How can a par/bogey competition be a qualifier

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
This is true, but surely the fact that a net bogey and a net double bogey have the same effect on your score in a par comp but a different effect in a stableford and a medal, must mean that using a par comp as a qualifier is flawed.

You play a bit of Matchplay don't you.

How does it work there? Does it matter if you lose a hole by 1 shot or 2? Surely that's the same?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is true, but surely the fact that a net bogey and a net double bogey have the same effect on your score in a par comp but a different effect in a stableford and a medal, must mean that using a par comp as a qualifier is flawed.

You can also say that stableford is inherently flawed as a horrendously high score on a hole is masked by "a blob".

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nope. Dont think its proper golf or how it should be played for qualifying competitions.

Stableford is ok for a friendly game to make it interesting.

Well, that is EXACTLY how the handicap scoring system works! In EVERY QUALIFYING COMPETITION! Minus the Bogey/Par ones we ae discussing of course!

Last edited:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can also say that stableford is inherently flawed as a horrendously high score on a hole is masked by "a blob".

You could say that, but as an horrendous score on a hole in a medal is rounded down to a nett double bogey for handicap purposes at least they are both standard, unlike a par comp when the worst you can score on a hole is a net bogey.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lets consider this. Bogey comps are matchplay against the course but unlike 'normal' matchplay everyone in the competition is playing against the same opponent, who always plays par. So, in this case its fair to award or penalise each player on their comparative results.

As the comp is a form of matchplay it matters not a hoot by what score you win a hole by as long as you win it. I guess if someone is offended by the format then there are other competitions to play in.

I think I have convinced myself it's OK :thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
A slight, pedantic?, correction. wrt to 'Matchplay',

While commonly termed 'matchplay against the course', Bogey/Par comps are Strokepley, not Matchplay.