How bad does it need to be

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Just a general question in how bad the condition of your course would be before you'd seriously look at jumping ship. Played today and greens still very poor, greenkeepers had cut fairways and semi rough but left lots of cut grass lying over fairways etc, course in general just not looking all that great

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a personal question.

Only you can know when it's gone too far.

If I have a nagging doubt I like to sort it before it turns into anything more.

Sounds like you already know.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If our course is bad then the other courses in the general area will be worse so the question (I hope) would not arise.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I play out of the municipal courses in troon. Not really much can be done other than writing in the comments book or emailing the 'greenkeepers' superiors but quite honestly both are a road to nowhere. Council run the courses, dictate the budget etc the courses in general are just suffering from a lack of investment and also the grounds staff don't appear to have the necessary skills to adequately look after 3 golf courses

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
To be fair, were coming off the back of one of the wettest first 1/4s I can remember, coupled with two exceptionally cold snaps which delayed Spring.
Now the warmer weather is here the grass is going crazy, you can almost watch it grow.
And it takes time to cut. We still have areas that are very soft, even after the 25+° of recent days.
Plus there will be other jobs that need doing that couldn't be done during the early spring.
It takes time to catch up.
Give them a couple more weeks....it is still only early May.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
What you describe is very similar to ours at the moment. It’s a tough choice.

Put up with it in the hope it gets better or move to greener pastures and put up with a couple of months of finding your feet at a new club....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A very personal question by the OP. I can see how the cut grass is an issue but as others have said, it's been a bumper time for growth in the last week or so and so the green staff have a tough job on their hands. Our semi at the moment is very penal and needs cutting as even finding it is becoming an issue but there is only so much a limited work force can do especially when you factor in green cutting and all the other jobs that need doing. At the moment my course (semi rough aside) is in top condition do I'm a long way from going and it would take a lot more than the condition laid out in the OP to make me reconsider

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I play out of the municipal courses in troon. Not really much can be done other than writing in the comments book or emailing the 'greenkeepers' superiors but quite honestly both are a road to nowhere. Council run the courses, dictate the budget etc the courses in general are just suffering from a lack of investment and also the grounds staff don't appear to have the necessary skills to adequately look after 3 golf courses

Our Green keeper reckons this year his schedule and course condition is a full month behind.
And seemingly in central Scotland we've only had 60 dry days in the last 365.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ireland is pretty shocking in places. our home course greens are still not great. was at portstewart last weekend and their riverside course greens were brutal. had a peek at the strands practice putting green and it was even worse.

best greens I've seen so far has been ormeau park in Belfast. moyola's were decent but course still soft as hell.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our Green keeper reckons this year his schedule and course condition is a full month behind.

BTW we played the Darley a few months ago along with Virtuocity, and it was in much better condition than any non links course in central Scotland that i've played . Give Virtuocity a PM for a game, he plays there quite often. :thup:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I think you also have to consider what you pay against being a member of a private club of similar standard.

If clubs you could join in the same area are similar in price but conditions are better, then move, if they are better but much more expensive, then in essence you can’t expect too much for what you pay.

Every member of clubs look for different things, and being a muni this may be very different to your expectations, so, do you want value for money but have to accept it won’t be perfect or quick to react to better weather conditions as they (green keepers/council) have other responsibilities also, or better quality with dedicated staff, machinery and will invest in the course, that decision will dictate what you pay for your Golf and can expect from it.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
If the greens stay as bad as they are at the moment at my place, I would consider moving next year. Inconsistent grass coverage, speeds and grass length. I've played a few new courses this week and its been an absolute pleasure to putt on nice surfaces for a change and the difference shows on my scorecard.

However, a new sprinkler system has been installed and the green staff have talked of promising changes to treatment and seeding, so fingers crossed for improvements as it still only very early in the year.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having been with a club going from generally playable (I could break 80) to closing I can tell you it really depends on the person and their investment.

A nearby club offered an incentive to jump ship and half the club left in one week.

Revolt

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I stay in Uddingston as well, small world....Play at Kirkhill which has drained fantastically, greens were lightning quick today!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I stay in Uddingston as well, small world....Play at Kirkhill which has drained fantastically, greens were lightning quick today!
Your course is built on a 45 degree hill and all the water drains off down the hill onto our course :rofl:
Anytime you fancy a game just let me know, i know a few Kirkhill members , it's always good to meet another local :thup:

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our course is a total embarrassment at the moment. The new fairway cutter has been broken for two weeks now it is difficult to tell the difference between the rough and fairway. We have an exchange visit tomorrow and I dread to think of the reviews they will pass on to others.