Hook help

BluenoseGolfer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Basically, the last 3 rounds of golf i've played, out of no where I've developed a chronic hook. Pretty much every shot is hooking now, and my confidence is shattered, I used to feel so confident with a 5/7 iron in hand, but now I'm petrified! So what could be the main reasons that I've suddenly gone from having what my pro said a good swing to this?!

The hooks stay low and hook immediately after impact if that's any help, oh and my other variation is a push :D

chiv

Club Champion
Visit site
it could be all the worry about everton's small squad...or more likely that on your follow through your coming around your body a bit quick rather than a bit higher. Thats probably why you are pushing because you're not swinging all the way through, good luck (Moysey's a top manager)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I used to feel so confident with a 5/7 iron in hand, but now I'm petrified!

Tricky without seeing your swing, but I feel the above could be the problem.
You fear a hook, your body stops turning and the arms go flying passed your body and hooking it.
Try and make a good aggresive hip turn through the shot and see if that helps.
If it doesnt, it could be a grip issue.
Keep us informed.

BluenoseGolfer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys, a few of the points I'm thinking yeah that's it, then I read the the next and think or maybe its that.. :D

Guess I'll just have to get out there tomorrow and try a few things, if it persists I'll have a lesson, its really depressing :(

BluenoseGolfer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm actually pretty sure its a grip issue, I agree with bob that the mental side has had a big effect and is undoubtedly making things worse.

However my pro said the main fault with my swing was my shoulder alignment, and since then I've been concentrating on getting the shoulders correct, THEN gripping the club in the most comfortable way without actually looking at the position.

leaney

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Most likely a grip issue mate, it's very easily fixed.

I had the same problem, then I watched a few youtube clips to sort my grip and it improves no end.