Houston, we have a problem!

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
I wouldn't know what a 'medium firm' shaft would be to be honest - way too vague a classicfication IMHO.

You could have two stiff shafts alongside each other with the same letter S on them but would play completely differently. A good fitter within Callaway would know how the stiffness profile along the length of the shaft varied and choose one of the stiffs over the other depending on your particular swing. For example, some stiffs have a softer tip section than others, some have the kick point further up the shaft, both of which would have an impact on results.

Your swing speed is only one of 5 variables that determines the type of shaft. You probably are already aware that there are no standards in the Golf industry and an S in say a matrix shaft would/might be a lot stiffer than an S from Grafalloy for example.

Just see if there is someone at Callaway who you could talk it through with and see if they have suggestions that woudl help.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Callaway used to have a 'firm' shaft, I use one.

It's not surprising it's not really working out as it was a very quick 'fitting' and based on SS more than anything I'll wager.

I had one once that after 10 strikes he said "..think we'll just fit the same shafts that are in your current irons...":eek:

I'd bought them on ebay 4 weeks prior, wasn't that lucky

swanny32

Journeyman Pro
Tiptree, Essex - Where they make the Jam!
www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk
Like all Fittings, there's an obligation to make it work - even if what seems to work on the day turns out to be not quite right a few rounds later. Same happened to me - except in reverse. I had so much more confidence in the new one that I swing faster/harder and went out of that shaft's zone. A slightly more stable one and hey presto!

So it's not a case of trying, finding it not suitable, then rejecting it - and possibly saying the fitting process doesn't work - as you would do if you simply bought a shaft to try. there's some 'after sales service/warranty' involved with proper fitting that you don't get with off the shelf or DIY testing.

But you are right. No point playing with a club that doesn't fit if you have one that does.
Waiting to hear back from Callaway to see if we can resolve the issue. Might head down to Chessington when I get a chance and take my Amp with me, as was suggested above.

D

Deleted member 15344

Waiting to hear back from Callaway to see if we can resolve the issue. Might head down to Chessington when I get a chance and take my Amp with me, as was suggested above.

Good,luck and hope they can get it sorted as must be frustrating and a moral dilemma for you :thup:

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ill lay a pound to a penny that you're swinging too fast to try and justify the stiff shaft and coming over the top. Hit a few balls with a slow swing, see the ball away off the tee and see what happens. The swing speed/ shaft stiffness cant be that critical, most golfers who use a stiff shaft can hit a regular and vice versa!

This was me after my fitting at Ping, fitted for stiff shaft in my irons. Sub consciously I was swinging harder to justify the shaft. My pro spotted this and told me to swing at 80% as the stiff was for dispersion not distance. This works a treat and when I remember the strike is so much better.