How cold is end March really?

Mickyc

Hacker
Visit site
Have a work trip planned to London for the week of 19 March and thinking of staying on the following weekend for a round or two in Aberdeen or St. Andrews. Played there in June last year and was fairly chilly so trying to get a sense for how cold it really gets there in March is it generally very windy and wet that time of the year?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If your question is about London

I was born there and have always lived in the South. My birthday is at the end of March and it takes more than the fingers on 2 hands to count the number of times it has snowed on my birthday.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't expect it to snow, will probz be around 7 or 8 degrees but I'd expect heavy showers.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hmm ok understood. Thanks. Will skip it I think and head back to sunny South Africa.
Why not play use the chance to play some English courses instead? March should be fine for lots of places. Was there a particular interest in St Andrews?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Whenever I plan anything in this country for March I always remember that you're more likely to have a white Easter than a white Xmas....
It can perishingly cold, it can extremely warm and it can be anywhere in-between...

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Every comment bar 2 is from someone who stays 5-600 miles away who have no clue what its like up here in March , its normally a decent time of year to play up here granted the courses are just coming out of there winter set ups , well worth it in my book , we played Machrihanish Dunes last March and the course was on elf the best conditioned i played all year.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH the last few years in Scotland March and April have seen the best weather. last year in particular the first 4 months of the year were the dryest, played at St Andrews mid April in short sleeves

Mickyc

Hacker
Visit site
Ok thanks for the relies all. I guess it’s purely luck of the draw then. As I said I found June last year fairly chilly but we had very little rain which is what scares me most in the cold.

Re London courses, I am keen to play some English courses (especially the open rota courses) but just thought this would be an easy way to replay some of the courses I did last June rather than plan around the unkown courses/travel etc (particularly as I would probably be on my own).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ok thanks for the relies all. I guess it’s purely luck of the draw then. As I said I found June last year fairly chilly but we had very little rain which is what scares me most in the cold.

Re London courses, I am keen to play some English courses (especially the open rota courses) but just thought this would be an easy way to replay some of the courses I did last June rather than plan around the unkown courses/travel etc (particularly as I would probably be on my own).

only thing i can add is if you thought June was cold at 15 deg, you might have shock in March :)

D

Deleted Member 1156

There are plenty of people on here that have good knowledge of courses, we are more than happy to help you plan a trip so feel free to ask :thup:

Mickyc

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks. Will def take you up on that sometime.

I do like the prospect of playing some of the great Scottish courses again at shoulder season rates. Can fly up to Edinburgh or Aberdeen on miles so really could be very cost effective to play the weekend. But come rain or snow those green fees will be wasted. Tough decision

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have a work trip planned to London for the week of 19 March and thinking of staying on the following weekend for a round or two in Aberdeen or St. Andrews. Played there in June last year and was fairly chilly so trying to get a sense for how cold it really gets there in March is it generally very windy and wet that time of the year?

Where are you travelling from? I guess it is further south than the UK.

Mickyc

Hacker
Visit site
Sunny Johannesburg. Getting a bit tired of playing my home course (Glendower) as it’s still in championship condition from the SA open and is killing my pot 21 handicap spirit!

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Every comment bar 2 is from someone who stays 5-600 miles away who have no clue what its like up here in March , its normally a decent time of year to play up here granted the courses are just coming out of there winter set ups , well worth it in my book , we played Machrihanish Dunes last March and the course was on elf the best conditioned i played all year.

Agreed. Too many silly replies to the original question. Should be decent enough weather, and on a links the ground should be good even if its raining. Come up and enjoy!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
March I've played golf in shirt sleeves and I've played in 4 layers. As Steve says it is usually "fairly" settled, links at that time of the year is coming out of its winter hibernation and the courses are running well and greens rolling well.

Like everyone else says, take your chances but pack a woolly hat, mitts and your waterproofs. Hip flask full of the finest Scotch whisky also warms the cockles! Central heating from the inside.