fortnight where you play alone and don't keep score just work on different situations. Play two balls if the club allows and always play the worst drive to the hole. Drop a few in bunkers, long rough, under trees if no one is behind.

I would recommend reading Bob Rotella Golf of your Dreams and Dave Peltz short game bible has an excellent section on testing your short game handicap.

Ye I guess my "15% bunkers and other" other will be course skills aka 9 holes.

I do have a wife and new baby so its not that I will be doing loads, its just that I want what I do do to be worth while and productive.

A

Alex1975

you missed out "70% - trying out new shiny things" :)

That is a different hobby, thats a collection!! :D

Really though... when did I last buy a golf club?... WEEKS AGO!! :p