How can you lose a swing so easily????

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I would tend to agree with this. A couple of years ago I had a brilliant season, cut from 19 to 12 and was competitive in almost every comp I played. Had been having regular lessons but decided to stop for a period as I was improving and felt I had enough to work on. I then started to notice my draw getting more powerful and a pretty destructive hook appearing but I couldn't see any changes in set up, swing etc etc. I'd finally had enough after a particular stableford that resulted in 18 points and when to see my pro. He diagnosed the issue within 30 seconds, my grip had changed without my noticing. Right hand had got much stronger and was causing the issues. I have now got back to a more neutral grip and golf is better so I'd probably have a lesson and see if there is something immediately obvious that you cannot feel/see.

Exactly this happened to me. Lasty year cut from 19 - > 13 in two weeks in April, played to it for the rest of the season and into the winter. Turn of the year my game started going from bad to worse, horrible duck hooks and tops, couldn't hit woods at all, still struggling to hit my 3 wood now. Had 8 or 9 0.1's so far this year, up to 14 and despondant beyond belief. Not too bad in casual knocks with family, but as soon as I start putting a little pressure on myself, swindle/ comp etc. it just degenerates into a big mess - 15 points in the last stableford I played a couple of weeks back.

Since seen my pro, have two adjustments to make, both in the hands, been working with it for about a week and already straightened up the hook significantly. It's not fixed completely, needs a lot more practice, but general shots last weekend were encouraging, and left me feeling there was light at the end of the U bend.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm pretty sure my swing is different almost every time I play. :lol:

I agree with this. I don't actually have "a swing". Especially one that is anywhere near repetitive. If the ball starts going everywhere the only thing i try consciously to do is not take the club so far back on the backswing.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
In reply to the original post i can completely understand. I've been playing the game now for nearly 30 years and it happens all the time. The spell i am going through right now is by far the worst i have ever experienced.

I play off of a 3 handicap at the moment and for the last year my golf has been dreadful. I know that this is due to other distractions in life. My son is now 2 1/2 so most of my spare time tries to go on him, which, whether i like it or not is detrimental to the quality of my golf.

The strange thing is that i'm not sure i'm that bothered anymore. I've been fighting it for a while now and refusing to accept that my change in lifestyle means that i have to expect my golf to be impacted. But the fact remains that it's not that i can't play golf, or practice. It's that if i could, would i really want to? or would i want to spend time with him instead. The answer is obvious. So i've started to come to terms with that now and just accept the bad shots.

Golf is hard. The only way you get better is by practicing. What you watch on the TV isn't indicative of how even the tour players really play, because they also don't play great golf all the time. You only get to see the good stuff.