Honma fitting @ North Hants yesterday ????

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date

Humpy

Visit site
Hi James. Myself and Bighairydel had a great time. Arrived about 12:30 and met up with the Golf Monthly, Honma and Sports Impact guys. Went out to the range at about 1:30 and Luke the fitter took us through the fitting process individually. Essentially this consisted of hitting our 7 iron and using the stats from Flightscope and then trying out Honma 7 irons with different heads, shafts, etc finding which gave the best results and which we preferred. We both gained about a club in distance but perhaps more importantly dispersion was a lot tighter.

Same process with the woods. I did struggle a little with the Honma driver although I suspect that is because my current driver is a Titleist 983 i.e. an antique and consequently the head on this is a lot smaller than current drivers. I certainly preferred the 455 head rather than the 460. I also went for a 3 and 5 wood option although I think Del went for a hybrid and dropped the 3 iron. The Honma pitching wedge (they call it a 10) has 43 degrees so I went for a 50 and 58 degree wedges.

We never felt rushed to make a decision on what we preferred. I honestly think that Luke would have been happy to stay there for as long as we wanted to. Hospitality we received from everyone at North Hants Golf Club was first class too.

Thanks to everybody at Golf Monthly, Honma, Sports Impact and North Hants Golf Club.

D

Deleted member 1147

What irons did you have before, were they custom fitted for you?

and what head/shaft did you opt for?

Humpy

Visit site
I have a set of Nike Pro Combo that I bought off the shelf at AG about 7/8 years ago. Basically I saw them, liked them, tried them, bought them. I don't even think I had the lie checked.

I'm 99% certain I've gone from the TW 747vx heads but I'm embarrassed to say I don't have a clue what shaft I've gone for. I was determined to just let the fitter do his thing and decide on what was giving me the best numbers and felt the best.

Humpy

Visit site
I really couldn't believe it when I received the email saying I'd won!

Just shows, it's worth entering these comps!

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Brilliant write up and excellent prize... I had everything crossed when I entered this.

One thing I’d love to do is a full bag fit but these days you’d need a spare £2-3k for high end gear.

If I ever get a windfall would love to go to tour x and do exactly that.

Keep us all updated on how you get on throughout the season.... are you going to sell all old gear or hold onto “just in case”? I think I’d get rid of the old gear and have confidence it’s the right fit for me

Humpy

Visit site
What I intend to do is try and get some yardage figures with my current clubs (I know I should know that anyway but I've never measured it before) and then do the same with the Honma's when they arrive. I'm a bit of a stats geek (I record number of fairways, GiR and putts per round) and will probably flesh that out a bit more maybe with a post round summary of how I'm finding the clubs. Sam from Golf Monthly wants to do a follow up interview in a few months so it's only fair I give him more than he needs for it.

As for my current clubs, I don't see much of a market for them but you never know. I don't really want to keep them though as there will always be that temptation to go back to them especially in the early days when I'm still getting used to the Honma's.

I'll certainly keep everyone posted although I don't think I'll be able to give any updates until June time as although the irons should be through in a couple of weeks, the woods are being made in Japan (how mad is that? Japan!) so will take a little longer to arrive.

bighairydel

Visit site
Yeah, i'll second Humpy's write up, we were treated like royalty and Luke (Honma fitter) was fantastic.
I had a great day, well worth the trip down from Glasgow.
I have a set of Mizuno MX200's, an Ebay purchase special, as most of my clubs are. I've never bought a full set of clubs before so this is just a dream come true!
I learned a lot on the day about the subtle differences in shafts and the massive effect they have on the outcome of the shots. Would definitely recommend getting fitted if you're ever buying any clubs.
Greater distances in my irons (mainly due to the stronger lofts) but with similar ball flight and more importantly same decent angles. A huge plus for me was the dispersion, much tighter and reduced my miss hits drastically on both driver and irons.
I went for a mixed set, the more forgiving 747P 4,5 and 6 irons then the 747Vx for the 7,8,9 and 10. I went for a 3 wedge setup, 52, 56, 60. Driver wise I went for the 9.5 460c lofted up to 10.5 (gives me scope to de-loft it as I get better) 3 wood and a 19 degree hybrid completed the setup. All very classy and understated, they look so much better in real life compared to online or magazine pictures.
Went into really good detail during the whole process, even down to how many wraps of tape under the grips to get the perfect fit for my hands.
I have some lofty ambitions this year with regards getting my handicap down and i'll now no longer have the excuse to blame the clubs!

D

Deleted member 1147

So you were both “off the shelf “ buyers before.

I thought it would have been interesting to see if Honma could have fitted someone who had previously been cf’d, to see if their clubs could have been an improvement. As it’s almost guaranteed that you’d improve on eBay or off the shelf purchases.
To me that would have been a real test of the equipment- how much better is new Honma equipment compared to 3 year old Titleist or Mizuno etc which was also made to measure ?

Glad you both enjoyed it though & thanks for the write ups.

We’ll need to see some pictures at some point as well👍

D

Deleted member 1147

Did you get to play North Hants ?
It’s a lovely course

D

Deleted member 21258

Great to read the write ups, would also be interested in updates and how you think the fitted clubs have helped out ?

You lucky two, sure GM had plenty of people who applied, cant think why :D

The opportunities that GM & the other companies give to the forum, are amazing.

bighairydel

Visit site
Yeah I feel the luckiest guy alive! I've played golf for years though never seriously until this year, ( joined my first golf club earlier this year and only just got my first handicap the other day ) so to win a custom fitted set of clubs of this standard is something I would never even consider let alone afford!
I'll post a few write ups about how I get on, it's gonna be the longest few weeks of my life waiting for these to arrive! :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Humpy

Visit site
Update!! Had my driver, 3 wood and 5 wood delivered last week. First thing that surprised me was the lightness of them. But then again I'm used to an old school Titleist 983 and 2 steel shafted Titleist 904F woods!!

Took them for a quick 5 holes on Saturday and first impressions are very favourable. Sit nicely behind the ball and the trajectories are as expected. Was getting a few out of the heel but I suspect this is down to the extra length of the shafts; they are all at least an inch longer than my current woods. Will also need to do some trial and error with tee height as I suspect I need to tee the ball higher than I do with my 983.

But all in all, I'm looking forward to gaming them regularly.

Humpy

Visit site
Hi ADB, I'm currently on holiday so the irons could be at home waiting for me....

I was told a few weeks ago that it would take 8 weeks for them to come through so that's end of June-ish.

bighairydel

Visit site
Well I had a very nice delivery on Tuesday, everything delivered all bar one wedge and a bag.
Had 2 rounds with them all bar the driver as it was delivered set as standard initially, I've now since changed it to the settings I had at the fitting and I'm now hitting it well.
What can I say! These are amazing clubs. When you pure them they just feel and sound unbelievable. I went for a mixed set so have the TW747P in the 4,5 and 6 irons. These are pretty strong lofted, almost a full club more than my old Mizuno MX200'S so the distance gain is huge, more importantly though is the flight, still goes similar heights and the same if not better stopping power but with a much more penetrating start to the flight (if that makes sense). Although they are not forged like the 7,8,9 and 10 747VX they don't sound or feel that different at all (if I was blind folded I probably wouldn'tbe able to tell the difference) . The 747VX are a thing of beauty though, much, much nicer in real life as opposed the pictures online or in magazines. Slightly smaller heads and a thinner top line but definitely not scarily so. They have a small tungsten weights in the toe of them to give a little forgivness but to be honest comparing them to my old supposedly forgiving set I've not noticed any massive difference in that respect. They are also stronger lofted and go for miles again with great spin rates and heights (compared to my old clubs). Much tighter dispersion all round so will definitely be a much needed boost in my consistency.
The wedges however are just phenomenal, I've never tried brand new wedges before as my old ones were bought second hand (as all my clubs were) but there is just no comparison to them. The spin off of them is astounding, playing in the wet, a pitch from 80 yards, from the rough it bounced and then checked up stone dead right next to the pin. This was not a one off, I was firing darts! I've never had that much spin on offer before even in the dry let alone a pissy wet Scottish day!
The 3w is great as well, it has a similar construction as the driver with the lightweight carbon crown and I instantly hit it like I've owned it for years. The 19° hybrid had its work cut out as my 'go-to' club was my existing Titleist H1, however again I was not disappointed. Lovely sound and strike off of it and I couldn't miss with it.
The driver, now that its been setup for me I'm hitting well enough, still have a slight adjustment to the way I'm striking but already from the one range session I've had it's definitely more forgiving than my old TM RBZ driver. Looks to be similar distance wise but with a slightly higher flight, and it sounds like a gun going off, which I love! 😊
Considering my old irons were 3/4 of an inch longer I wasn't expecting to adjust so quickly to the new clubs but in my first medal (first full round) with them I managed my second ever best round and it was pissing down so I'm chuffed to bits with them. My handicap is coming down very quickly!
It still doesn't feel real that I won these, everyone involved has been amazing, from the fitting day right through to delivery and the product itself is simply stunning, I would never even consider such a high end product but if I had the money I'd certainly be checking out the Honma's especially knowing now the high attention to detail they go to in the manufacturing process.
If you get the chance, go see them in the flesh. I'll try and post some pictures up on here for you all to drool over 😉🤣